• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Latest 442 Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Got a txt from a friend of mine,

A 442 could go to hull traisn and 110MPH Hauled by a 67!

I jsut txt back with hehe add it to the list!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
It's being looked into...see my posting in the 'News from Grand Central' thread.

Established Member
Well the 442s to make a return, but i'll believe it when i see it.

Same , Im hoping it dosen't go forward and i do abit let me explain
The 442s are Southern Reigon trains and would be cascade to unfamiliar territory and why?

On the other hand it would be nice to see 442 again but in the other hand three are running with GatEx in apr!:razz:

T

Tom

Hasn't stopped 442s going up the West Coast Main Line has it? ;)

Guinness

Established Member
The 442s are Southern Reigon trains and would be cascade to unfamiliar territory and why?

"Unfamiliar Territory" - They Trains not Army Troops....

Why? So they can get much use out of them as possible. I don't see it happening. What's wrong with a rake of Mk3s and a DVT? It would be a lot less heavy than 442s carrying around redundant 3rd Rail Traction Motor equipment. Making it easier to keep to 125mph Meridian timings.

Hentis

I heard this a few weeks ago and decided not to put it about. As to 110 mph... b it strange as they are allowed 100 mph only all though dispensation was given for 109.4mph and I know they have got up to 123 mph but Whether they will be aloowed upto 110 is a thing to see.

Correct they were Southern region terriotory... in BR days and when Southwest Trains were leasing them. NOW that they are sat in a siding at Eastleigh with the paint fading in the sun and not earning Angel trains any moulah. They will want to do something with them. As long as they can get some money to use them then why shouldnt they go off region. Its no longer British Railways or Network South East, its What makes them the best return at the end of the day, because if they dont start making money soon I think then they will be earmarked for well..... oh look theres a flying pig!!

Hentis

Hentis

Established Member
Why would they choose a 442 over standard Mk3s?
I'm purely speculating, but the pigs are in reasonably good nick arn't they? more than could be said for the MkIIIs which wern't exactly primed when they went off-lease and have been sitting in dereliction since.

T

Tom

A few of the pigs are relatively bad, but they're keeping them up to scratch as most of them are on juice at Eastleigh.

Established Member
I heard this a few weeks ago and decided not to put it about. As to 110 mph... b it strange as they are allowed 100 mph only all though dispensation was given for 109.4mph and I know they have got up to 123 mph but Whether they will be aloowed upto 110 is a thing to see.

Correct they were Southern region terriotory... in BR days and when Southwest Trains were leasing them. NOW that they are sat in a siding at Eastleigh with the paint fading in the sun and not earning Angel trains any moulah. They will want to do something with them. As long as they can get some money to use them then why shouldnt they go off region. Its no longer British Railways or Network South East, its What makes them the best return at the end of the day, because if they dont start making money soon I think then they will be earmarked for well..... oh look theres a flying pig!!

Hentis

Hentis

Im still un-sure I hope it dosen't go ahead I want them to stay down south if SOME went up north I would never see them again!:crybaby:

Hentis

Im still un-sure I hope it dosen't go ahead I want them to stay down south if SOME went up north I would never see them again!:crybaby:

About 17 of the pigs managed to make the refurb (including the 3 white/grey/red liverried ones) So they are pretty well upto good nick inside. Provide a 67 as a runround loco from EWS it could work.

Fred, get used to it , sometimes you just dont get what you always want.

Hentis

Kris

"Unfamiliar Territory" - They Trains not Army Troops....

Why? So they can get much use out of them as possible. I don't see it happening. What's wrong with a rake of Mk3s and a DVT? It would be a lot less heavy than 442s carrying around redundant 3rd Rail Traction Motor equipment. Making it easier to keep to 125mph Meridian timings.

Pigs have central locking. Easy to drop out all the traction gear - if it hasn't fallen off already. Got your DVT or DPT (passenger) at each end already.

Coxster

Established Member
Hmmm, because it is far better for them to be doing nothing in sidings all day than working passenger trains isn't it. I agree it's rediculous they want to ship them all these thousands of miles away - it's outrageous!

:roll:

T

Tom

I know Damon!

It's appalling that those 442s may be going to New Zealand isn't it!

*runs*

Kris

Last time I checked Hull Trains didn't run to York...;)

What is passenger comfort like on 442s?

People do say that they are the most comfortable mk3 stock. Although infinitely preferable to the Disastros they are way behind 159's & TP 158's for comfort (for normal height people anyway :tongue3:)

Nathan

People do say that they are the most comfortable mk3 stock. Although infinitely preferable to the Disastros

The most comfortable is said to be the drivers in a Desiro, how do the seats differ?

Nathan

Very nice, u acutally had a seat rather than a piece of plywwood with a thin bit of materail over it!

I like to think that their good for your posture. Whereas the 442s were like sinking into your sofa :lol:

Established Member
I like to think that their good for your posture. Whereas the 442s were like sinking into your sofa :lol:

Yer and for travelling 100 odd miles to see my bad i want to feel as if im sinking into a sofa in comfort not sat on a piece of rock hard wood!

Kris

The most comfortable is said to be the drivers in a Desiro, how do the seats differ?

Well - you have at least 2 - 3" of padding intead of 2 - 3mm as on a passenger seat. A better back section to fit the curvature of the spine. Adjustable headrest. Reclines way back - as far as the rear wall will allow and adjustable padded (again not thinly or plastic) armrests. Plus it has a tilt mechanism - forward and backward travel and swivel capability - so if one foot gets tired on the DSD - just swivel the seat and use the other.

That's some weird sofa you've got. I found the refurbed 442's 'orrible because they sort of overstuffed the seat and it was raised in the middle. Not exactly comfortable but light years away from a Disastro.

Now - for sinking in - you want the old BR seats like HAPS & TC's. A good 8" or 20cm of padding. A lot of punters used to lay out on them for a kip :sleepy2: on quieter trains and several seats found their way into messrooms as beds for the 'Cover' man :sleepy2: (until Mr Elf & Safely took them away as a supposed fire risk).

thefab444

Established Member
442s are fairly comfy as long as you find a seat with plenty o' legroom and one that isn't broken (not so much a problem on the refurbs though).

158s & 159/1s are pretty poor for us taller people (and I'm only 5ft 9 or so!).

Kris

I'm 5'8 1/2" and I find the 159's fine. So good I invariably drop off to sleep with the purr of the engines in the background.

Passed to Basing' one day to work a train and woke up just as it was powering up to leave the staion. Passcom - oops :oops:

Those were the good old days, eh? :)

They really were. You could have a laugh. Now you can't fart out of place without being reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.