• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Night on Casualty

Status
Not open for further replies.

D306

Established Member
Morning everyone. Last night on Casualty there was an incident involving a train. If you want to see what happened then go here
and it will show you. I think that it was a Class 117, but I am unsure.

Also, if this is in the wrong place, can a mod or admin move it please.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
As usual, Holby are years and years behind everyone else when it come to rolling stock. :lol: Wonder if that's ever happened in real life, someone wanting a train to sever their leg.

djw1981

Established Member
Yup - Munchausen's..... and various psychiatric disorders where you perceive a part of your body to be evil and wish to rid yourself of it.

me123

Established Member
Well, of course, but has anyone ever actually done it?

me123

Established Member
It is a sad condition, and hopefully a lot of the time sufferers are found before such drastic measures happen. As usual, the episode raised awareness of something (mental health and the stigma assosciated), although it was still full of rubbish actors, storylines and probably incorrect medicine in places.

Gizmogle

Established Member
DON'T INSULT CASUALTY!!!

Casualty is the highlight of my week. Those who insult it must fear my wrath!

I've not seen this weeks episode yet, I'll be able to watch it when I get home.

djw1981

Established Member
Arghh!!!! Casualty is not about medicine. Even ER is crap for that., It is a soap / drama set in a hospital. Just like no school is like Grange Hill or waterloo Road, just like no Police Station is like the Bill or Morse or Frost. And if Midsomer had that many murders no-one would live there.

And please will people stop trying to make everything into issues. The use of any medical condition or emergency in Casualty is a plot contrivance to produce the desired effect in the plot masterplan and produce 50 minutes of drama. If the BBC wanted to raise awareness, they would do a Panorama.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well, I think they do their best to raise awareness, but obviously not on the scale that something like Panorama does.

djw1981

Established Member
Hmmmm..... personally i;d rather keep my entertainment and education (in the sense of public service broadcasting separate). I guess though when nearly 1/3rd of population don't read newspapers / internet news or watch Tv news, and the audience for panorama and horizon is changing inversely to that of reality Tv, something has to be done.

In the which case a few future plotlines:
# train driver of 142 becomes ill due to fumes leaking through the roofspace
# passenger passes out due to overcrowding on 08xx from Chester-Le-Street to Newcastle
# passenger gets DVT on long west country HST journey in 'high density' carriage
# penniless EMT passenger gets dehydrated due to lack of free tea and coffee:!:
# passenger on late arriving ferry from Northern Ireland dies of boredom at Stranraer waiting for next train
# passenger gets brain implosion trying to work out of their ticket is valid on GC....:lol:

Nym

Established Member
As usual, Holby are years and years behind everyone else when it come to rolling stock. :lol: Wonder if that's ever happened in real life, someone wanting a train to sever their leg.

Somone did that once at bridlington station, was in the news, was going 5mph to the south, needed his leg amputating for gangarine and didn't want to wait on the NHS lists, so he did it hiself under a milk train (Some sort of pacer). I would have tret the driver for shock before I started to even look at the **** under the train!

The stars ryme with fat not punt ;)

David

Established Member
The last few posts have been deleted before they start an argument. If your going to squabble like little children, take it else where please.

me123

Established Member
DON'T INSULT CASUALTY!!!

Casualty is the highlight of my week. Those who insult it must fear my wrath!

I've not seen this weeks episode yet, I'll be able to watch it when I get home.

Mine too :lol: and I agree that this does raise awareness of a lot of issues, in this case mental health, also in the past (off the top of my head) HIV, railway safety (that's had a few episodes), drugs, NHS closures. All in a light-hearted way based for entertainment, but a lot of the issues reflect real-life opinions and decisions. Panorama's can't always hit hime as hard as a drama with "real" people that the audience get to know.

djw1981 said:
In the which case a few future plotlines:
# train driver of 142 becomes ill due to fumes leaking through the roofspace
# passenger passes out due to overcrowding on 08xx from Chester-Le-Street to Newcastle
# passenger gets DVT on long west country HST journey in 'high density' carriage
# penniless EMT passenger gets dehydrated due to lack of free tea and coffee
# passenger on late arriving ferry from Northern Ireland dies of boredom at Stranraer waiting for next train
# passenger gets brain implosion trying to work out of their ticket is valid on GC....

:lol:

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah great! :) Another Casualty fanatic!

Obviously, Casualty isn't out to impact the world. But I think it helps a small group of people understand some disorders and diseases, and may even make people think "hey, that's how I'm feeling" and get it checked out.

me123

Established Member
Obviously, Casualty isn't out to impact the world. But I think it helps a small group of people understand some disorders and diseases, and may even make people think "hey, that's how I'm feeling" and get it checked out.

Yes, dramatisations sometimes work better for that than a man telling you facts and showing you blurry CCTV images.

Nym

Established Member
Google Train vs Person/Man or somthihing like that, you should find some indian campaign photographs. That kinda campainging is what we need here, cos it would work a bit better than TrackOFF

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I'm suprised it's not been mentioned yet, but does anyone know where it was filmed, and what the units were? The problem with 1st generation DMUs is that they all look so similar, although the first was either a 107 or 108, with the "Country" style layout and "Derby" front ends. The SW makes me think it's a former GWR line.

Mintona

Established Member
Possible WSR...though I don't think for some reason. I'd go for somewhere around London.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's going to be a preserved railway, they wouldn't do filming like that on the mainline, and the whole thing looks like a preserved line aswell. WSR was one I was thinking too.

Coxster

Established Member
So Is casualty...
He was on about Casualty rather than Holby City, hence "Holby International Airport" in a past episode of Casualty. You also had those joint episodes a while back featuring characters from both programmes.

AlexS

Established Member
It used to be good about 10 years ago. I stopped watching it about then because I've seen all the plot lines before and the characters stopped being particularly interesting.

Coxster

Established Member
I doubt it, as "Holby" is based around the Bristol area
The location of filming doesn't really come into it, for example the train crash by the tunnel a few years back was filmed on the Nene Valley Railway! As far as the programme is concerned, a stretch of railway track is just that. If they wanted it to be that authentic then they'd have tried to have gotten something a little newer than a green liveried first-gen unit :p

petethetim

I think Casualty is the singularly depressing programme ever made ( excluding reality TV programmes), I totally detest it (maybe it is just me having spent so much time in hospital in the Past 48 months)

Status
Not open for further replies.