• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leamington-Paddington SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I bought a Leamington-London Terminals Off Peak Super Saver Return (SSR) for travel as part of a split-ticket journey yesterday, for travel to Paddington via Oxford and Reading.
This is a good value £19.15 with a railcard, valid "VIA BANBURY" to either Marylebone or Paddington and set by Chiltern.

What with one thing and another I used the XC 1038 service, and this was offered by the TOC journey planners.
But originally I wanted to travel earlier, and the precise restriction text (code PV) is:
- not valid for arrivals at MYB or PAD before 1130
- not valid for arrivals at RDG before 1100

Travelling via Reading, the first train from LMS avoiding the second restriction is the 1000, arr RDG 1109 (and PAD at 1154).
However I could not get any TOC booking engine to offer anything before the 1038 arr RDG 1140 (PAD 1214).
Does anyone know why the 1000 from Leamington is not allowed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

If you go onto BRfares, there is an unpublished restriction preventing departure from Leamington Spa from 0230-1000, which is presumably why it prevents it. I would have thought that unpublished restrictions must be unenforceable, but I don't know.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If you go onto BRfares, there is an unpublished restriction preventing departure from Leamington Spa from 0230-1000, which is presumably why it prevents it. I would have thought that unpublished restrictions must be unenforceable, but I don't know.

Thank you very much.
At least I now know why I couldn't book a journey on the 1000.
As to why the invisible restriction exists I'm none the wiser!
It's not shown in ATOC's Avantix, which I use.
I'll use BRfares next time. ;)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I suspect that the "unpublished" restriction is there as a fudge to make journey planners do the "right" thing for journeys towards London.

Having said that, the ticket is undeniably valid on the 1000 XC, the only thing is that you're unlikely to be unable to get a reservation (other than a "Ten Minute Reservation") for the connection in question, even at a ticket office.

Status
Not open for further replies.