• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last train delayed with connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieu

I'm going to travel from Thurso to Singer soon and I'll be getting the 16:32 and arriving at 20:10, the last train to Queen St. leaves 5 minutes later at 20:15. If the train from Thurso is late coming in will Scotrail arrange other travel arrangements for me to get to Singer station? The way I see it is that if I have purchased the ticket then Scotrail has entered a contract to get me from A to B without me having to pay any extra.

Also how would they get me to Singer from Inverness?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What ticket(s) do you have?

If it's a valid itinerary they have to get you to your final destination.

I see you have an 11 minute connection at Glasgow Queen Street, so this is a valid connection.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Assuming you are travelling on a Friday or Saturday, where the 2015 meets the 2354 off Queen Street, then provided you hold ticket(s) for the whole journey then either:

a) the connection at Inverness will be held
b) Scotrail will make alternative travel arrangements (ie, a coach)
c) you will be given a bed for the night and told to continue tomorrow

NRCoT said:
28. What happens when things go wrong?
28.1 If disruption prevents you from completing the journey shown on your Ticket, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination, or if necessary provide overnight accommodation for you.

Last edited:

Mathieu

Assuming you are travelling on a Friday or Saturday, where the 2015 meets the 2354 off Queen Street, then provided you hold ticket(s) for the whole journey then either:

a) the connection at Inverness will be held
b) Scotrail will make alternative travel arrangements (ie, a coach)

If I am travelling wth an All Line Rover ticket would the situation still be the same?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If I am travelling wth an All Line Rover ticket would the situation still be the same?
An All Line Rover is valid for this journey and it's a valid itinerary.

So yes.

They have to get you to your intended destination providing your ticket(s) held are valid for the journey and it's a valid itinerary.

Established Member
I know a few people North of the border who've done this journey. The 20:15 will be held if it is a slight delay or you will be put on the sleeper to an appropriate station and taxied if necessary.

BestWestern

Established Member

In this circumstance, is a TOC permitted to offer an overnight stop instead of onward transport for their own reasons, or does the contract of holding a vaild ticket allow the customer to demand carriage to their destination?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In this circumstance, is a TOC permitted to offer an overnight stop instead of onward transport for their own reasons, or does the contract of holding a vaild ticket allow the customer to demand carriage to their destination?
Good question.

I suspect in some cases the customer would be given a choice.

I've never heard of a TOC putting a train full of people up for the night rather than transporting them further, even when the network was partially closed a few months back during Storm Doris.

Established Member
I know of a forum member put in a taxi from Edinburgh to West Yorkshire... I don't know if he was given the option of accomodation in the capital?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I've heard tales of people who've missed the Night Riviera due to late connections being put in a taxi to Cornwall

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Where does this lie when it comes to split tickets?

Last summer I was weekly-commuting between Barnstaple and London (Waterloo), and, on a couple of trips, took advantage of SWT's special offer fares. This meant that I had a ticket from Waterloo to Exeter, then from Exeter to Barnstaple. On multiple occasions, the train from London was late, missing the last connection of the day up to Barnstaple (and several other connections at Exeter!). On each of these occasions, I was given a taxi back up the county to Barnstaple. (And, at least once, beat the train back!)

So, while on the straight through ticket, this was allowed and - indeed - expected (although holding the Barnstaple would have been better!), what was the actual case when I was split ticketing? Particularly as one of them was on the Devon Evening Ranger ticket! (Not that I was ever actually asked for a ticket on these taxis of course...)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Provided that you have a valid itinerary and a valid combination of tickets for that itinerary, you will be covered.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Although if you have an itinerary but haven't purchased the second ticket you may get a different result.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No ticket generally means no contract, with a small number of exceptions.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where does this lie when it comes to split tickets?
It makes no difference, providing the tickets are purchased at the first opportunity.

There are journeys for which there are no through fares at all, so it is compulsory to "split". There are circumstances in which train companies encourage you to "split", in order to take advantage of Advance or special offer fares. Some websites will offer to sell "split" fares in one transaction and provide one through itinerary. Whatever the circumstances, the conditions absolutely do permit a combination of fares to be used for one journey.

They have to get you to your intended destination providing your ticket(s) held are valid for the journey and it's a valid itinerary.

najaB

Veteran Member
It makes no difference, providing the tickets are purchased at the first opportunity.
Though, it's still an interesting question as to what happens if you intended to purchase your second ticket at the split point, but incur a significant delay on the first leg such that you would be stranded there.

While morally the railway should get you to your intended destination, do they have the legal obligation to do so?

BestWestern

Established Member
If you already hold the tickets you'll be covered, if you haven't bought them yet then no contract exists. I'd expect those rules to be fairly plainly interpreted. If you arrive at your splitting point having not yet purchased the ticket for the next leg of your journey, after the relevant connection has departed, then still no contract was held for travel at the scheduled departure time. The sensible advice would be to ensure that all tickets are held before a journey commences, the above scenario being a risk of not doing so.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Though, it's still an interesting question as to what happens if you intended to purchase your second ticket at the split point, but incur a significant delay on the first leg such that you would be stranded there.

While morally the railway should get you to your intended destination, do they have the legal obligation to do so?

This is precisely why it's important to make sure one has all of the tickets one needs before boarding the first train!

broadgage

Good question.

I suspect in some cases the customer would be given a choice.

I've never heard of a TOC putting a train full of people up for the night rather than transporting them further, even when the network was partially closed a few months back during Storm Doris.

I cant imagine a TOC putting up a train full in hotel beds for the night, apart from cost, in most places enough hotel rooms probably cant be found at short notice.
At a time of severe disruption, I did hear a passenger at Taunton being offered the choice of a taxi to Cornwall, OR a hotel in Taunton and onward train the next morning.
The option of putting them on the sleeper was not available as a decision had already been made to divert the sleeper, avoiding Taunton.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

If there was opportunity to buy all the tickets for the throughout journey, probably not.

If there was no such opportunity, then yes they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.