• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last ever class 66 to be painted in special livery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
The last-built Class 66 is apparently to be painted into BR Green and named 'Evening Star'.

What do forum members think of this decision?

Personally I think it's absolutely ridiculous. No problem with a 'special' livery but to effectively repeat history by doing exactly what BR did for their last ever steam engine is so un-creative and I think it's excessive.

I fully understand the place that the Class 66s have in British railway history and the important part they've played in the expansion and development of the British railfreight market over the past 18 years so fair enough paint it green if you must... but the naming as well?

It's the last of a single class of diesel engines - a class not particularly popular with enthusiasts, not that that counts for much - and that's all. It's not like it's the last ever diesel built for the UK market.

Could they not think of anything else even vaguely appropriate rather than just 'Evening Star'? I've never understood why you would name an active loco the same thing as a retired but preserved and very famous one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

If memory serves, one of AGA's Class 90s also bears that name, making it three active locos with the same name. Not an ideal situation.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There are quite a few instances of duplicated names on the network, and a number that match preserved locomotives as well.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The last-built Class 66 is apparently to be painted into BR Green and named 'Evening Star'.

Personally I think it's absolutely ridiculous. No problem with a 'special' livery but to effectively repeat history by doing exactly what BR did for their last ever steam engine is so un-creative and I think it's excessive.

I fully understand the place that the Class 66s have in British railway history and the important part they've played in the expansion and development of the British railfreight market over the past 18 years so fair enough paint it green if you must... but the naming as well?

It's the last of a single class of diesel engines - a class not particularly popular with enthusiasts, not that that counts for much - and that's all. It's not like it's the last ever diesel built for the UK market.

Could they not think of anything else even vaguely appropriate rather than just 'Evening Star'? I've never understood why you would name an active loco the same thing as a retired but preserved and very famous one.

such froth over so little..............

trash80

Established Member
Its a homage to the original Evening Star thats all, no one is going to forget the kettle because of this. The 66 will probably end up being renamed and repainted within a couple of years anyway.

NSEFAN

Established Member
trash80 said:
Its a homage to the original Evening Star thats all, no one is going to forget the kettle because of this. The 66 will probably end up being renamed and repainted within a couple of years anyway.
And unlike the original "Evening Star" loco, it will hopefully serve for more than a few years before being scrapped!

Emblematic

Quite smart of GB Railfreight really, this gives them another loco with a heritage passenger livery, ideal for their prestige charter work if 66746 is unavailable or needs to run top and tail.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Froth over a coat of paint! (See 50 031!)

Heres a radical idea, lets be boring and paint everything the same colour! Lets not commemorate special events in history, or identify dedicated locos and their jobs. Hell, lets nor even allow any franchises to advertise their ownership, let alone add names to their engines!

That would mean no harry patch, no BOB, no for the fallen, no night and day bling bling, no VT red, no TPE star or dynamic lines, no class 50 in Intercity Exec.....

Nah, ill keep the variety thanks....

Deepgreen

Established Member
At the risk of briefly discussing what some apparently do not think worthy of mention (albeit a real -life event, rather than some of the countless pointless trivia threads that attract so much attention), I think the name is ill-chosen simply because the 9F name was applied to signify the end of the steam era, and, to a lesser extent, the end of locomotive building at Swindon (whereas the 66s are constructed overseas). This was hugely more significant than the introduction of the last example of a specific class of locomotive (either steam or diesel/electric). By the way, '9F' is the class of steam locomotives - called "Kettles" by those who seemingly lack a sense of history - of which the final member was called 'Evening Star'. It was very unusual in being a freight locomotive bearing a name.

Although the 66s have become a workhorse in much the same way that the 9Fs were supposed to be, they do not represent anything like the huge change of culture that the end of steam construction and operation did. I would prefer a name that reflects that achievement and a livery (much though I like the BR lined green) that reflects the history of the class, rather than what went decades before.

The use of this specific name for this specific locomotive may not be a major railway issue, but it does highlight the question of the use (over-use?) of locomotive/unit names these days and the cheapening that (I think) has occurred. Railway vehicle naming, if it really is something that the public/industry considers worth doing, should maintain a high standard of relevance, dignity and appropriateness.

It is odd that terms like "froth" and "getting worked up" are applied by some to threads which happen not to interest those people, whereas the obvious thing for them to do would perhaps be to ignore them and concentrate on the threads that do.

Just a view - anyway, back to the important stuff.

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
My understanding 66779 is already in her green livery and locked away at Roberts Road until May. This is the reason why she was covered up on her delivery trip to the UK and Doncaster unlike her sisters who were with 66779 on that time.

Likewise, why not have her green and Evening Star nameplate, makes it more interesting and a nice touch by GBRf too as being the last of the Class just like 92220. Having different liveries on various loco's expecially the Class 66's makes the hobby far more interesting even if occasionally one livery is not quite right for what ever reason.

Looking forward in seeing both 66746 and 66779 on the LBioT - Drax Biomass trains eventually! :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Heres a radical idea, lets be boring and paint everything the same colour! Lets not commemorate special events in history, or identify dedicated locos and their jobs. Hell, lets nor even allow any franchises to advertise their ownership, let alone add names to their engines!

That would mean no harry patch, no BOB, no for the fallen, no night and day bling bling, no VT red, no TPE star or dynamic lines, no class 50 in Intercity Exec.....

maybe we should paint everything one colour - blue maybe? ;)

At the risk of briefly discussing what some apparently do not think worthy of mention (albeit a real -life event, rather than some of the countless pointless trivia threads that attract so much attention), I think the name is ill-chosen simply because the 9F name was applied to signify the end of the steam era, and, to a lesser extent, the end of locomotive building at Swindon (whereas the 66s are constructed overseas). This was hugely more significant than the introduction of the last example of a specific class of locomotive (either steam or diesel/electric). By the way, '9F' is the class of steam locomotives - called "Kettles" by those who seemingly lack a sense of history - of which the final member was called 'Evening Star'. It was very unusual in being a freight locomotive bearing a name.

Although the 66s have become a workhorse in much the same way that the 9Fs were supposed to be, they do not represent anything like the huge change of culture that the end of steam construction and operation did. I would prefer a name that reflects that achievement and a livery (much though I like the BR lined green) that reflects the history of the class, rather than what went decades before.

The use of this specific name for this specific locomotive may not be a major railway issue, but it does highlight the question of the use (over-use?) of locomotive/unit names these days and the cheapening that (I think) has occurred. Railway vehicle naming, if it really is something that the public/industry considers worth doing, should maintain a high standard of relevance, dignity and appropriateness.

It is odd that terms like "froth" and "getting worked up" are applied by some to threads which happen not to interest those people, whereas the obvious thing for them to do would perhaps be to ignore them and concentrate on the threads that do.

Typical spotterish nonsense

Last edited:

66Yorks

Class 66's not popular? How dare you. :D

Deepgreen

Established Member
maybe we should paint everything one colour - blue maybe? ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

what typical spotterish nonsense:

should maintain a high standard of relevance, dignity and appropriateness.

I would prefer a name that reflects that achievement and a livery

cheapening

etc etc etc

The locomotive belongs to GBRF they can paint their asset pink and call it Lilly the pink if they fancy!

"Typical Spotterish Nonsense" - how so? Having some knowledge of railway history and views on today's 'scene' (and answering the question from the OP) does not a 'spotter' make. A comment, by the way, from someone whose Flickr stream is liberally scattered with 'spotterish' photos (152 class 08s to take one example) - as is mine, the difference being that I do not choose to try to belittle those who indulge!

Of course GBRF can paint it as they wish - I was stating a personal preference and views, as I made very clear. See quote from the OP:

"What do forum members think of this decision?"

DarloRich

Veteran Member
"Typical Spotterish Nonsense" - how so? Having some knowledge of railway history and views on today's 'scene' (and answering the question from the OP) does not a 'spotter' make. A comment, by the way, from someone whose Flickr stream is liberally scattered with 'spotterish' photos (152 class 08s to take one example) - as is mine, the difference being that I do not choose to try to belittle those who indulge!

Of course GBRF can paint it as they wish - I was stating a personal preference and views, as I made very clear. See quote from the OP:

"What do forum members think of this decision?"

I think it isn't worth getting your knickers in a twist about especially with all that fluff about cheapening namings etc. It is just silly. That is my opinion. BTW that doesn't mean I don't have a good knowledge of railway history or an interest in railways, their rolling stock and operations etc.

(But then you get the same stuff with football kits/racing cars/aircraft etc so perhaps it is just men that are odd ;) )

PS whats not to like about an 08? you could keep one in the garden. They are fantastic little things.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I think it isn't worth getting your knickers in a twist about especially with all that fluff about cheapening namings etc. It is just silly. That is my opinion. BTW that doesn't mean I don't have a good knowledge of railway history or an interest in railways, their rolling stock and operations etc.

(But then you get the same stuff with football kits/racing cars/aircraft etc so perhaps it is just men that are odd ;) )

PS whats not to like about an 08? you could keep one in the garden. They are fantastic little things.

Again, my "knickers are not in a twist" as you put it - I merely stated my thoughts. There was no ranting, rudeness, aggressiveness, belittling of others, etc. "It is just silly" and "all that fluff" are unhelpfully vague, and, again, "spotterish nonsense" is just a bizarre and narrow-minded way to describe the post. Having a view on the right way to do things should not make one a target for, dare I say it, bullies.

Perhaps it would be better if many people refrained from instantly putting first thoughts to keyboard and tried either to take a slightly more considered view, or ignored threads that are of no interest, as I do - for example, all the threads along the lines of "what trains have you seen today?".

By the way, yes; 08s are amazing survivors and hard not to like.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Perhaps it would be better if many people refrained from instantly putting first thoughts to keyboard and tried either to take a slightly more considered view, or ignored threads that are of no interest, as I do - for example, all the threads along the lines of "what trains have you seen today?".

They aren't my first thoughts. They would get me banned.......... ;)

it is the obsessives desire to control everything and complain when anything deviates from that "truth" that frustrates me. There are more important things to worry about.

Anyway, depending how it is done this livery/wrap/name might be a nice tribute to the railways of the past, show their longevity and celebrate both history and progress. Or it might be horrible

Deepgreen

Established Member
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They aren't my first thoughts. They would get me banned.......... ;)

it is the obsessives desire to control everything and complain when anything deviates from that "truth" that frustrates me. There are more important things to worry about.

Anyway, depending how it is done this livery/wrap/name might be a nice tribute to the railways of the past, show their longevity and celebrate both history and progress. Or it might be horrible

I agree there, I just prefer more measured responses.

I actually do look forward to seeing it, as I do relish variety; I just don't think the concept is at all comparable to the 1961 original (I'm just alarmed to be reminded that 92220 was built in the year of my birth!).

Last edited:

Emblematic

I actually do look forward to seeing it, as I do relish variety; I just don't think the concept is at all comparable to the 1961 original (I'm just alarmed to be reminded that 92220 was built in the year of my birth!).

Interesting that you call 92220 the original, given that there were at least two steam locomotives named 'Evening Star' prior to this one. And there is some resonance, last of a line, freight loco having passenger livery and so on. Given that 92220 will, I believe, be in attendance at the naming ceremony, I prefer to think of it as homage.

alexl92

Established Member

I love the variety we get, and definitely don't advocate everything being the same. But BR green on a 66 is a waste, in my opinion. I love what's just been done to 50031 even though it's not prototypical, but part of that is that most locomotives have been designed in a way that means certain liveries look fantastic on them. 66s don't have that, they're just boring. So every livery looks plain on them.

This ^

Deepgreen

Established Member
Interesting that you call 92220 the original, given that there were at least two steam locomotives named 'Evening Star' prior to this one. And there is some resonance, last of a line, freight loco having passenger livery and so on. Given that 92220 will, I believe, be in attendance at the naming ceremony, I prefer to think of it as homage.

Indeed, but I was referring to the 'inspiration' for the 66's treatment, if you like, which I think we can assume is 92220. "Homage" works I suppose - it could be an interesting event. Will the 9F be in steam, I wonder? It could haul the 66 to/around the venue!

CosherB

Established Member

I'm pretty ambivalent about this green livery and naming.

I would say, however, (without deviating from this thread for too long!) that the 66s (and the sister 59s) have made a huge difference to the culture of diesel traction used on UK freight trains in the last couple of decades (and for that matter, in mainland Europe as well). At a stroke, EWS progressively rendered the futures of Classes 20, 31, 37, 47, 56, 58 and to a lesser degree 60, pretty much redundant on freight with a single product. The fact that other operators followed with more of the same (ok, different variants have appeared over the years) tells me that the product was correct for the FOCs. With only a relative small-ish order for 70s in this time as direct comparison shows that the demand for 66s has remained high (I don't consider 68s as direct competition at all). Love 'em or hate 'em, 400 of them will be around for a very long time.

Harbon 1

I was speaking to a gentleman on a tour recently (not sure if he is on here), but he thinks the name will be something like Atlantic Conveyor rather than Evening Star.

I like his thought, and I like the idea of a two-tone BR green.

Dent

it is the obsessives desire to control everything and complain when anything deviates from that "truth" that frustrates me.

Who, in this thread, announced that they have an "obsessive desire" to "control everything"? I don't see any such announcement anywhere, are you sure it is not entirely in your own imagination?

ash39

Established Member
But BR green on a 66 is a waste

A waste of what, exactly? Paint it blue and orange or paint it two-tone green, I doubt the cost is any different.

most locomotives have been designed in a way that means certain liveries look fantastic on them

Says who? Pretty sure the necessary shape and form of the locomotive comes first and then the livery is applied to that.

66s don't have that, they're just boring. So every livery looks plain on them.

So 66718, 66720 & 66721 are boring? Not for everyone, yes. Brash, maybe, but definitely couldn't be called boring.

I think if this is the worst thing you have to worry about, you're doing OK 8-)

SeanG

Established Member
This reminds me of a group on Facebook of which I am a part, in which a number of members are complaining that a certain freight operating company (which may or may not be based in Cumbria) is effectively the antichrist, as the nameplates for some 37/4s are in the wrong position in the Large Logo livery

Status
Not open for further replies.