• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least favourite stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
So, voyagers aside, I'd have to go for the 150/1

I don't know whether it's the fact that sometimes FGW use them on long distance services (Soton - Great Malvern, Weymouth - Gloucester etc.) that contributes to my dislike of them, but I just don't like them. I find that the windows rattle everytime another train goes past, the 3+2 seating is hardly welcoming, and I just find the interior a bit dreary and depressing. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:150129interior.JPG

For the record, I'm not convinved on 170s either, although I'm sure a longer journey on one in the future will make up my mind.

Tramfan

I would have to go for 156s, mainly because I have had several unpleasant journeys on Northern examples in the winter that have had broken heating

pemma

Veteran Member
Can't understand why anyone would hate 323s, as an all round unit they're probably third or fourth best in the country.

Any unit with 3+2 seating can annoy passengers, especially if they aren't making a short journey on it.

The Northern ones seem to have lights that flicker when moving off. I don't know if that's poor maintenance or a design fault.

The 323s are much better than Pacers or 150s but for regular 323 users I imagine the above points could make the units off putting.

Also remember that some of the North West lines that see 323s on stopping services see 175s, Voyagers and Pendolinos on express services so regular users will compare 323s to those more than 142s and 150s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My nominations:

150s: The Northern units I've been on vibrate horribly even when the train is braking/not moving. The ATW units I've been on had a chronic lack of legroom.

185s: Too short, too loud, not very comfortable - a huge backward step from the Voyagers when they were introduced on Manchester-Scotland services.

319s: Seem to always have damage/graffiti whenever I've been on them.

Also, I'm not really a fan of the 465s...

So the 150s, which are most common in the North, the 185s which are only in the North and the 319s many of which are being transferred North in the coming years. While the 465s are very similar in comfort and ride quality to the 323s, ignoring the fact that 465s have First Class.

phil8715

Pendolino's hate them. Give me a class 87 with mkIII/mk2 stock anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

junglejames

Established Member
Any unit with 3+2 seating can annoy passengers, especially if they aren't making a short journey on it.

The Northern ones seem to have lights that flicker when moving off. I don't know if that's poor maintenance or a design fault.

The 323s are much better than Pacers or 150s but for regular 323 users I imagine the above points could make the units off putting.

Also remember that some of the North West lines that see 323s on stopping services see 175s, Voyagers and Pendolinos on express services so regular users will compare 323s to those more than 142s and 150s.

I know, thats what I do. Compare the 323s to pendys. 323s still won<D

David

Established Member
Not keen on Class 220<snip> as they are all "Thrash & takes ages to get going". :D

All Diesel classes are great esp with their "Silencers" removed. :p

!!!!

They are pretty quick off the mark!

Anyway, for me it's 170s as they are gutless when it comes to climbing hills and the horrible droning engine noise.

Also Pacers get a (dis)honourable mention. The ride quality is horrible. Every time I'm forced to use 1 between Doncaster and Scunthorpe, I half expect the conductor to announce that you should "strap yourself in securely", or "put your head between your knees and kiss your a**e goodbye!"

LE Greys

Established Member
444s, for being a sub-standard replacement for 442s with terrible seats and stale air inside - so much so that I tend to catch Voyagers to Reading and HSTs to Paddington rather than travel on one. 450s and 185s are equally uncomfortable, and 185s could certainly do with trailers. 158s annoy me, since they are such a bodge of a design that is neither fish nor fowl (neither express nor local train) that is OK for some of the bits-n-pieces services in the Midlands and Northern England, but ought to be kept out of Scotland and off the former Alphaline routes. Replace them with proper express stock on expresses (100mph and better internal facilities) or proper regional stock (decent low-end acceleration with no need for more than 75, with a comfortable but basic interior). I've also pretty much had enough of our ancient 313s, although there really isn't anything better coming along, 378s are not really suitable for going out to Letchworth - not enough seats.

Robinson

So the 150s, which are most common in the North, the 185s which are only in the North and the 319s many of which are being transferred North in the coming years. While the 465s are very similar in comfort and ride quality to the 323s, ignoring the fact that 465s have First Class.

Interesting point. I'm inclined to say it's coincidental; I certainly didn't make those choices while thinking about that.

Mind you, I'd probably have a better impression of the 185s if they weren't used on routes that they are totally inappropriate for. And maybe Northern will sort the graffiti on the 319s out...

Established Member
Least favourite DMU: Class 172, the seats are awful and whenever there's a gear change the whole train shakes.

Least favourite EMU: Class 376, I honestly can't think of anything good about them.

Dunderhead

I disagree with whoever said they don't like the 365s, I think they're great for the Great Northern route, as far as Cambridge at least.

I find them vastly preferable to the 317s and 321s, which are probably my most disliked units. They probably aren't bad trains, they might even be good ones, but they've been given appalling interiors (FCC's 321 carriages feel like dark prison cells, and their 317 seats feel like they're padded with plastic) and have been grossly neglected, and many of them now rattle and shake alarmingly. I imagine that a bit of investment and engineering could improve the units drastically and give them a new lease of life, and this should be mandated by the DfT in the next round of franchises...

450s I like, when they are used appropriately, which they often aren't.

RyanB

? - why would engineering work in the Edinburgh area force you onto a 320. I didn't think they had ever gone to Edinburgh in passenger use. Did you mean the 322?

This was a Sunday just after new year last year (2011), shortly after Airdrie-Bathgate had reopened, Shotts line trains don't run from Edinburgh to Glasgow on Sundays. I was heading back to Uni in the West and Edinburgh-Falkirk High services started from Linlithgow but were badly disrupted because of the weather.

I did not mean the 322s, 320s did run Edinburgh-Glasgow via Airdrie-Bathgate prior to the 334s being released.

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
I disagree with whoever said they don't like the 365s, I think they're great for the Great Northern route, as far as Cambridge at least.

I find them vastly preferable to the 317s and 321s, which are probably my most disliked units. They probably aren't bad trains, they might even be good ones, but they've been given appalling interiors (FCC's 321 carriages feel like dark prison cells, and their 317 seats feel like they're padded with plastic) and have been grossly neglected, and many of them now rattle and shake alarmingly. I imagine that a bit of investment and engineering could improve the units drastically and give them a new lease of life, and this should be mandated by the DfT in the next round of franchises...

450s I like, when they are used appropriately, which they often aren't.

Thing about the 317s is that, from my point of view, they've always been there. I just about remember them in blue & grey. They're battered old things now, but I sometimes reject a semi-fast if I'm in no hurry, in case the next one is a 7. Rose-tinted spectacles I know. The 321s are in serious need of a refurb, partly since they haven't had a proper one since arriving from Silverlink. Still, to me they're uprated versions of the 317s, so well-suited to living out their lives on the GN route. 365s have some nice features. I've always liked the ball-vents (why can't something similar be a standard feature on new trains) and they still have opening windows. In general, they're OK for what they do.

However, the sooner Thameslink gets hooked up, the sooner we will get new stock. This worries me, because instead of medium-density suburban EMUs, we will end up with high-density Desiro City stock, so probably as uncomfortable as the 360s or 450/5s. A nice batch of 379s would be appreciated for the Cambridge fasts (assuming they do not use spare EC stock) but is decidedly unlikely.

asylumxl

Established Member
A nice batch of 379s would be appreciated for the Cambridge fasts (assuming they do not use spare EC stock) but is decidedly unlikely.

One has welded itself to the wires on the GEML towards there. Betting within a short time they'd bring down the wires on the ECML too :).

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
365s have some nice features. I've always liked the ball-vents (why can't something similar be a standard feature on new trains) and they still have opening windows. In general, they're OK for what they do.

I've spent my day travelling on 365s today and I have to agree about the ball-vents, they were just perfect once the temperature had dropped enough that I didn't want the window open - they're a great feature, especially on the unit that had its heating stuck on (365502).

I stand by the fact that I find the 365s uncomfortable to travel on for more than 30 minutes - there's just something about the seats, I can't get myself comfortable.

atomicdanny

For me the Class 376 mainly because of the seating! Although i'm not really keen on the 375s or 377s (the 375/9s more so and the 377s with similar seating too... i.e. the fabric on plastic approach)) (although for some strange reason i like the livery of the LM 350!)

Established Member
As far as 365s go, I don't dislike them but don't like them either, if there's the possibility of a 317 or 321 I will take it over the 365, even if it takes longer. However I would still prefer a 365 to a 379, which I can't stand.

NSE

Established Member
365's all the way, my second favourite after the 377. I find them comfortable, quick and just excellent. Dislike the 317 cause it just seems so ropey in comparison, low back seating, rattley, too cold. Although I do like one sub class, I forget which though haha

Failed Unit

Established Member
This was a Sunday just after new year last year (2011), shortly after Airdrie-Bathgate had reopened, Shotts line trains don't run from Edinburgh to Glasgow on Sundays. I was heading back to Uni in the West and Edinburgh-Falkirk High services started from Linlithgow but were badly disrupted because of the weather.

I did not mean the 322s, 320s did run Edinburgh-Glasgow via Airdrie-Bathgate prior to the 334s being released.

I didn't know that, not good if you needed a pee ;)

Dunderhead

As far as 365s go, I don't dislike them but don't like them either, if there's the possibility of a 317 or 321 I will take it over the 365, even if it takes longer. However I would still prefer a 365 to a 379, which I can't stand.

I completely understand that the 365s have their flaws and that there are many reasons to appreciate the older units, but do the shaking, the rattling and the crumply-plastic-padded seats of the 317/1s in their current state not drive you insane? I want to enjoy riding them, but I just can't! :(

LE Greys

Established Member
I completely understand that the 365s have their flaws and that there are many reasons to appreciate the older units, but do the shaking, the rattling and the crumply-plastic-padded seats of the 317/1s in their current state not drive you insane? I want to enjoy riding them, but I just can't! :(

Yes, they seriously need a refurb. Provided the seat squabs stay the same and the padding does not decrease in thickness, I reckon they could get another decade out of them, certainly at least as far as the new Thameslink stock coming in.

Established Member

I've always found the first batch of 317s to have quite comfortable seating, as the seats are properly sprung instead of having foam padding. I've not heard them rattling much, not nearly as much as most of the Class 170s I've used, and I've never found the ride to be that rough either. Or maybe I'm just used to them :lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member
I've always found the first batch of 317s to have quite comfortable seating, as the seats are properly sprung instead of having foam padding. I've not heard them rattling much, not nearly as much as most of the Class 170s I've used, and I've never found the ride to be that rough either. Or maybe I'm just used to them :lol:

oh yes, they were good, rather like a suburban version of the Mk2f and Mk3 seat. Similar to the ones used in refurbished CEPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.