• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Learner drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Seen at least half-a-dozen driving past and using parked cars for target practice this afternoon. Surely that's not right, a taxi might be OK as you can sit in the back and it's not usually more than 10 - 15mins, but two strangers close together for, what, 45 minutes??

Could also apply to van drivers where there's a mate involved, delivery guys are usually on their own but builders, fitters etc work in pairs at least??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Seen at least half-a-dozen driving past and using parked cars for target practice this afternoon. Surely that's not right, a taxi might be OK as you can sit in the back and it's not usually more than 10 - 15mins, but two strangers close together for, what, 45 minutes??

Could also apply to van drivers where there's a mate involved, delivery guys are usually on their own but builders, fitters etc work in pairs at least??

I would've expected driving lessons to be suspended

telstarbox

Established Member
Was going to say the same thing - I live near a test centre and have seen a couple of instructors going round this weekend! I think the instructors are self employed so won't be covered by the government scheme yet.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Was going to say the same thing - I live near a test centre and have seen a couple of instructors going round this weekend! I think the instructors are self employed so won't be covered by the government scheme yet.

I would've thought they could get into trouble for not following government advice? Would it not also invalidate their insurance potentially?

telstarbox

Established Member
This is why the government need to cover everyone's earnings including the self employed - or the instructors, builders and everyone else have to choose between earning or not earning.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
This is why the government need to cover everyone's earnings including the self employed - or the instructors, builders and everyone else have to choose between earning or not earning.

Well quite, be far more complicated to implement, they might need to just pay a flat rate for everyone rather than differing rates

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I’ve just noticed the same today. Our neighbours son just turned up in one...

oldman

Which is what I would've expected, so are these people taking lessons simply ignorant of that or trying it on?
Is it not tests that have been officially suspended?

I found this online
Driving lessons with RED will continue as normal unless you are self-isolating due to coronavirus

All of our driving instructors are taking special precautions such as cleaning the steering wheel and gear stick before and after each lesson.
Very reassuring:frown:. There are plenty of similar to be found, but maybe they have not updated their websites.

thejuggler

I mentioned hairdressers and barbers previously, driving lessons is no different, but at present they continue as normal.

Also heard of a few more rural pubs are doing decent trade through 'back door' sales.

Howardh

Established Member
Is it not tests that have been officially suspended?

I found this online

Very reassuring:frown:. There are plenty of similar to be found, but maybe they have not updated their websites.
Well that's no different to being sat next to someone in a pub. Even worse, it's more confined.

brad465

Established Member
Well that's no different to being sat next to someone in a pub. Even worse, it's more confined.
No to mention the instructor is exposed to multiple pupils throughout any given day and unless as I would hope the instructor cleans down the steering wheel, gearstick, etc., all the pupils are being exposed to others via these contact surfaces (if that's the best phrase to describe it).

tsr

Established Member
I was somewhat horrified to see trainee motorcyclists out on a CBT training course this afternoon. A good CBT course will involve a fair amount of time learning basics in a group before being sent out on the roads - I did it once and it was hardly a case of distancing oneself from others.

The other problem is that a lot of kit on a CBT is shared, including helmets and gloves. People don't tend to commit to equipment purchasing beforehand. This means that any nasties on these surfaces would quickly translate to a potential infection. I can't imagine they are deep-cleaning helmets and washing gloves (if indeed possible - many won't be washable) between each use.

Status
Not open for further replies.