• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Day Of A Stock On The Met Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Agree completely with you Jack - it was a great day. It was a shame about the situation at Amersham - the poor station staff were really trying hard to control things but had a pretty impossible task. I decided not to brave it in the end, but didn't really see anything I'd have wanted anyway.

The last run from Aldgate was fantastic and top marks to the driver - though the A Stock did prove incredibly rough riding at 74mph. The sharp breaking into Neasden for the points and the smell of the brakes will be a lasting memory.

Well done to all involved - photos and video will be uploaded to my Flickr later today.

You're quite right - the poor announcer on platform 1 really was trying her best to keep things moving but it just seemed to fall on deaf ears. But, as I say, it really was only one minor niggle to an otherwise excellent day.

I also forgot to mention initially that the various announcements by all the drivers were appreciated, and I felt they all did sterling jobs. Congratulations also to the driver who retired today.

I fully agree about the rough riding, and not just at Neasden! There were a couple of junctions throughout the day that seemed to be faster than normal - but all part of the atmosphere. None of us could quite believe the brake smell at first either, but - again - everything added on. Just a shame that 5034 developed a wheel flat throughout the day - mind, the braking on approach to Wembley probably sorted it out!

Likewise, my own pics + vid will be up later...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
I was very impressed and really enjoyed the day! Thanks to all who helped in some way to put on the show!

I thought the shop would have been better placed on the island platform.

Additionally, as you do with some photographers, they go to extreme lengths to get their pictures. At Chesham they had gone past the white line, some down the ramp, and one nearly stepping on the sleeper at the bottom!

I think passengers should be pre warned before the trip and if after a warning they make no movement away from the danger zone, they should be excluded from the tour.

The saddest part was the final journey and whistling at all the stops. The best bit being when it the train went over the bangs!!!

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've now uploaded my pictures at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trentsidetraveller/

I travelled in coach E throughout the tour - not the coach I'd been told over the phone but it proved to be an enjoyable position to be in. I've also got a video of the train departing Wembley Park but that will have to wait until Monday to be uploaded.

12CSVT

Established Member
Excellent tour. Excellent video by tnxrail and astock5000. Didn't realisle the A stock was capable of 74mph until 4pm today. The only disappointment was the shambolic arrangements for the sales stall at Amersham.

By the way do the class 20s normally stable at Neasden at weekends ? (Got a reasonable phot of 20096 and 20107 from the train, although not when it was travelling at 74mph !).

Excellent day.

London Transport Museum and London Underground deserve a massive well done. Even the staff at stations got in the spirit of things along the route by coming out to see it.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Were there any interesting/unusual driver/platform announcements?

I don't believe that there were any platform announcements aside from those made telling us when to re-board or, at Amersham, to try and arrange the chaos around the sales stand. There were also a few to see it off at Wembley Park. But I was riding, of course, so can't say for sure. On board, it depended on the driver - there were a few but nothing out of the ordinary, more just saying where we were getting too, and whether the doors would open or not. An announcement was made as we were about to traverse Watford North Curve. It was also interesting that most of the drivers stuck to their 'customer training' about telling us when we were held at red signals, too. I expect many on the tour would have liked as long on board as possible? But it certainly provoked an interesting conversation amongst us in the front of 5034/coach A.

Additionally, as you do with some photographers, they go to extreme lengths to get their pictures. At Chesham they had gone past the white line, some down the ramp, and one nearly stepping on the sleeper at the bottom!

I think passengers should be pre warned before the trip and if after a warning they make no movement away from the danger zone, they should be excluded from the tour.

The saddest part was the final journey and whistling at all the stops. The best bit being when it the train went over the bangs!!!

Regards photographers, from what I saw up at the front is that a lot of station staff were quite pragmatic towards photographers straying beyond normally accessible points as long as they weren't on the track - so, for example, to the ends of ramps on platforms or up the stairs to the signal cabin at Ricky! At the 'buffers' end at Chesham a lot of people were going to the far end of the train, although not onto the concrete block.

I fully agree about the last run! It was a very emotional trip to say the least. I didn't hear the bangs as they were at the other end, but it was something very fitting and we had all hoped would happen!

hope someone takes time to write up a full report for this trip

I am working on a combined write-up from my time out on Wednesday and yesterday! Should be done shortly, just working to a print deadline for my magazine at the moment, as well as a couple of Uni bits...

Jack

Daniel

Established Member
Regards photographers, from what I saw up at the front is that a lot of station staff were quite pragmatic towards photographers straying beyond normally accessible points as long as they weren't on the track - so, for example, to the ends of ramps on platforms or up the stairs to the signal cabin at Ricky! At the 'buffers' end at Chesham a lot of people were going to the far end of the train, although not onto the concrete block.

Complaints were recieved in the Metropolitan Line Control Room re persons on the track in the four foot in front of the train at Chesham. After that no other complaints were made AFAIAA.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
5034 + 5062 made the journey of doom today.

DM5034 is now safely ensconced in Acton depot, having made a much shorter and happier journey on the low loader than the other seven carriages will.

bluegoblin7

Established Member

DM5034 is now safely ensconced in Acton depot, having made a much shorter and happier journey on the low loader than the other seven carriages will.

It was talked about turning the set prior to this run due to the need to get 5034 into Acton sooner rather than later, as it was at the 'country' end after the farewell tour. From the information above, I presume this happened - but does anyone know when? Again, from what I was told the plan was to run the 'last journey' to Ricky then North Curve and back...

Just curious!

12CSVT

Established Member

Dm5034 is now safely ensconced in acton depot, having made a much shorter and happier journey on the low loader than the other seven carriages will.

r . I . P . :(

Dstock7080

Established Member
It was talked about turning the set prior to this run due to the need to get 5034 into Acton sooner rather than later, as it was at the 'country' end after the farewell tour. From the information above, I presume this happened - but does anyone know when? Again, from what I was told the plan was to run the 'last journey' to Ricky then North Curve and back...

Just curious!
5063+5034 was turned on Thursday via Neasden-Watford-Rickmansworth-Neasden, so that 5034 again faced South.

It was loaded onto the lorry so that the cab was facing rearwards.
Driving into The Depot it faced East but to unload my guess is that it now faces West.

Simon Poole

There is an Article from Issue 707 from RAIL about the A Stock

The title is
RAIL Issue 707 said:
A Fond Farewell to 'Met Vet' - at 74mph!

London's Underground A-Stock trains have finished their last workings after 51 years in service, PETER MUDGRIDGE was there for the last hurrah

It's a Awesome read about the Metropolitan vetatins

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thank you. :)

It was rather fortunate that I was able to be on board for both the 26th and 29th; had I missed out on either it obviously would not have been possible for me to summarise the two trips together and the article would not have worked so well with just one half of it would it?

errr... name spelling...!!!:roll::D

Dstock7080

Established Member
On Weds 26th, I thought the "youth element" kept occupying the leading motor cars 5063+5034, rather than filling a middle motor?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No, for the first trip into and out of Aldgate they were in the middle DMs; after reaching Amersham they went to the end DMs for the rest of the day ( And 5034 is a typo on my part for 5035 in relation to those people ).

They stuck a load of handwritten "Last A Stock" notes all over the place in both middle DMs using a notebook and sellotape!

Status
Not open for further replies.