Lea Bridge station

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Paul Sidorczuk, 9 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Has anyone any recently updated news about the eventual proposed re-opening of this railway station?

2. scott118

scott118 Member

you seriously think that it will re-open? on what basis, post Olympics?

3. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

March 2016 is the target date for opening

£5.5m from Westfield Shopping Centre, £5m from the council, £1m plus from New Stations Fund

Clearance work started recently.

Read the comments on this http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/lea-bridge-lives-again/

Last edited: 9 Jun 2015
  4. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Its fairly common knowledge (at least locally) that the station will be reopening. Indeed, work has already begun on clearing the site http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/13216176.display/

5. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

It is one of four new or re-opened stations announced a couple of years ago, mainly funded by DfT. Two of the other three are now open, with a third being progressed. There's no reason that Lea Bridge won't get through the current planning delays, which are mainly internal NR issues with the freight companies.

6. EM2

EM2 Established Member

From the local newspaper, dated 01/06/15:
    http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/13216176.New_opening_date_for_station_closed_in_1985/
    And from 25/03/15:
    http://www.eppingforestguardian.co.uk/news/waltham_forest/11878161.Station_re_opening_delayed_after_operators__objections/

7. MrPIC

MrPIC Member

Work seems to have begun on Lea Bridge Road, a tarmac road has been laid from Orient Way sidings, and last time I went by the foliage was removed along with some of the platform flag stones.

8. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

Went through on Tuesday- certainly looked like an active project site!

9. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

If ever a station needed to be staffed for safety reasons, it's Lea Bridge Rd. I used it once about forty years ago, in daylight, it was creepy and I was in my twenties. No good saying CCTV, that might help you find the attacker(s) but maybe too late by then. Overground would have to staff but will it come under them? The immediate surrounding area AFAIK remains pretty bleak. Maybe reopening should be left until after more development (yes, I know, chicken and egg).

10. MrPIC

MrPIC Member

It wouldn't be part of LO as no LO lines run through it. Maybe if they re-opened Hall Farm curve and ran Chingford's via Stratford, but if it open within 12 months it would be a GA station I reckon. I think when it opens before the surrounding re-develoment has taken place it may get an Angel Road style service, because as you say, the surrounding area is pretty grim. The main users will probably be GA staff travelling to/from Orient Way!

11. Steve wakerly

Steve wakerly Member

12. hwl

hwl Established Member

The TfL order for new LO stock has add on options some of which are for stock to run Stratford - WAML services (aka Stratford to Angel Road StAR) so that appears to be the medium term plan.

13. IanD

IanD Established Member

Not another bloody mini Holland. They did one in the Grove Road area - blocked all the raods to motorists then gave absolutely no clue as to how you were supposed to get anywhere. Cars reversing all over the place as they came across a blockage. Badly thought out scheme, probably imagineered one Friday afternoon after a session in the King William IV.

14. MrPIC

MrPIC Member

What is this StAR thing? If its just a service from Stratford to Angel Road that seems pretty pointless, unless its about increasing BIS-STR services, or sending Hertford trains that way? Does this plan also mean TFL taking over more WA lines?

15. mr_jrt

mr_jrt Member

The end-game is to 4-track the WAML.

The first stage is to lay a 3rd track from Coppermill Junction to Angel Road to offer a 2tph shuttle as you can't fit more local services into the current timetable without impacting the mainline services. This is StAR. The original plan (see p11) was to have a 3rd track all the way to Brimsdown, with a 4th track between Angel Road & Ponders End (with a 4tph shuttle), but this has proved unaffordable, presumably due to the costs of closing the level crossings (StAR only needs to close Northumberland Park's - making follow-on projects more viable). The gold-plated end-game option was a full 4 track route, enabling a 6tph shuttle. Regardless, ultimately these service will eventually enable the current services to run through non-stop, increasing mainline capacity.

The next stage probably relies on Crossrail 2, which will justify finishing the job, and delivers 4 tracks all (or at least most of) the way to Cheshunt, if not Broxbourne.

Personally, I'd like to see the 4-tracks ultimately extend south through Lea Bridge all the way to Stratford to keep freight out of the way, but I seem to be in a bit of a minority with the FOCs in objecting to Lea Bridge's rebuilt ticket office being built on the land needed for the second pair of lines to save money (despite the brilliant BCR of the reopening even if it cost more to rebuild a new ticket office over the tracks as it used to have...)

Last edited: 23 Jun 2015
  16. Clip

Clip Established Member

To be fair a lot has changed in the last 40 years or so ;). The 'Stow is becoming nicer by the week don't ya know ;)

17. Hackneyite

Hackneyite Member

Mr jrt "The first stage is to lay a 3rd track from Coppermill Junction to Angel Road to offer a 2tph shuttle as you can't fit more local services into the current timetable without impacting the mainline services. This is StAR"

All the literature I've read states that the third track is for 4tph, to enable massive house building in Tottenham and Edmonton. That's why Haringey and Enfield are making substantial contributions towards the project. Tottenham Hale already gets a 2tph service!

18. swt_passenger

Surely the aim is to provide for a 2 tph short working shuttle to Angel Rd in addition to the existing 2 tph service running beyond?

19. Hackneyite

Hackneyite Member

Northumberland Park only has one train to Stratford each hour. The Angel Road service is hopeless. I'm sure the project is for three-tracking Coppermil Junction- Angel Road for 4tph, with passive provision for a fourth track.

20. mr_jrt

mr_jrt Member

Indeed, the proposed 2tph shuttle is on top of the current service. The 4tph and 6tph options (with all the infrastructure that would entail) would probably remove stopping services from the existing lines.

21. swt_passenger

The project definition is in the public domain, it's described in the CP5 enhancements plan, in which it cross refers to the fact it is doing the first part of the capacity improvements in the London and South East RUS; this is indeed only 3 track as far as Angel Rd.

Seems fairly clear it is a progressive change, three tracking followed by eventual four tracking.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2015
  22. JaJaWa

JaJaWa Established Member

St. Albans | Leeds | Hong Kong | Shenzhen
    Update from GOV.UK. Opening now Spring 2016.

Attached Files:

23. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Normally, how many stations would £20 million help to construct these days?

24. transmanche

transmanche Established Member

Well Lea Bridge is going to cost £11.6m, the Cambridge North station about £23m. So approx one or two stations I reckon!

25. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Nice to hear it's finally going ahead, and will have virtually no impact on timings given how slow the train crawls to/from Stratford anyway!

Of course, psychologically, it might seem as if the service is slower as a result.

26. AndrewS_Hatton

AndrewS_Hatton Member

This fact seems worthy of note.

I was enquiring about the station as a terminus for the stage coach to Walthamstow, before a rail connection was established to the City of London in 1873 and came across a closed thread.

So I was unable to post a link to this notice from London Borough of Waltham Forest last July .

I am not sure exactly how the work is progressing and hope a reader is better informed than me and will update the thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 7 Dec 2015
  27. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Work is firmly underway, looked to have progressed quite significantly last time I went past (a couple of weeks ago). I can't see any pictures online - I'll see if I can catch one next time I'm in the area.

28. Phil.

Phil. Established Member

£11,600,000 seems a tidy sum to re-instate a station.

29. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

30. MrPIC

MrPIC Member

I heard that the plan is for a 3rd track from Lea Bridge to Angel Road, with buffers at the Angel Road end (no points back on the Up and Dn Cambridge), and points back onto the TM lines London end. One train going up and down all day. Unsure on the reliability of this gossip though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.