• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leamington Spa to Manchester via Wrexham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invincibles

Next Tuesday I have a friend who needs to make the trip from Leamington Spa to Wrexham to watch a football match then come to Manchester after the game as it is impossible to get back to the West Midlands after full time. On the Wednesday he will then get a direct train from Leamington to Manchester, 1027 say.

How far towards Wrexham does the routing guide allow you to get on a Leamington to Manchester ticket?

I tried thinking about it but the problem is that the late return option to Manchester involves a change at Chester and then runs through Northwich to Piccadilly which somewhat reduces options I think.

I would be very greatful if someone could suggest a cheapish way of doing this without getting Leamington - Manchester and Manchester - Wrexham tickets.

My friend has a Senior Railcard if that makes any difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
How far towards Wrexham does the routing guide allow you to get on a Leamington to Manchester ticket?

The closest your friend would be able to get to Wrexham would be either Chester or Wolverhampton on Map Combination GM+MW.

tony_mac

Established Member
if you are allowed to break your journey on that ticket, and you travel via Stockport (therefore not Warrington), then you don't need the single from Chester to Manchester.

Yes, it is Chester via Crewe

BTW, it may take some explaining on the Crewe-Chester leg!

glynn80

Established Member
Chester via Crewe?

That would be perfect as from there it would only be a short return to Wrexham and then a single up to Manchester.

Thanks for the quick reply :D

Yes Chester via Crewe.

The friend in question could break their journey in Chester, purchase a return to Wrexham and then resume their journey to Manchester on the Leamington Spa to Manchester ticket, when they return from Wrexham. The only down side of this is that the routeing guide would require your friend to go from Chester to Manchester via Altrincham and Stockport which takes around 30 minutes longer than the route via Warrington.

tony_mac

Established Member
sorry, I shouldn't have butted-in, but I was answering the original question when the reply came!
I think that you can save a little bit of money by buying Leamington-Stafford and Stafford-Manchester returns, with the same possibility of travelling via Chester.

Invincibles

Would the break of journey not ruin that one?

As I said in the opening post the only train after the match from Wrexham is the 2215 which connects with a 2248 Northern train to Manchester (which must be the one that runs via Altrincham) so that would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.