• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lateral thinking puzzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd

I think that's slightly beyond the realms of probability... but still a nice try.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

And the answer is.....

The door was the door to his very large freezer, in which he'd put loads of ice cubes, ready for the party he was holding that weekend. But the power cut had caused them all to melt, and water flooded out of the freezer, drowning him.

jd

My friend's parents run a takeaway. Their fridge is about 2x3x3 metres.

9.One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How come?

Simming

this was in BC times, and they was a 2 day gap before the girl dropped after her brother?

Craig

Established Member
jdan said:
9.One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How come?
They were born on a leap year, one just before midnight on the 29th February, the other just after midnight on the 1st March?

jd

But if you are born on 29th feb, you generally tend to celebrate your birthday in 28th if you were born before midday, and 1st march if you were born after midday. So, in your scenario, they would both celebrate on 1st march.

bluecont

Then they were born on a year that is not on a leap year? As in one before midnight on the 28th of Feb and one 1st May

Then 8 years later...
2days apart?

Ian

jd

That would be correct, but it's not the answer I'm looking for. Perhaps I need to add more info, I didn't make the question, and, knowing the answer, I don't think anyone could get it without this extra info:

Terry was born first

That's really hard, I know. I'll give you the answer at 9pm tonight if nobody gets it by then.

bluecont

It could be a variant of the twin paradox? Ie the older twin travels at a higher speed than the first twin until they are two days older... (Xref general relativity) Not very likely I know

Or the older twin could have been in a coma for two days, not known about it and celebrate their birthday then?

Ian

TheSlash

Established Member
A man is lost in the jungle and he comes to a cross roads. A board reads "One path will take you safely out of the jungle and the other will take you to the village of a man eating tribe"
So obviously he wants to get the path out of the jungle, but he doesn't know which route to take.
Next to the board is a house with a notice on the door "in this house live identical twin sisters. One sister always tells the truth and the other always lies. They are the only 2 people who know which route will lead you to safety. When you knock the door, one of the twins will answer the door, you may ask them one question and 1 question only"

The guy gets out of the jungle safely, so what question did he ask?

jd

Close, Marv, but elaborate.

Nope, Slash, that isnt the answer. ;)

jd

The answer is:

" At the time she went into labor, the mother of the twins was travelling by boat. The older twin, Terry, was born first early on March 1st. The boat then crossed the International Date line (or any time zone line) and Kerry, the younger twin, was born on February the 28th. In a leap year the younger twin celebrates her birthday two days before her older brother."

So Marv got it right, but didn't make it clear. Ah, we know what he means, he can have that.

jd

Okay, let's have Slash's as #10.

10. A man is lost in the jungle and he comes to a cross roads. A board reads "One path will take you safely out of the jungle and the other will take you to the village of a man eating tribe"
So obviously he wants to get the path out of the jungle, but he doesn't know which route to take.
Next to the board is a house with a notice on the door "in this house live identical twin sisters. One sister always tells the truth and the other always lies. They are the only 2 people who know which route will lead you to safety. When you knock the door, one of the twins will answer the door, you may ask them one question and 1 question only"

The guy gets out of the jungle safely, so what question did he ask?

jd

Sounds right to me, but you'll have to ask Slash!

EDIT: Hang on, maybe not... Oh, I dunno.

TheSlash

Established Member
Thats one answer, or "Which way would your sister send me" then either way you take the opposite route to the one they tell you

jd

11. An elderly man gets up in the morning and shaves. He then puts on his glasses, and sees himself in the mirror. However, he sees himself with no glasses and a beard.

How come?

Bit wierd this one.

Dave A

He is reading The Mirror (the news paper) and sees a picture of himself years earlier.

jd

Innocent until proven guilty. I've had my suspicions about others though. I think he might have heard this one before :P

Point to LT anyway.

T

Tom

12. In a room, there was a bed, a dead body, and water. How did the person die?

Simming

most possible answer: the water was full of man eating piranhas, who magically evolved with legs, walked out of the water, at ate the guy on the bed?

least possible answer: he was drinking a glass of water, spilt it, and fried himself, because he had an electric blanket?

Status
Not open for further replies.