• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Learn to code with Dennis - tutorial 4-1 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

I really must get BVE working and have a go at this. You make it looks so easy, but amazing at the same time! :)

Dennis

Established Member
Wow, this must be nearly the end now right? Another nice tutorial Dennis!

Yes - building the platforms is the final part - just platform ramps, smooth curved platforms and a simple building to construct (demonstrating how to create a 'real' object).

If anyone has made it this far, they're well on the way to creating great routes (for me to drive!).

Nick

Dennis, for do you code all your objects in .csv format?

Mintona

Established Member
Yes - building the platforms is the final part - just platform ramps, smooth curved platforms and a simple building to construct (demonstrating how to create a 'real' object).

If anyone has made it this far, they're well on the way to creating great routes (for me to drive!).

I have been trying very hard to follow, I got lost in a few places though, so when I get the chance, I'll re-read them.

Dennis

Established Member
Dennis, for do you code all your objects in .csv format?

All objects, except the track, which is in .B3D are coded in .csv although .x format was used to demonstrate some of the lighting effects (these were just conversions of existing .csv objects).

Remember that the tutorials were never meant to be a guide to object building - I have only included this aspect to show what is possible and to put into practice what is covered elsewhere.

Nick

Ta Dennis.
I personally code in .b3d as it's easier for me and then convert it to .csv later, Having read through the tutorial I'm a tad curious as to if you place this whole platform as a free object or as a .form object. I've personally used .freeobjects as my platforms are about -30m long so place them as a free object next to the .stop marker. Is there any problem with this way of placing them?

EDIT: Looking froward to the next tutorial on curving the platforms and addimg ramps :)

Dennis

Established Member
Platforms can be indexed either as freeobjects or .forms, each has it's own advantages and I have used both.

When indexed as a .form object, the coding relating to platforms / stations is much easier to spot in the route file and the platform is guaranteed to follow the rail it is associated with.

If indexed as a freeobject, the platform can be used on both the left and right hand sides of the track (simply rotate the freeobject by 180 degrees) - one less object to build and wait for to load.

BTW, with 30m long platform objects, flickering may be a problem where faces overlap. It is much better to make the platforms only as long as is necessary to ensure no gaps are visible. For platforms on completely flat and straight track, 25m is sufficient. If a gradient is present, they will need to be a little longer (the length required can be calculated using Pythagoras's theorm). If the platform is on a constant radius curve, the lengths of the left / right hand sides may need to be different if the curve radius is high.

Nick

Hmmm, my problem with the .form command was that it still needed the object file to be either -1.25 or +1.25 from the track to be where it should be (ie. touching the sleepers), along with the fact form would only be placed at .25m and my stop being normally inbetween the 25m boundaries it seemed to me a bit of a waste of time to use the .form command, however, I do indeed have a curved platform to create however I feel that it shouldn't be to hard to create using some calcualtions. I did a rough platform slabbing texture on my platform but have found as you describe, flickering in the texture when approaching the platfomr (for example the cement between the slabs flickers in and out of focus), the object is coded with a length of -32.8m, would I be perhaps better coding it in 25m, then another 7.8m object and link them together, would this solve my flickering problem?

Dennis

Established Member
Indexing the platform objects as .form gives you no freedom to position them where you want except by altering the object files themselves, so it sounds like using freeobjects is a way forward, ideally not much more than 25m in length and positioned at 25m intervals.

On the subject of object making, I often use a test texture during construction so I can easily see where distortion and overlapping is occurring. Something like the Tesco logo is ideal for this as it is easy to see which way up the texture should be and, because of the writing, where overlapping textures occur.

Might be worth posting a screenshot so the problem can be considered further.

Derek Kaye

I tend to use .form for standard 25m, 5m, or 10m strectes of platforms at a set distance from the track and .freeobj of any custom platforms.

Some of my stations are just one object, but a problem I found with that is that 600m (or whatever your drawing distance is set to) before the station, BVE can pause and stutter while it loads the station then be fine.

If you make your station in 25m sections you can put this pressure on BVE over a larger distance and keep the frame rates up.

I also found that if you include things like platform lights, shelters etc out of one 'super' object then it makes upgrading the object a lot easier as you are just editing one file as opposed to each station on your route

that reminds me.. i really should start doing some coding again

Stooopid

Planet Stooopid (5 Earth Seconds = 1 Stooopid Day)
Some of my stations are just one object, but a problem I found with that is that 600m (or whatever your drawing distance is set to) before the station, BVE can pause and stutter while it loads the station then be fine.

If you make your station in 25m sections you can put this pressure on BVE over a larger distance and keep the frame rates up.

LOL... I once thought of doing the opposite. Giving it a big load (and pause) at 600m instead of 1 or 2 seconds of stuttering every 25m. It might improve the frame rate since I would be combining 4 or 5 freeobjects together so the platform surface would be all in one meshbuilder instead of divided over 4 or 5 freeobjects, etc...

But I decided it was too difficult since the stations contain curves as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.