• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last minute tips ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Val3ntine

I’m assuming that you are working out of Waterloo depot too, I have to move closer to the depot, so you have any idea where’s best to look?

Ah whereabouts are you living now? Was it agreed that in order to take the job you must move?

For starters unless you want to fork out 1300+ min on rent even for a small studio then it’s pointless even looking close to Waterloo; not until qualified anyway at least, training salary no chance.
Definetly be prepared to travel in so take into account where you can get an easy night bus in before trains start running on super earlies or finishing super lates after trains stop running. First point of call look at all night buses/24hr bus services that go to or even near waterloo and have a look at where they go right up to their last stops and that’s already plenty of options for you. For example 341 is 24hr service therefore you can live all the way in Tottenham/Harringay and have no problems commuting to work. Other buses can have you living in east london very comfortably where I believe accomodation prices aren’t as bad as the north or West. Plenty of places in South London too, I would say South London is where majority of drivers/guards live for eg, Brixton, stretham etc. So yeah have a look at night/24hr buses and use that as a guide to see where you can live if you are flexible then you will have plenntttyyyyy of options using this method.

Lewis H

Ah whereabouts are you living now? Was it agreed that in order to take the job you must move?

For starters unless you want to fork out 1300+ min on rent even for a small studio then it’s pointless even looking close to Waterloo; not until qualified anyway at least, training salary no chance.
Definetly be prepared to travel in so take into account where you can get an easy night bus in before trains start running on super earlies or finishing super lates after trains stop running. First point of call look at all night buses/24hr bus services that go to or even near waterloo and have a look at where they go right up to their last stops and that’s already plenty of options for you. For example 341 is 24hr service therefore you can live all the way in Tottenham/Harringay and have no problems commuting to work. Other buses can have you living in east london very comfortably where I believe accomodation prices aren’t as bad as the north or West. Plenty of places in South London too, I would say South London is where majority of drivers/guards live for eg, Brixton, stretham etc. So yeah have a look at night/24hr buses and use that as a guide to see where you can live if you are flexible then you will have plenntttyyyyy of options using this method.
Thanks for your input, I’ve been looking at room shares in sort of Clapham area, it’s a possibility, it was agreed I would move, I’m in Kent at the moment, even though I live right by the A2 and also within spitting distance of the high speed rail link, it’s not close enough, but hey ho! I’ll work it out one way or another!

Val3ntine

Thanks for your input, I’ve been looking at room shares in sort of Clapham area, it’s a possibility, it was agreed I would move, I’m in Kent at the moment, even though I live right by the A2 and also within spitting distance of the high speed rail link, it’s not close enough, but hey ho! I’ll work it out one way or another!

Oh yeah Clapham is good if you can get one. It’s a shame because there are drivers from Kent and essex areas however they are in the taxi agreement due to being employed before 2003 I think is the year might be earlier, therefore they are classed as protected staff.
When do you start if you don’t mind me asking?
Good luck on your accomodation search, as I said you have plenty of options for a commutable distance to Waterloo, I think West London might be the most awkward out of all the areas but definetly even still do-able.
Well done again for acquiring the job, the training school will take great care of you they’re a really good bunch up there.

Lewis H

Oh yeah Clapham is good if you can get one. It’s a shame because there are drivers from Kent and essex areas however they are in the taxi agreement due to being employed before 2003 I think is the year might be earlier, therefore they are classed as protected staff.
When do you start if you don’t mind me asking?
Good luck on your accomodation search, as I said you have plenty of options for a commutable distance to Waterloo, I think West London might be the most awkward out of all the areas but definetly even still do-able.
Well done again for acquiring the job, the training school will take great care of you they’re a really good bunch up there.
I haven’t been given a definitive start date as of yet, I’ve been told there is a course starting in March, so hopefully that one, if not then it will be April. August 2018 to April 2019 isn’t a bad turnaround time I think as I’ve read other peoples stories on here and they’ve waited years!

Val3ntine

I haven’t been given a definitive start date as of yet, I’ve been told there is a course starting in March, so hopefully that one, if not then it will be April. August 2018 to April 2019 isn’t a bad turnaround time I think as I’ve read other peoples stories on here and they’ve waited years!

Have a colleague who originally applied 2012 and he started his course November 2017 o_O
However that is one end of extreme there’s plenty inbetween that.
Hope you get a confirmed start date soon and happy moving :lol:

hooverboy

On Moderation
. August 2018 to April 2019 isn’t a bad turnaround time I think as I’ve read other peoples stories on here and they’ve waited years!

it's abysmal!
doesn't take you that long to be passed to become 007!..unless you've been rather naughty or have relatives with an "interesting" background!

Bucephalus

....I’ve been looking at room shares in sort of Clapham area, it’s a possibility, it was agreed I would move, I’m in Kent at the moment, ..

Incidentally when I was looking for somewhere in south west London (now just looking in south), I found Surbiton to be the ultimate sweet spot in terms of value and commute time. That said, I don't know the area physically and Clapham Junction is obviously closer.

Edit: it has occurred to me that the leafy suburbs is no good when there's a 3am start, whoops!

Last edited:

Mahe

After a successful DMI, I found out today I was also successful in my MMI and have been given a conditional offer pending medical, thanks for all the advice and messages, been really helpful!

Hi Lewis,

Congratulations for passing all the stages.

Can you recall your MMI inerview and share here please. Questions they asked and how hard it was etc.
I'm currently preparing for the MMI and it would be great help if your share your thoughts.
thank you .
Mahe

Lewis H

Hi Lewis,

Congratulations for passing all the stages.

Can you recall your MMI inerview and share here please. Questions they asked and how hard it was etc.
I'm currently preparing for the MMI and it would be great help if your share your thoughts.
thank you .
Mahe
I can recall most of the questions I was asked, however if you’ve done your DMI prior, you will have already answered the questions you’ll be asked in your MMI most likely, just they’ll go into a little more detail.

I was was asked about times I worked alone, dealt with emergencies, times I’ve had to persevere to achieve something, times I’ve been relied on to work without making a mistake, a time when I’ve worked to strict rules and guidelines.

I think it’s important to remember they don’t have to relate to professional experiences neccesarily because some people haven’t got that experience.

Hopefully this helps for you, anything else you want to know, just give me a shout!

387star

On Moderation
I think drivers at central London depots should have taxis as standard and perhaps a significant pay rise to compensate for the hellish house prices

Seems a bit crazy you can be on the same money and live near to a depot in a way cheaper part of the country ie not London

Commuting into central London depots sounds unpleasant unless there is a 24/7 rail service

Only good thing is you can do an internal move to an outer depot

387star

On Moderation
Live in somewhere like luton Bedford crawley or even Peterborough with night trains to London Blackfriars which is walkable to Waterloo

Last edited:

Lewis H

Live in somewhere like luton Bedford or even Peterborough with night trains to London Blackfriars which is walkable to Waterloo
Where I live now is closer to Waterloo than any of them,
I think drivers at central London depots should have taxis as standard and perhaps a significant pay rise to compensate for the hellish house prices

Seems a bit crazy you can be on the same money and live near to a depot in a way cheaper part of the country ie not London

Commuting into central London depots sounds unpleasant unless there is a 24/7 rail service

You do get an extra £2.5k in London weight, but that doesnt neccesarily compensate for the cost of living in London. If I’m honest its not difficult to find reasonably priced living, depending on what you are prepared to do in regards to house sharing etc. The way I look at it is, I’m not far from ‘home home’ and house sharing gives me an opportunity to meet new people, new experiences all around!

Mahe

I can recall most of the questions I was asked, however if you’ve done your DMI prior, you will have already answered the questions you’ll be asked in your MMI most likely, just they’ll go into a little more detail.

I was was asked about times I worked alone, dealt with emergencies, times I’ve had to persevere to achieve something, times I’ve been relied on to work without making a mistake, a time when I’ve worked to strict rules and guidelines.

I think it’s important to remember they don’t have to relate to professional experiences neccesarily because some people haven’t got that experience.

Hopefully this helps for you, anything else you want to know, just give me a shout!

Thank you very much Lewis. Much appreciated

jen1986

i have my DMI for SWR coming up in 3 weeks, really am nervous about it. thanks for all the info above.
can anyone shed some light on how relaxed it is. Ive heard they can quite brutal. cheers

hooverboy

On Moderation

would agree london weighting is nowhere near sufficient.

if you look at it in terms of house price versus salary
northern areas approx 3-4* salary( say circa 200k)..acceptable in traditional mortgage terms
london/southeast approx 6*salary (350-400k for basic ammenity, 3 bedder in london is closer to £750k, so for the sake of equality needs to be jacked up by at least £10kpa)

the ratio's are even more ridiculous on an average wage of 30k...there is no way for a shandy drinking southerner to afford those prices.

Bromley boy

Established Member
would agree london weighting is nowhere near sufficient.

if you look at it in terms of house price versus salary
northern areas approx 3-4* salary( say circa 200k)..acceptable in traditional mortgage terms
london/southeast approx 6*salary (350-400k for basic ammenity, 3 bedder in london is closer to £750k, so for the sake of equality needs to be jacked up by at least £10kpa)

the ratio's are even more ridiculous on an average wage of 30k...there is no way for a shandy drinking southerner to afford those prices.

Totally agreed, on all fronts.

Living in London, it certainly helps when you have paid much of your mortgage off, by your early 30s, on account of your previous career, before you joined the railway, and now apparently do these crazy-ass shifts for fun.

Good times! I honestly believe I must need my head read, at times.

I must really, really like trains :D.

Last edited:

Peeler

i have my DMI for SWR coming up in 3 weeks, really am nervous about it. thanks for all the info above.
can anyone shed some light on how relaxed it is. Ive heard they can quite brutal. cheers

Hi Jen, DMI was really relaxed to be fair. You have two managers usually on your panel. They have been exactly where you are and remember how you feel. That came across to me and put me at ease. They do an introduction to the role before they fire questions at you so that breaks the ice nicely. Good luck.

Peeler

This seems the most appropriate place for this question about the MMI. I have heard that when you write down your answers before hand you have to do it in 50 words or less? Can you write your answer in bullet points?

Status
Not open for further replies.