• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Day Of A Stock On The Met Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
No idea on the last day, but September is the last month apparently with the railtour on the 29th

Chris125

Established Member
The District Dave forum is probably the best place for info on this, it *looks* like they'll be operating up to the date of the tour though that could obviously change.

Chris

Class377/5

Established Member
The offical line was after the Olympics. Remember everything stops for TfL until after the Olympics so an plans are currently not 100%.

Dstock7080

Established Member
The offical line was after the Olympics. Remember everything stops for TfL until after the Olympics so an plans are currently not 100%.
The official news from within LU was to deliver all the S8s by the Olympics, with just 2 trains to come this already guarantees the A Stock don't need to run.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I believe that, until September, A stock will be diagrammed so that 4 peak-hour diagrams will operate. After that, this will be reduced by one diagram per week until the 29th when there will be a tour of some kind, hopefully.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I believe that, until September, A stock will be diagrammed so that 4 peak-hour diagrams will operate. After that, this will be reduced by one diagram per week until the 29th when there will be a tour of some kind, hopefully.

This sounds quite similar to the withdrawal process used for the 1967 Stock - which was reduced to peak hour only workings for its final few months.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I spent most of today on the Met and only two were out; 5034 + 5188 and 5062 + 5118.

Be warned, 5118 was sounding very unhealthy indeed - I think it was a compressor...

5116 + 5230 made the journey of doom to Northwood.

astock5000

I spent most of today on the Met and only two were out; 5034 + 5188 and 5062 + 5118.

Be warned, 5118 was sounding very unhealthy indeed - I think it was a compressor...

5116 + 5230 made the journey of doom to Northwood.
5090 + 5061 were also running in the morning, and 5022 + 5061 in the evening. This leaves 5090 not coupled to anything and apparently it was running on train 413 (Amersham - Aldgate off-peak) when it was taken out of service...

CCF23

5090 + 5061 were also running in the morning, and 5022 + 5061 in the evening. This leaves 5090 not coupled to anything and apparently it was running on train 413 (Amersham - Aldgate off-peak) when it was taken out of service...

Yeah 5060+5090 were running on 413 from Amersham-Aldgate when it was taken out of service at Harrow-on-the-Hill. It was replaced by an S Stock, although 5060 was later reformed with 5022 at Neasden and returned to service in the evening peak running train 466, a fast Amersham service.

5189+5034 (454) and 5119+5062 (443) were also running during the off-peak alternating between Watford and Uxbridge trains.

All four remaining sets were out during yesterdays evening peak, as 5103+5094 also were seen on a Chesham fast service.

Dstock7080

Established Member
It now looks as if the last A Stock ran in service in the morning of Friday 27 July when T461 started from WAT1, 5118+5189.

There maybe one "last running day" just before the planned official Rail Tour on Saturday 29 September.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
So it appears that they were true to their word, the A Stock were (almost) gone by the Olympics.

I'm hoping for confirmation of the farewell tour soon, I left booking the 1967 Stock tour far too late, and don't want to make that mistake again :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Post #843 on the A Stock formation reports on District Dave suggests that some will see occasional peak use throughout the Olympics in order to keep them servicable, so it is probably worth keeping your eyes open for the peak only diagrams.

NY Yankee

I hope they do run for one last time before the railtour. Maybe in the future I'm going to cry when the 1996 stock will get retired.:cry:

SteamontheMet

After having a brief conversation with two Met drivers on Friday, the last 'A' stock's in service are on the Wednesday 26th September 2012.

I am not sure of the running no's of the two remaining sets.

On Thursday 27th one set will go to Northwood Sidings whilst the other will operate the 'A' Stock tour on the Saturday 29th September 2012.

I have told the tour is £40 but it's better to check with the LT Museums booking/reversation number if anyone has it.

Also must mention that 30 S8's have potential crack in Bogies and may have to be sent back to Bombardier.

Source two Met Drivers

SteamontheMet.

30! Oh dear, I knew everything was too good to be true. Well hopefully the D stock may last a little longer now until they find a solution. Are the D stock still going to the Harrogate line?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On what grounds are they banning under 11s?!:-x

My son ( who is 6 in mid October ) was really looking forwards to this tour but he obviously cannot go on it now. Looks like his only A stock ride will remain the short King's Cross - Baker Street hop we managed for him early this year.:(

eastwestdivide

Established Member
30! Oh dear, I knew everything was too good to be true. Well hopefully the D stock may last a little longer now until they find a solution. Are the D stock still going to the Harrogate line?

Not sure if "still" is the right word there - it was never more than a proposal from someone with no power to implement it (Harrogate Chamber of Commerce?).

Met Driver

Established Member
On what grounds are they banning under 11s?!:-x

My son ( who is 6 in mid October ) was really looking forwards to this tour but he obviously cannot go on it now. Looks like his only A stock ride will remain the short King's Cross - Baker Street hop we managed for him early this year.:(

I gather it is due to there being no toilet breaks provided in the schedule after lunch.

Shame; like the D78 stock. I can't believe they've banned 11 year olds either. I'm 15 so I could go but I'm not going due to school work and that I don't live near London, but if you want to continue this hobby then why not let the 11 year olds go! (I'm sure a porta cabin the A stock (a joke of course!)) I would be really annoyed if I was under eleven and couldn't go.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
$40 because it is a fund raiser for the Railway Children charity. I'd only describe it as "a bit steep" if they have poor ticket sales- if it is full or nearly full I'd say they'll have pitched the price just right!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I gather it is due to there being no toilet breaks provided in the schedule after lunch.

So basically my well behaved son ( nearly 6 ) is banned from coming along with me but a group of incontinent travel club members could be filling up ( hopefully not literally! ) the next carriage?

Hmmm...

D365

Veteran Member
So basically my well behaved son ( nearly 6 ) is banned from coming along with me but a group of incontinent travel club members could be filling up ( hopefully not literally! ) the next carriage?

Hmmm...

I agree :| Would make the event but I live away from London, plus I'll be bogged down with schoolwork. Trying to catch an A Stock tomorrow but with only four covering for S Stock, it's very unlikely...

Last edited:

NY Yankee

They are going to prohibit children under 11 for the tour? What a shame! All people of all ages should go to the last A stock train!

Status
Not open for further replies.