• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lea Bridge station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
There are prominent boards on Lea Bridge Road announcing that the station will be opening in "Spring 2016". With this in mind, does anyone know when exactly the timetables change for the Stratford-Bishops Stortford trains to serve the station?

Also, will the Hertford East services stop at this station?

When I went past the station on a 317/5 last month, a lot has been done to the platforms and footbridge, suggesting that it's only a short while before it opens.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There are prominent boards on Lea Bridge Road announcing that the station will be opening in "Spring 2016". With this in mind, does anyone know when exactly the timetables change for the Stratford-Bishops Stortford trains to serve the station?

When I went past the station on a 317/5 last month, a lot has been done to the platforms and footbridge, suggesting that it's only a short while before it opens.

AIUI, mid May, and yes every regular passenger train that passes through will call. Looked almost finished when I went through last week.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Great pictures. But is it just me who feels that most new stations are massively over engineered. No wonder they cost so much to build.

I know what you mean, but Lea Bridge was a bit of a pit, and the only time I used it I didn't feel safe, in the middle of the day, and I was male and in my 20s then (only one of those still applies:))

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Do you not like the idea of stations being built so that everyone can use them? For wheelchair-suitable ramps you need a gradient of 1 in 10 or less, with a flat section every 10m of horizontal distance.

Other than that, there's fencing for controlled access and a standard-issue footbridge with lifts.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Will any time be added or does the normal waiting time along that stretch mean it will stop without any time penalty at all?

lancastrian

Do you not like the idea of stations being built so that everyone can use them? For wheelchair-suitable ramps you need a gradient of 1 in 10 or less, with a flat section every 10m of horizontal distance.

Other than that, there's fencing for controlled access and a standard-issue footbridge with lifts.

I have no problem with any of that, but there does seem to be a belt and braces situation going on. There are both ramps and a lift, I personally think that a lift is better, all on the level. All I was saying is that even with a station having proper disabled access, they are still over engineered in my opinion.

plcd1

Actually there are trains from early evening on the preceding Sunday. There is a rather odd possession until 2000 that day and trains are shown on Realtimetrains as stopping after 1930 or so. I am wondering if there is actually some sort of official opening or similar during the Sunday and then the blockade is lifted and trains stop soon afterwards.

Special timetable for 15 May 2016

Note that the first train scheduled to call starts at Liverpool St so hairy run via Stratford *and* the first call at Lea Bridge. :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I have no problem with any of that, but there does seem to be a belt and braces situation going on. There are both ramps and a lift, I personally think that a lift is better, all on the level. All I was saying is that even with a station having proper disabled access, they are still over engineered in my opinion.

There's a ramp from the street, and a lift to the bridge

embers25

Established Member
Actually there are trains from early evening on the preceding Sunday. There is a rather odd possession until 2000 that day and trains are shown on Realtimetrains as stopping after 1930 or so. I am wondering if there is actually some sort of official opening or similar during the Sunday and then the blockade is lifted and trains stop soon afterwards.

Special timetable for 15 May 2016

Note that the first train scheduled to call starts at Liverpool St so hairy run via Stratford *and* the first call at Lea Bridge. :D

Actually the first train is the 2018 to Stratford.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will any time be added or does the normal waiting time along that stretch mean it will stop without any time penalty at all?

Not much time is added AFAICS, you can compare the WTT times before and after opening on RTT. Using 2S12 (0900 weekday departure) as a comparison example suggests the timings have been tweaked by no more than half a minute here and there for Lea Bridge, but departure times from Stratford and Tottenham Hale are as before.

I also checked this out a couple of weeks ago, and whichever examples I chose that day had no changes at all.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not much time is added AFAICS, you can compare the WTT times before and after opening on RTT. Using 2S12 (0900 weekday departure) as a comparison example suggests the timings have been tweaked by no more than half a minute here and there for Lea Bridge, but departure times from Stratford and Tottenham Hale are as before.

I also checked this out a couple of weeks ago, and whichever examples I chose that day had no changes at all.

That's what I expected as it's slow going to/from TOM so the stop shouldn't really be detrimental to the timetable at all.

Cheers.

Clip

Established Member

And when you cant use a lift because some yout has put it out of order or theres an evacuation of a train or station that a lift wont be able to cope with?

Hows that none over engineering looking now when people cant get out?

jon0844

Veteran Member
And when you cant use a lift because some yout has put it out of order or theres an evacuation of a train or station that a lift wont be able to cope with?

Hows that none over engineering looking now when people cant get out?

Spot on. As an outdoor station and one that may not be staffed at all times (do AGA staff all stations) it is quite possible the lifts may occasionally be out of service. Ramps are a nice, simple, solution to an otherwise far greater problem.

Class 170101

Established Member
Presumably the ramps are DDA compliant so why build the lifts?

As for the first trains whats the betting that NR overrun and the sdtation actually opens on Monday.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Presumably the ramps are DDA compliant so why build the lifts?

As for the first trains whats the betting that NR overrun and the sdtation actually opens on Monday.

Because it is quicker and nicer for wheelchair users to use?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The ramp only appears to be from Argall Way to the Up platform. There's no ramp to the bridge, no access to the Down platform other than via bridge.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That's what I expected as it's slow going to/from TOM so the stop shouldn't really be detrimental to the timetable at all.

Cheers.

The ruuning times ovee that section seem to be fairly historic and overly gwnerous - 1-2 minute early arrivals seem to be fairly common.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Better to have a 'slow' ramp than no DDA Access at all. I think in this instance the lifts will almost certainly be overkill.

Without the lifts there's no access to the bridge and thus no access to the Down platform for anyone that can't use steps. Because there's no ramps to the bridge. And no direct access to the Down platform. This can be clearly seen in the pictures.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what you mean? Who would make an official statement about what situation? I'm trying to explain the actual design to people that seem to be arguing that ramps and lifts are overkill when that's not what the design is. Confused now.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Yes. The design chosen at the feasibility study removed all access from Lea Bridge Road. The decision was made then to access only via Argall Way. That's talked about in this London Reconnections article, though the design has been modified from the chosen option- it looks as if the footbridge is at the very end of the platform, almost abutting the road bridge.

scott118

Without the lifts there's no access to the bridge and thus no access to the Down platform for anyone that can't use steps. Because there's no ramps to the bridge. And no direct access to the Down platform. This can be clearly seen in the pictures.

Passenger will simply be told to board a train and change at Stratford, to then come back on themselves, to continue their journey...

No different to how AGA deal with wheelchairs at Wymondham. The walking route for wheelchair users at Thetford is also a disgrace, and i'm able bodied, mostly..

Status
Not open for further replies.