• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leagrave Into London - 2 Day Travelcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Hi everyone,

On Friday me and my partner are going to the O2 arena in London and then staying in a hotel and trying to weigh up the cheapest possible travel options.

We will be travelling from Leagrave staton into St. Pancras and then using a combination of the underground and DLR to navigate to the hotel - to the O2 arena, and back again. We are planning on departing Leagrave on Friday afternoon at 3pm roughly and returning lunchtime Saturday.

Usually into London I would just simply purchase a travelcard, but buying two, twice to cover both days will work out rather expensive so was looking for a cheaper alternative If possible - eg a two day travelcard if they exist?

Any help much appreciated.

Just as a side note I also have a 16-25 railcard and I'm hoping the missus can find hers too but that's unlikely!

Thanks again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That looks to be an ideal scenario for an Oyster card. Get the railcard discount applied as well and you'll get discounted single fares too. If you can touch in at St Pancras before 4pm on the Friday then that journey will be off-peak and discounted. With Oyster the Z1-2 and Z1-4 daily off-peak caps are also discounted which makes them cheaper than a paper equivalent. Although Friday between 4pm and 7pm is peak, the off-peak cap still applies. North Greenwich is in both zones 2 and 3, so if you only travel there from the Canary Wharf direction you should cap at the Z1-2 rate.

Take a look at my website for further information - link below.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
The cheapest option does seem to be 2 day Travelcards! At £9.90 for a 16-25 Railcard discounted Super Off-Peak Travelcard for Leagrave to Z1-6, therefore 2 of them £19.80. The undiscounted travelcard for your partner would be £15, therefore £30 for both days. Total for both of you: £49.80

The Off-Peak (Standard Open) Return is £15 (16-25 Railcard discounted) and £22.70 undiscounted from Leagrave to St Pancras, which would allow for the outward and return journey on the days suggested, however then buying a Z1-2 travelcard (£5.60 with 16-25 Railcard or £7.00 without) on top makes this more expensive than the first option! (£50.30) Also it depends if your hotel is inside Z1-2 otherwise a Z1-4 or Z1-6 Travelcard would be more appropriate!

I have not included using Oyster as I believe the itinary warrants a paper travelcard, should make it more flexible and less confusing than using Oyster (no risk of Maximum fares!)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The cheapest option does seem to be 2 day Travelcards! At £9.90 for a 16-25 Railcard discounted Super Off-Peak Travelcard for Leagrave to Z1-6, therefore 2 of them £19.80. The undiscounted travelcard for your partner would be £15, therefore £30 for both days. Total for both of you: £49.80

Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard from Leagrave is only valid on Saturdays and Sundays, so an Off-Peak Day Travelcard is needed for Friday instead, costing £20 or £13.20 with a railcard.

John @ home

Established Member
We will be travelling from Leagrave staton into St. Pancras and then using a combination of the underground and DLR to navigate to the hotel - to the O2 arena, and back again.
I don't think any of us are in a position to advise on the lowest overall cost until we know the location of the hotel.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard from Leagrave is only valid on Saturdays and Sundays, so an Off-Peak Day Travelcard is needed for Friday instead, costing £20 or £13.20 with a railcard.

Yes, you are correct, I just checked on Avantix and the Super Off-Peak Travelcard seems to be only valid on Sat/Sun and bank holidays, therefore it would actually be cheaper to go for the second option that I posted above with Off-Peak returns and a separate inboundary travelcard or Oyster to go with it!

Joel

I don't think any of us are in a position to advise on the lowest overall cost until we know the location of the hotel.

Thanks for all the replies so far, very much appreciated. Unfortunately i'm at work at the moment so I haven't had much chance to read them all thoroughly, but just to give a reply to this one - the hotel is this one, http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-2177-ibis-london-docklands/index.shtml

I believe that the nearest DLR is Blackwall. Hope this helps.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for all the replies so far, very much appreciated. Unfortunately i'm at work at the moment so I haven't had much chance to read them all thoroughly, but just to give a reply to this one - the hotel is this one, http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-2177-ibis-london-docklands/index.shtml

I believe that the nearest DLR is Blackwall. Hope this helps.
Yes it does. Single fares are as follows:

KXStP - Blackwall: £2.70 (1600-1900)/£2.00 (off peak)/£1.30 (off-peak with railcard)
Blackwall - North Greenwich: £1.50/£1.40/£0.95
North Greenwich - Blackwall: £1.40/£0.95/£1.35(if you need to use a night bus)
Blackwall - KXStP: £2.00/£1.30

Off-peak daily cap: Z1-2: £7.00/£4.60 Z1-4: £7.70/£5.10

Paper travelcard: Z1-2: £7.00; Z1-4: £7.70; Railcard (Z1-6): £5.60

Notes:
North Greenwich and Blackwall are both in zone 2 but there are two ways to get between them; one stays in zone 2 while the other (probably quicker) goes into zone 3. If you are using paper travelcards and going via Canning Town then you will need zone 1-4 travelcards. If you use Oyster then it might still cap you at Z1-2 as it tends to give you the benefit of the doubt where two indistinguishable routes exist.

If you do no other travelling on the Saturday then you are definitely much better off with Oyster as you will pay much more in cash (and even more if you get a travelcard to be on the safe side). On the Friday it is more variable depending on what time you start various journeys, but if you do nothing else then the worst case is that you'll cap at the off-peak rate which will be less than a travelcard with the railcard.

If you haven't got Oyster cards then you'll need to get them at KXStP. There is a refundable £5 deposit which you can get back before leaving on the Saturday, or just keep the cards for the next time you come to London. Although you can buy the Oyster cards at a machine you'll need to go to the ticket office anyway to get the railcard(s) added. You may also need to register the cards to get railcards added. It doesn't cost anything and protects you if the card is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.