• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Laughing and Crying Platform at Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

I have just watched Winston Churchills funeral train leaving Waterloo in 1965 on Youtube.

The reporter said the train left from the laughing, crying platform where the important trains of the day, such as Boat trains arrived and departed.

I do not know Waterloo well enough to know if there is still such a platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I have just watched Winston Churchills funeral train leaving Waterloo in 1965 on Youtube.

The reporter said the train left from the laughing, crying platform where the important trains of the day, such as Boat trains arrived and departed.

I do not know Waterloo well enough to know if there is still such a platform.

Good question, the most famous landmark at Waterloo is the clock meeting area,in my opinion. I do recall seeing the train leave live on TV, don't recall the platform,

Bob

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the route to the train probably used platform 11/12. In the sixties (and later) the area between platforms 11 and 12 was still the cab road, the vehicle ramp at the country end was still in use then, and IIRC this was where the flagship services such as the boat trains arrived and departed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think there have only been relatively minor alterations since then to do with the changes needed for the Eurostar terminal, however I think that did result in some minor changes to the positions of a few of the highest numbered platforms in the main station. However P11 and P12 are still either side of a much wider platform than all the others, hence I think P1 - P11 have not changed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.