• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Pendolino Drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
On 8th December, after many years of operation, the last 57/3+Pendolino drag will take place. This could well be the last time a Class 57 makes it to Holyhead, as most (all) new prospective WCML operators will replace them with Class 68s. It marks the end of loco-hauled services with Virgin Trains, as the last "Pretendolino" will run on December 7th. It is very sad to see the end of loco-hauled trains, but at least with a Voyager it will not be so mournfully unreliable. Please use this thread to share news, pictures, stories and information about Pendolino drags, especially on the North Wales Coast route. The train itself will still run to the same timings, but it will be 221 operated. The end of an era is fast-approaching....

Old:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C56444/2012/12/08/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C56164/2012/12/08/advanced

New:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P50887/2012/12/15/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P50693/2012/12/15/advanced

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Why are they running the 221 to the same timings?

And I thought they were only in the May timetable anyway, obviously not

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The 57+390 combination to HHD was also used occasionally during West Coast disruption, to free up Voyagers to work on the main line when the power was out.
I guess we'll soon see if there is going to be any standby facility, or whether it's the end of 57s with VT.
The Saturday workings were only a refresher run for the crews really.

507 001

Established Member
On 8th December, after many years of operation, the last 57/3+Pendolino drag will take place. This could well be the last time a Class 57 makes it to Holyhead, as most (all) new prospective WCML operators will replace them with Class 68s. It marks the end of loco-hauled services with Virgin Trains, as the last "Pretendolino" will run on December 7th. It is very sad to see the end of loco-hauled trains, but at least with a Voyager it will not be so mournfully unreliable. Please use this thread to share news, pictures, stories and information about Pendolino drags, especially on the North Wales Coast route. The train itself will still run to the same timings, but it will be 221 operated. The end of an era is fast-approaching....

Old:

New:

What are the chances of this actually being a 57+390?
Looking at booking tickets see and don't want to waste 24 quid!

SprinterMan

Established Member
What are the chances of this actually being a 57+390?
Looking at booking tickets see and don't want to waste 24 quid!

Well, I have attempted to catch the 1438 HHD-EUS 4 times. A 57+390 turned up twice, 221115 turned up once and we had to do a set swap at Crewe, and the 4th time it was cancelled. It is booked to be invariably a 57+390, but 57/3s are so miserably unreliable that anything could happen. Just in case it does run, I would book tickets personally. Booking on the outward leg gives it less of an opportunity to break down, and you will at least SEE a 57 at Crewe, even if it doesn't wanna play ball.

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member
Well, I have attempted to catch the 1438 HHD-EUS 4 times. A 57+390 turned up twice, 221115 turned up once and we had to do a set swap at Crewe, and the 4th time it was cancelled. It is booked to be invariably a 57+390, but 57/3s are so miserably unreliable that anything could happen. Just in case it does run, I would book tickets personally. Booking on the outward leg gives it less of an opportunity to break down, and you will at least SEE a 57 at Crewe, even if it doesn't wanna play ball.

Hi Adam,
I was only going to travel on it between Chester and Llandudno Junction, Decisions Decisions!

Cheers
Rob

SprinterMan

Established Member
If anyone's interested, 57309 seems to apparently be in place for tommorows move.

Ooh, a DRS loco will be operating it :P

Do we know if the remaining 7 VT 57s will transfer to DRS on December 9th now they have the contract for Pendolino drags?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Supposedly the main cause of the cancellations, is the 390s. Not the 57s. 57s apparently rarely cause problems.

Or the computers in the 57 and 390 not wanting to talk to each other ?? I have encountered that problem once or twice on 57 drags.

Erniescooper

57314 is showing on Gemini as allocated to the drag at the moment and is currently working the ECS out of Edge Hill.

RobShipway

Established Member
Why are they stopping the 390 drag?

I thought that the Class 68's would not be coming on stream until 2014?

SprinterMan

Established Member
Why are they stopping the 390 drag?

I thought that the Class 68's would not be coming on stream until 2014?

Same reason the Pretendolino is no longer working the FO EUS-BHM-CRE. Operational simplicity, as VT will not longer be the full franchisee of WC. 68s are still mostly conjecture at the moment anyways.

fgwrich

Established Member
57314 is showing on Gemini as allocated to the drag at the moment and is currently working the ECS out of Edge Hill.

Seems to have been due to the failure of the ETS in 57309. Two out of Two no starts for DRS 57/3s, although the ETS fault is a common problem with 57s - Last weekends VT example failed with it for example.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I guess we'll soon see if there is going to be any standby facility, or whether it's the end of 57s with VT.

Surely the class 57's will have to stay with VT to act as Thunderbird's and to drag Pendolino's over unelectified track during diversions. There are no other suitable locomotives are there?

ryan125hst

Established Member
So i'm guessing they will be repainted in DRS livery?

What locos do Greater Anglia use these days? I've never been on that line, but i've seen videos of class 47's. Do they still use them?

junglejames

Established Member
although the ETS fault is a common problem with 57s - Last weekends VT example failed with it for example.

Or is it the pendy refusing to accept the ETS? Supposedly one of the main causes of failure, and what caused last weeks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So i'm guessing they will be repainted in DRS livery?

What locos do Greater Anglia use these days? I've never been on that line, but i've seen videos of class 47's. Do they still use them?

Yep. 47s are the usual thunderbird. Plus they operate any emergency short sets on the Great Yarmouth route if they are short of units. Then theres the normal Summer drags to Great Yarmouth.

RobShipway

Established Member
Surely the class 57's will have to stay with VT to act as Thunderbird's and to drag Pendolino's over unelectified track during diversions. There are no other suitable locomotives are there?

That is part of my point above, as the class 68's do not come on stream until 2014, so in the meantime you will have to use Class 57's as Thunderbirds which is also why I think the Pendolino drag should continue.

fgwrich

Established Member
Or is it the pendy refusing to accept the ETS? Supposedly one of the main causes of failure, and what caused last weeks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yep. 47s are the usual thunderbird. Plus they operate any emergency short sets on the Great Yarmouth route if they are short of units. Then theres the normal Summer drags to Great Yarmouth.

Possibly, although it seems the faliure was declared with enough time to send 57314 from Longsight. Mind you, unfortunatly there seems to be a variety of faults between the 57/3s & Pendos, ranging from ETS issues to coupling issues on the pendos, to Air Brake issues aswell - the Pendolinos system is much more sensitive to moisture than the 57s.

Speaking of the DRS / GA 47s on the Thunderbird duties, one worked another London - Norwich service reccently due to a fault with the DVT.

headshot119

Established Member

Old:

New:

Is there any actual official confirmation that it will be run as 221 vice 57+390. It seems very odd to me that they have left the long dwell in at Crewe in both directions when they wouldn't need to hook the loco on or off?

Sources for the new operator(s) leasing class 68s?

SprinterMan

Established Member
It is interesting to note that from 15th December onwards, not only are there no advance tickets available on the 1438 HHD-EUS, but even with a normal ticket there are also no seat reservations available. Who knows what will happen.....

Eagle

Established Member
It seems very odd to me that they have left the long dwell in at Crewe in both directions when they wouldn't need to hook the loco on or off?

Probably too much effort to change the timetable (you'd probably need to move a couple of other services around to do it, given how many busy Crewe is pathswise).

SprinterMan

Established Member
There were some serious shenanigans with the drag today. 390049 refused to move after 57315 coupled to it so 221116 was dispatched in it's place. This then worked the 1438 HHD-EUS as far as Crewe, where it ran into platform 12 and met face-to-face with 390049. 390049 then continued on to Euston, while 221116 waited for the arrival of the 1510 EUS-CTR worked by 221104, which arrived at 1705 instead of the advertised 1647. 221116 and 221104 were then coupled to work together to Chester, but this took 3 attempts, as 221116 didn't really want to play ball. The 1649 to Chester then left 3 minutes in front of the Arriva 1723 to Chester.

The guard on 221116 told me that next week would definitely be the last drag, and from December 15th onwards it would be worked by 2x221 throughout. This is now confirmed.

Last edited:

crewmeal

Crewe will become a boring station to watch trains. Just 390's and 221's along with other multiple units. Nothing to get out of bed for.

Hopefully next summer will bring the charters.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Crewe will become a boring station to watch trains. Just 390's and 221's along with other multiple units. Nothing to get out of bed for.

Hopefully next summer will bring the charters.

It is a shame that we won't get a 90 on a Friday and a 57 on a Saturday anymore, but there are a very lot of different units. In an hour at Crewe, you should see: 150, 153, 158, 175, 221, 323, 350, 390 with 142, 156, 220 occasionally putting in an odd apperance.

Established Member
The guard on 221116 told me that next week would definitely be the last drag, and from December 15th onwards it would be worked by 2x221 throughout. This is now confirmed.

Don't suppose this conversation happened just before arrival into Crewe on the return working did it? If so I was sitting not very far from you.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Don't suppose this conversation happened just before arrival into Crewe on the return working did it? If so I was sitting not very far from you.

No, it happened between Bangor and Llandudno Junction, sorry :P. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who asked, makes me feel less nerdy :D. The female guard said she would miss the drag as it gave them a challeneg to see if they could get everything to work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.