• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leaf fall- Dry Ice Experimentation on the Northern Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Interesting idea but it did leave me wondering about the logistical arrangements for how you keep trains supplied with dry ice pellets, for example can a train carry a whole days supply?

Presumably train depots would need to start storing the stuff, but it needs to be kept at minus 80 celcius to remain frozen, so either needs some impressive freezing equipment, or frequent deliveries.
Surely it would only need to be on the first 1-2 trains of the day? Thereafter, the normal passage of trains will keep the lines clear

Better still, just spend the money and cut back the vegetation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Surely it would only need to be on the first 1-2 trains of the day? Thereafter, the normal passage of trains will keep the lines clear

Better still, just spend the money and cut back the vegetation

Poor rail adhesion can happen throughout the day and I don't know if you have noticed but leaves tend to blow about in the wind/passing trains.

Like the other poster, I do wonder about the logistics and feasibility of it and how much it would cost to retro fit and maintain the equipment...its not going to be just a bog standard sand hopper.

najaB

Veteran Member
Presumably train depots would need to start storing the stuff, but it needs to be kept at minus 80 celcius to remain frozen, so either needs some impressive freezing equipment, or frequent deliveries.
Actually, you only need very well insulated storage containers. Compare with dry ice being used to keep items cold in foam coolers while they're being shipped, sometimes half-way around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.