• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Late returns from London to Midlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz2277

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any plans to introduce any later running trains from London to the Trent Valley (Lichfield in particular) - It seems the last reasonable direct train leaves Euston at 10pm - hardly that late. There are later trains to Birmingham and Derby but no onward connections from there on, meaning taxis instead.

I wondered if the new franchise could mean later trains - have there ever been later trains than 10pm?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfisher21

i suppose they could put stops in the 2300 manchester, but did they not remove nuneaton because london midland wanted to close the station before it arrived ?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
i suppose they could put stops in the 2300 manchester, but did they not remove nuneaton because london midland wanted to close the station before it arrived ?

And running non-stop from Watford to Stoke presumably means that it can get diverted via the West Midlands when the Trent Valley is shut (or part shut) for overnight maintainance.

TheDavibob

There is a line in the new franchise blurb for West Midlands Trains LNR:

http://maps.dft.gov.uk/west-midlands/

• later last service from London Euston to Crewe via the Trent Valley Monday to Friday by December 2018
  • later last service from London Euston to Crewe via the Trent Valley on Saturdays by December 2018

which offer hope of a later service, though it is worth noting that the last LNR service up the Trent Valley is at 2046 anyway, so the addition of a 2146 wouldn't be much of a perk. A 2246 would be somewhat convenient, reaching Lichfield at 0022 or so (I assume), though that does involve holding open a lot of stations that would otherwise be closed (though, in the case of Lichfield, does that really matter? Every time I go back I'm reasonably surprised the station is consistently staffed these days...)

nuneatonmark

which offer hope of a later service, though it is worth noting that the last LNR service up the Trent Valley is at 2046 anyway, so the addition of a 2146 wouldn't be much of a perk. A 2246 would be somewhat convenient, reaching Lichfield at 0022 or so (I assume), though that does involve holding open a lot of stations that would otherwise be closed (though, in the case of Lichfield, does that really matter? Every time I go back I'm reasonably surprised the station is consistently staffed these days...)

I would be nice to see a departure to TV stations later than 2200 but as previously indicated, it would mean keeping Nuneaton, at least, open later then now which is what scuppered the 2300 stop. Maybe with a lot of LNWR staff to be based at Nuneaton they might change their mind! The last service from Brum is laughably early too, but of course neither of these services are run by LNWR.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
While perhaps not needing trains quite as late as suggested the TV services do seem to wind down early. There should be later ones.

bionic

So is the new Birmingham to Crewe service via Stoke in addition to the current Birmingham to Liverpool via Stafford service, or are the existing Liverpool trains just being diverted?

baz2277

Thanks for your responses - The comment of a later last train on the dft is encouraging. I also note the comments re keeping stations open - is there not an option for limited stops? I'm sure i've used late-ish trains whose first stop is Tamworth then Lich.

Who would the operator of this newer later service be? Would this service be decided by the Autumn timetable? Or the one that comes out in November (thus keeping the December deadline)?

sd0733

Established Member
So is the new Birmingham to Crewe service via Stoke in addition to the current Birmingham to Liverpool via Stafford service, or are the existing Liverpool trains just being diverted?

My understanding is that the 2 trains from Liverpool per hour will be
1tph Liverpool-Birmingham as now then continue to Birmingham International
1tph Liverpool to London via Birmingham, Northampton

The Trent will run crewe-stafford then continue South as now.

Stoke will be served by a London-Birmingham extended to Crewe via Stoke

pt_mad

Established Member

I'm guessing it could end up being a Northampton extended along the Trent Valley to Crewe. Or a Birmingham double set which gets split at Northampton. Complete guess.

I wouldn't expect things to be drastically later through the Trent Valley though. Even the new West Coast Partnership ITT says the last service to Crewe via the TV can leave Euston no earlier than 2200. Which doesn't suggest it will ever leave any later than 2200 really. And that's potentially until 2031.

Also the fast lines can often be closed avoiding Northampton which can I think be a problem for pathing and timing extra late trains.

Saturday night last one off Euston is rather early. But again I wouldn't expect the additional service to be drastically later. As much of the West Coast closes for engineering possessions early on a Saturday evening and it looks from the WCP ITT that this is expected to continue into the long ish term future. It's the only time they can get any essential works done.

bionic

My understanding is that the 2 trains from Liverpool per hour will be
1tph Liverpool-Birmingham as now then continue to Birmingham International
1tph Liverpool to London via Birmingham, Northampton

The Trent will run crewe-stafford then continue South as now.

Stoke will be served by a London-Birmingham extended to Crewe via Stoke
Cheers

Class 170101

Established Member

It might be a later London North Western Railway service (the last currently is 20:46) but I doubt it will operate after the VT 22:00 to Crewe from Euston. Also some of the stations only have platforms on the slow lines and not on the bi-directional Fast Lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.