• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Late LNR service 21/05/2022 from Milton Keynes to Euston after concert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Probably, I think Londoners are often thrown off by how much less easy getting a taxi/Uber is outside of the city.
I rescued a group of London Ramblers who were waiting at the bus stop outside my house at 4pm yesterday oblivious to the fact that the next bus is on Monday. I was clearly regarded with some suspicion when I informed them that Uber doesn't cover the area and that any private hire car would take at least an hour as it had to come from a town 15 miles away.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Ultimately a transport system that requires drivers and other train crews to operate each specific service with specific training requirements on every route can never hope to adapt the way that car transport can.

If we were serious about the railway contributing to this sort of transport we can either try to drive normal traffic so high that event traffic is only a small bump in the baseline, or we can try to dramatically reduce driver training requirements or other service based staff requirement.

And noone is going to sign up for the investment required for either of those options.

[For example, if we were using an automated metro, running a high intensity service late at night, some nights, is just a maintenance issue, but with a regular conventional railway it requires huge stuff scheduling issues]

miklcct

On Moderation
I passed through Stevenage station on Friday evening and a couple (who had just been PFd for trying to use contactless to exit the station) were complaining about the lack of taxis and asked me where they could get one from. I told them the best way would be to walk (it takes about 40 minutes). The look on their faces suggested the world was about to end!

And probably two customers that will never return.

I rescued a group of London Ramblers who were waiting at the bus stop outside my house at 4pm yesterday oblivious to the fact that the next bus is on Monday. I was clearly regarded with some suspicion when I informed them that Uber doesn't cover the area and that any private hire car would take at least an hour as it had to come from a town 15 miles away.
Isn't it normal practice to hail a taxi on the street, or walk to the main road in a rural area and hail a passing taxi, or expect to find a taxi at popular locations such as railway stations? Taxis are the main transport to fill in the gaps where regular scheduled public transport can't efficiently serve!

silverfoxcc

There are some on here with very selective memories of Chiltern

When Spurs were using Wembley there were no extra trains whatsoever esp on Sats We used to travel from either West or South Ruislip and depending on traffic to get there M4/M25/A40 had to decide which station to pick as we could stand on either one watching a train that didnt stopping at one but not the other . I did write to them to ask why this occurted and what was the reason both stations could not be served by the same services. Still waiting for a reply

Now we get back to White Hart Lane and Mr Khan will be getting a letter as to why the service ( albeit during the rush hour) was better not only 60 years ago but 100!! also who in their infinite wisdom decides to put on 5 car trains.
The capacity at Liv St would not be overtaxed for those returning after an evening match not at weekends.
Perhaps him or the drivers cannot be bothered to put on a service for the public..Even more galling when Khan extols the benefits of his wonderful transport system.
Now we have the Purple train from Twyford and all that we gain in time is the bit between Paddington and LIv St Again a trick missed to put on semi fasts stopping at Ealing Bradway, Slough Maidenhead and Reading before the central core Sometimes i get the feeling that He is not only anti car but also anti passenger .

dosxuk

Established Member
Isn't it normal practice to hail a taxi on the street, or walk to the main road in a rural area and hail a passing taxi, or expect to find a taxi at popular locations such as railway stations? Taxis are the main transport to fill in the gaps where regular scheduled public transport can't efficiently serve!
Not for the vast majority of the country it isn't.

If you tried that round where my parents lived, you'd die of starvation before a taxi came past. It's the same in all the rural areas - taxi's need to be ordered, in advance, and expect to be told that they're too busy that day and to try someone else. If you want a taxi now then you'll need to call for one, and expect to be waiting for a long time until they manage to find a driver willing and able to come find you.

The main transport that fills in the gaps in the UK is the private car. Taxi's, outside of the major population centres, are for those inconvenient journeys where you can't drive yourself.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not everywhere has taxis you can hail like in London….

Billy Hicks

Another report here from someone who attended MCR at Milton Keynes, we went on the Sunday so had already read the troubled Saturday reports, and one of us had to get straight to Gatwick after - via a stopover in London to collect their bag - to board a flight home to Brazil. Have to admit I was rather worried!

Once the final song finished we rushed out the stadium and jumped in the first taxi we found that took us to Bletchley. This meant we and a fair few others were in time to board the much quieter (but still mildly busy) second-to-last train back to Euston, and there were station staff around to let us know (very vocally) which carriages were quieter than others to stop everyone boarding the same ones. The relief when we got on that train was pretty strong and the person made their flight home with no problems.

I did have a quick look on social media on the way back and looks like the last train was again very crowded, so I’m glad we were prepared to avoid a hellish journey back. Happily future gigs booked are much closer to home!

Wolfie

Established Member
Not sure why big concerts always seem to be put on mid-evening with bands not on stage till 9pm sometimes. I know early finishes are not very rock 'n roll but they seem to do as well in the US.....
In general people in the US start work earlier in the morning and finish by 1600.

Norm_D_Ploom

To update the forum, as I said I would, I decided against seeing MCR again in Munich so I will limit my report to the control after the match on Tuesday.

I have to say that Wembley does it much better, there is only 1 entrance for the U bahn and the police were intermittently opening and closing it. All whilst allowing people to jump the q by climbing an adjacent wall.

Not at all what I expected from the Germans.

Good trip though!

gazzaa2

On a similar theme was bedlam at Piccadilly last night on Northern after several music events in Manchester. There was crushing in the stampede for last trains. Loads left stranded.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Isn't it normal practice to hail a taxi on the street, or walk to the main road in a rural area and hail a passing taxi, or expect to find a taxi at popular locations such as railway stations?
no, not in the slightest! that is almost comically wrong! I am thinking of when I lived in Yorkshire. I would still be waiting for a cab now. That was 20 years ago.

If you are very lucky in a rural village/ small town you might have one taxi. That's not one firm but 1 car/driver.

BTW - only hackney carriages may tout for trade on the streets. All other cabs have to be prebooked.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone know how it went last night for Imagine Dragons at Stadium MK, who I believe also weren't playing London?

(I was in bed rather than going to the station to look for myself! :) )

boiledbeans2

To those who mentionted that the SWR operations at Twickenham were "slick", I agree.

I have only one concert experience at Twickenham, which was in 2019. This was during the SWR strikes, so I expected carnage, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

In fact, getting to the concert was worse. I remember boarding a completely rammed 458 at Clapham Junction at 5 or 6pm as there was a reduced service during the strikes. There were even 3 or 4 guys standing in the accessible toilet. Probably half the train got off at Twickenham.

The return journey was slick. SWR laid on additional trains, such that there were trains heading into London at (if I remember) 10 minute intervals. There were also free double decker shuttle buses heading to Richmond.

I hung around the stadium for around 30 mins after the gig to take some photos, buy merchandise, etc. When I tried to leave, I remember the road to Twickenham stadium was completely blocked with stationary people, so I decided to take the shuttle bus instead. Naturally, there was traffic everywhere, so I remember the bus moving very slowly for the first 15 mins, but once outside the Twickenham area, it was a smooth ride to Richmond station, where I boarded one of the additional SWR services. It was a 455, still with reasonable standing room.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Do concert organisers, and indeed performers, take any cognisance of public transport availability, particularly afterwards ? Could events not start earlier - For example, I attended the Yes gig at Glasgow last week, booked to begin at 2000. However this was actually the support act for 20 minutes, then a 20 minute interval with guys wandering aimlessly around the stage, before the band appeared at getting on for 2045. Which meant I had to leave early for my last train home, at 2305, and missed the encores. Why not start at 1930, or even 1900 ?

JamesT

Established Member
Do concert organisers, and indeed performers, take any cognisance of public transport availability, particularly afterwards ? Could events not start earlier - For example, I attended the Yes gig at Glasgow last week, booked to begin at 2000. However this was actually the support act for 20 minutes, then a 20 minute interval with guys wandering aimlessly around the stage, before the band appeared at getting on for 2045. Which meant I had to leave early for my last train home, at 2305, and missed the encores. Why not start at 1930, or even 1900 ?
I would imagine that the organisers are balancing that against people being able to get there for the start. 8pm is late enough that it’s plausible to be able to work a normal day, have dinner, then travel to the gig.

Falcon1200

Established Member
8pm is late enough that it’s plausible to be able to work a normal day, have dinner, then travel to the gig.

Fair enough, but being able to get to the gig comfortably is not so good if you can't then get home afterwards (And, had Yes actually started at 2000, instead of running 'late', I would have seen the whole concert !).

telstarbox

Established Member
Exactly. I live near London and wouldn't book a day off for a Brixton Academy gig which typically run from 8pm (support band) to 11pm (curfew), so I can train or drive up and back.

Spartacus

Established Member

If they're anything like the FA, then no. I've noticed a big trend over the last couple of decades or so towards big gigs that'll need substantial transport support starting later and later, just has been the case with football matches having later and later kick off times. I remember having to make sure I finished work pretty sharpish to make most mid-week home matches, now a few pints en-route wouldn't be a problem at all.

I think sometime they think it's 'helping' people get to the gigs or matches, particularly from far away, but in my experience you still have to take a day or half day off to be sure of making it there in time, and are left with bigger problems getting home or being faced with an overnight stay, so you need a day off afterwards, plus the extra cost of a hotel.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Gigs have always kept "pub" hours - a finish around 2300 is pretty universally the norm. You only tend to get earlier when a club night uses the venue afterwards.

I don't see why they couldn't go earlier on Saturdays, though. I agree that on weekdays an earlier start could be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.