• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Latest update - Freightliner cement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdjonnay

As posted on the ukts forums... hope its ok. Bit of a story as well as photos!

Sorry they're late, I've been offline for a few days..

Managed to get last thursday off, and spent a while wondering what to do. Eventually I decided to go and phot the Freightliner cement, which runs down to Moorswater every tuesday and thursday. This weeks train was mega long, as the Tuesday trip was caped - more wagons.

66553 passes a very overgrown Coombe station on the Looe line, heading for Moorswater. The loco performs a shunt just after the station in a run around loop

running into the loop just after Coombe

You've probably all seen the Looe branch on msts - the Padd - Penzance route. It runs from Liskeard, under the mainline twice, and down to Looe.

66553 stands below the impressive mainline viaduct. I stopped underneath this whilst travelling over from Coombe - It is one of the rare viaducts that stands beside the pillars of Brunels original structure which was demolised to make way for the current, modern, bridge

Moorswater is an old ECC clay dry which Blue Circle cement purchased - back in the early 90s you used to see class 37s down there on clay trains, and it's quite eerie to see the clay still ground into the dirt.

The loco stands amidst some grass which really needs trimming

The place is a dump, basically, a very pretty dump (lots of trees and greenery), but it's on the outskirts of a quiet industrial estate, so there's a lot of scrap metal around, that sort of thing.

In the yard

An authorised walk down to see the loco whilst it was stationary - it's left on this section of line for a while. Note how overgrown the trees are

Another close-up

I had a few hours to kill, so went and had some lunch and contemplated moves for the afternoon. I filled up with petrol and bit my lip as I realised that the day was going to take me in a 100 mile trip, but what the heck - it's sunny, I've got an open visor, and there's trains to phot!

I eventually ended up at Restormel, which is just outside Bodmin Parkway. I discovered that my brake-pads were down to bare metal, which was... worrying, but none the less, I carried on.

In the "phot anything" mode, I took a few pictures of normal trains, such as this FGW HST

Strange liveried class 158 heads away from the camera

A class 153 happily bounces through the countryside - quality trains

After a few hours of sitting in the sun, a 66 horn was heard tooting through Bodmin Parkway. I ran to the position, and bagged this shot of 553, one of my favorite pics so far this year!

66553 passes Respryn at 17:08 - bang on time

Back on the failing bike and a rapid run down to Par was in order, behind the holiday traffic, to get these shots of the loco during the run around -

Waiting for a class 150 to pass to complete the run around

The class 150 meant that the train would be at least another 15 minutes before it left Par, so I had just enough time to shoot over to the famous location of Restormel, just outside Lostwithiel. After parking and running about half a mile in the sweltering heat, I was dissapointed to see that clouds had started to gather around the sun. Very fortunatley they broke literally just as the train arrived, shadow just behind me, but a spotlight of sun on the train;

Horrible shrubs get in the way of this shot, a tripod through the fence may be required in the future to get rid of the overgrowth before the shot is ruined totally

An unspoilt shot of the train, concluding the day

And that was that. Many thanks to the friendly crew, they're a real credit to their company. I managed to miss 6m72, the Irvine china clay working, it ran through restormel as I walked back to the bike, camera in hand. Ah well.

This is a regular working, so if you're ever in the area I suggest you try to see it - it's very surreal seeing a Cement train travelling down a tiny rural branch line!

Thanks for reading and viewing,
Jon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

Nice Fots as Usual Jon.

You should have gone somewhere on the incline between Coombe Jnc and Liskeard to fot it, get a clag shot ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very nice. I like the idea of including the pics within the story.

The 'strange' 158 is 158842, in the Western Mail livery. The Western Mail is a newspaper in Wales, btw, hence why it's on an ATW 158.

The shot you say is your favourite, I like it too, very nice angle, but I definately like the HST shot a lot.

You've given me a bit of an idea mind now, just I need to get some timings first.

Brilliant pictures, keep up the good work.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
FGWFan said:
The 'strange' 158 is 158842, in the Western Mail livery. The Western Mail is a newspaper in Wales, btw, hence why it's on an ATW 158.

really? never? your having me on? :P (sorry i had to take the mick!) ok so maybe the others didn't know, i'm sorry!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
HSTfan!!! said:
FGWFan said:

really? never? your having me on? :P (sorry i had to take the mick!) ok so maybe the others didn't know, i'm sorry!

That is the whole reason I posted it, in case there's some Northerner who might think The Western Mail is a paper in Cornwall or something.

In this age of having to state the obvious in every industry, it seemed a good idea to let people know what the livery was.

Status
Not open for further replies.