• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Day Of A Stock On The Met Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchester77

Established Member
I've seen pictures- good to see that they made a headboard for the day.

I'd be interested in seeing them as ive searched flickr but couldnt find any. i expected everyone to upload them later but still none. please could you post a link?:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urban469

I'd be interested in seeing them as ive searched flickr but couldnt find any. i expected everyone to upload them later but still none. please could you post a link?:)

There you go. Baker Street platform 1, 26 September 2012, 0922.

Attachments

• kQFq1.jpg
    kQFq1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 58

bluegoblin7

Established Member
There's some on my Twitter and Flickr, http://twitter.com/bluegoblin7 and http://Flickr.com/bluegoblin7.

A pretty good day, and I can just agree with what everyone else has said. I spent more time photographing than riding (the fast trains were useful for overtaking!) and heard a few unusual announcements on the last run up to Watford. There was certainly a lot of interest from non-enthusiasts as well. Many asked me what the fuss was about, often taking their own photos or going for a ride once they knew. A particular 'highlight' in that sense was three young teenage girls. They'd been on the train since Moor Park on the final run from Amersham and had no idea why it was packed, or, indeed, why there was an old train out. After consulting their phones they found out, and proceeded to get rather interested.

End of an era... Till Saturday. :p ;)

urban469

There's some on my Twitter and Flickr, http://twitter.com/bluegoblin7 and http://Flickr.com/bluegoblin7.

A pretty good day, and I can just agree with what everyone else has said. I spent more time photographing than riding (the fast trains were useful for overtaking!) and heard a few unusual announcements on the last run up to Watford. There was certainly a lot of interest from non-enthusiasts as well. Many asked me what the fuss was about, often taking their own photos or going for a ride once they knew. A particular 'highlight' in that sense was three young teenage girls. They'd been on the train since Moor Park on the final run from Amersham and had no idea why it was packed, or, indeed, why there was an old train out. After consulting their phones they found out, and proceeded to get rather interested.

End of an era... Till Saturday. :p ;)

That's a lovely story!

I enjoyed watching the commuter heads turn as we pulled into the platforms (literally, their heads turned, after they saw the headboard!).

One girl, a doctor, got on with her friend at Barbican in the evening peak and told her friend that it was the last A stock, and that she'll miss these beautifully built old trains. Everyone has memories of these beasts.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm sad that I was working until early afternoon, so I couldn't get down to London for the last service run. It seems surreal that these veterans are finally gone, and I'm looking forward to saying goodbye on the tour on Saturday - not quite the same as a real service run though.

It's the end of an era - and I'm very sad to say that (not being someone who normally gets upset about change and progress!).

urban469

My *only* complaint was that the driver didn't do a super-special announcement as we pulled into Harrow for the final time. Instead he told us to say our goodbyes now and get off the train quickly as soon as we arrive. Followed by a grumpy platform announcer shouting at people to get off the equipment.

oversteer

I rode the last A-stock journey from Aldgate for a while, and it was pretty packed by Moorgate !

Surprised nobody stole a luggage rack.

causton

Established Member
I regretted not bringing a screwdriver! Only 4 screws.

I think literally everyone in the first carriage was mentioning that - and some LU staff member said "they'll be scrapped soon, take whatever you want"! Nobody took up the offer bar a few 'Items trapped in the doors cause delays' stickers though!

urban469

I think literally everyone in the first carriage was mentioning that - and some LU staff member said "they'll be scrapped soon, take whatever you want"! Nobody took up the offer bar a few 'Items trapped in the doors cause delays' stickers though!

The first carriage, otherwise known as 'the people who cheer when the doors close' ;)

It made my decision to get up at half 2 this morning well worth it.

The drivers this morning were good, pointing out to the normal travelling public it was the final day of normal service for them. Some looked confused and couldn't careless, while others got their camera phones out when they got to their stations.

Looking forward to saturday.

12CSVT

Established Member
Travelled in coach 5034 for most of the day, starting with the 1212 Aldgate to Amersham. Whilst the train had a good contingent of enthusiasts, the 1808 Amersham to Watford and 1917 Watford were completely wedged.

Most surreal sight of the day, a young boy,probably about 7 or 8, and his mum got on the 1646 Amersham to Aldgate (I think at Moor Park). The boy was begging his mum to be allowed to travel on the 1917 off Watford when he realised the significance of the occasion.

The front coach of the 1917 off Watford (5034) was so wedged that the train momentarily lost door interlock on the approach to Harrow on the Hill. Although nobody managed to pinch a luggage rack, somebody did manage to climb onto one of the racks.

And coaches 5094 and 6094 were at Northwood, whilst 5095 and 6095 were taken by the grim reaper Allely's low loader during the day.

Established Member
I had to get up at half past three and get the first train to London, the day costing £40 in anytime rail fares. Was definitely worth it though, I did the entire diagram of T412 and have many fond memories of A Stock. My Uncle lived in Wapping at one point and I remember using A Stock on the ELL to visit him. I also remember my Dad taking me to London for the first time when I was four or so, and him explaining to me how the Metropolitan trains had forwards and backwards seating rather than sideways. Good memories indeed. Farewell A Stock, the Metropolitan won't be (and the ELL isn't) the same without them.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I was on board from Baker Street in the morning right through to the end at Harrow, in the middle DMs. Not a lot I can add to what has already been said in the various posts above!

One point - this wasn't just the last ordinary timetabled A Stock service; it was the last ordinary timetabled Cravens service anywhere in the World.

BigVince76

Aww damn it, I really need to pay more attention! I have to go Chesham tomorrow and was about to ask what chance I'd get an A stock, guess the answer is a big fat ZERO! Too bad, I loved these trains. I lived in Amersham for a while so have fond memories of bouncing down to Baker St. on them. If only I had checked this thread 24 hours ago... grrrr

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Well worth travelling on - I felt sorry for normal passengers trying to get home when this packed A stock ran in to Finchley Road.

(the train got hit by a graffiti vandal on the rear between Watford and Harrow)

Daniel

Established Member
I was on board from Baker Street in the morning right through to the end at Harrow, in the middle DMs. Not a lot I can add to what has already been said in the various posts above!

One point - this wasn't just the last ordinary timetabled A Stock service; it was the last ordinary timetabled Cravens service anywhere in the World.

Nice to see you at Amershsam!

I was on it up front from 1119 HOH S to 1400 RIC S, then off to Harrow 'box to signal it to it's doom!

Hope those of you on the last run enjoyed the slow approach to Harrow - the cabin is a good vantage point for photos, you know!! ;)

asylumxl

Established Member

A few forum members were on the train, we thought we saw you but we were unsure!

I was on it up front from 1119 HOH S to 1400 RIC S, then off to Harrow 'box to signal it to it's doom!

Hope those of you on the last run enjoyed the slow approach to Harrow - the cabin is a good vantage point for photos, you know!! ;)

Stop being a jammy git :P.

TheVicLine

Wish me luck as you wave 'A' goodbye
27 September 2012

Last passenger service for historic Metropolitan line trains

Train enthusiasts were out in force on Wednesday for the last customer service run on the Metropolitan line of the longest-serving tube train, the 50-year old A stock.

Running between Amersham and Aldgate throughout the day, the last run was a nostalgic one for many customers and staff, and featured on the London Tonight news programme, including an interview with Chief Operating Officer Howard Collins.

Ian West, a train operator for 32 years, drove the final train on Wednesday and is also one of the five drivers for the Last A stock rail tour on Saturday 29 September in aid of The Railway Children charity. He said: "The trains have done sterling service and we will miss them."

Mike Brown, Managing Director, London Rail and Underground, said: "The old Metropolitan line trains have been great servants to the millions of people that have used the line over the years. However, at over 50 years old, it is now time to bring in the new generation of train that are walk through, air conditioned and more accessible."

Customer comments included: 'It's the oldest train here - a piece of heritage" and 'It's sad to see them go'.

The A stock trains have been replaced by a fleet of S8 trains and the upgrade of the SubSurface Railway will delivery a 27 per cent increase in capacity on the Metropolitan line.

Cut and pasted from the LU internal intranet :D

urban469

That's hilarious. I was wondering why we were stuck outside Harrow for so long! The long goodbye. Come on then, I want to see the pics that held up our journey ;)

RPM

Established Member
I'm very surprised they have disposed of the entire A stock fleet before seeing how the S8 stock fleet copes with its first Met Line slippy season. Hard to predict how the new software will cope with the extreme conditions on the Ricky - Amersham section. Might have been an idea to keep back a handful of A stock sets until the end of the year - there's plenty of siding space at Rickmansworth.

Manchester77

Established Member
I'm very surprised they have disposed of the entire A stock fleet before seeing how the S8 stock fleet copes with its first Met Line slippy season. Hard to predict how the new software will cope with the extreme conditions on the Ricky - Amersham section. Might have been an idea to keep back a handful of A stock sets until the end of the year - there's plenty of siding space at Rickmansworth.

How many we're in service this time last year? Maybe LU thought that they worked ok then so there was no need for further tests etc

WinterChief

The S Stock has been rolled out over the past 2 years which they will have encountered slippy season already.

The A Stocks didn't exactly cope very well in the slippy season. They require covers to stop snow from melting and flashing over the motors every winter. They have wheel slip protection (which doesn't kick in till quite late upon motoring) but they regularly got flats requiring a lot of work to re-profile the axles down, and of course doing damage to the track.

S Stock is fitted with WSP probes on every axle which will cut motors in and out as required. Much more protection and better than the A Stock if you ask me!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

A few forum members were on the train, we thought we saw you but we were unsure!
Please do introduce yourselves - but bear in mind I am a bit cloth eared so given the noisy environment in which we pursue our hobby it might be an idea to write your forum ID down for me so I can place you!

Last edited:

causton

Established Member

I just thought you knew we were going to be trouble when the train tipped out, so signalled everything in front of us... not for your personal pleasure ;)

Daniel

Established Member
I just thought you knew we were going to be trouble when the train tipped out, so signalled everything in front of us... not for your personal pleasure ;)

Oh obviously there was a train in the section ahead. I just took the opportunity whilst you were held to get a photo ;)

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Well what a fantastic day today was - and completely worth the £40 price tag in my eyes.

It was an extremely enjoyable day helped by the great company met during the trip, with lots of memorable highlights, the last run out of Aldgate being the most spectacular. The driver gave some very enthusiastic whistles out of each station, and just on the approach into Wembley around Neasden the train hit 74mph - having already hit 65 and 60 earlier on during the day - to rounds of applause - if you were in coach 'A' I was the one holding up the speedo app!

A great way to round off the service of these veterans, and nice to give them one last hurrah. It was pleasing to see acknowledgement from a lot of the S stock drivers too, juxtaposed by the bewilderment of 'normal' passengers as to why the train was going non-stop!

From what I was told by the staff sitting near me, the two RATs could be in service as early as next week, whilst today's service train is to be scrapped almost immediately, with the exception of driving car 5034 (originally 5008) which will be going to Acton by road for the LTM.

The only part of the day that I felt was poor was the sales stand and arrangements at Amersham which was, to be blunt, shambolic. I don't see how they thought they could cope with three people running the sales stand, with many of the advertised items also not being available, whilst no priority was given to those on the trains either. Personally I struggled to make it back onto the train in time (But did!), and there were many unhappy people about the whole situation. Let's hope it might be remedied for Acton next weekend?

But nothing that will get in the way of a fantastic day, and all of the staff involved really deserve to be congratulated as I certainly have no complaints at all on the execution, or the friendliness of platform staff etc. Indeed - many themselves were marking the event, with many cab doors open at stations, as well as platform staff etc too.

But now I'm rambling.

Jack

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Agree completely with you Jack - it was a great day. It was a shame about the situation at Amersham - the poor station staff were really trying hard to control things but had a pretty impossible task. I decided not to brave it in the end, but didn't really see anything I'd have wanted anyway.

The last run from Aldgate was fantastic and top marks to the driver - though the A Stock did prove incredibly rough riding at 74mph. The sharp breaking into Neasden for the points and the smell of the brakes will be a lasting memory.

Well done to all involved - photos and video will be uploaded to my Flickr later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.