• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least favourite stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbon 1

It's probably come up already, but voyagers. Who thought they were a good idea on Cross Country working singly, when a 7 coach HST is busy on a Sunday?

For all those giving the 153s and 156s hate, I quite like them, i have a strange, yet quite annoying ability to fall into a light sleep in all 15Xs :?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dunderhead

I've always found the first batch of 317s to have quite comfortable seating, as the seats are properly sprung instead of having foam padding. I've not heard them rattling much, not nearly as much as most of the Class 170s I've used, and I've never found the ride to be that rough either. Or maybe I'm just used to them :lol:

Are those springs I can feel?? They must be broken or something! lol

Kneedown

Established Member
Anything with the number beginning 15X. Which is a pity because apart from the occasional HST thats all i get to drive.

jon91

3. Trains with inadequate legroom between seats. Some Class 153 seating comes into this category.

Agreed on 153s. Now imagine waiting at Accrington waiting for the Blackpool North-York service, which is usually a nice-if slightly battered 158, and seeing a train consisting of three 153s pull into the platform. <(

Was probably one of the most uncomfortable journeys I've experienced, the cramped seats not agreeing with my six-foot frame at all. It actually made me look forward to getting onto a 225 set at Leeds!

On second thoughts, you might not want to imagine waiting at Accrington due to the possibility of mental scarring.

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
It's probably come up already, but voyagers. Who thought they were a good idea on Cross Country working singly, when a 7 coach HST is busy on a Sunday?

When they came in, I naturally assumed that they were a replacement for the 47s only, working singly or in pairs. With the way things are going, it's a pity the Virgin Challenger idea fell through, especially since it effectively happened anyway in the end.

For all those giving the 153s and 156s hate, I quite like them, i have a strange, yet quite annoying ability to fall into a light sleep in all 15Xs :?

That's not too bad, I know someone who could sleep on my school minibuses, which had suspension like a Pacer and seats like an ancient Mini Metro. :D

MattRobinson

Class 155.

I like class 155's. Mind you, when I used to get them regularly from Wakefield to Huddersfield, I used to travel in a group of 3/4 who always managed to get a table, so barely ever got annoyed at lack of leg room.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

83G/84D

Established Member
Cross Country Voyagers are horrid. No buffet anymore and often overcrowded meaning the trolley can't get through.Uncomfortable cramped seats,smelly toilets and a reservation system that rarely works properly.

Virgin Voyagers are slightly better in terms of seating layout.

Class 153's are noisy with seats that are too low and not much leg room.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Pleasing to see the Voyagers haven't been mentioned too often here :)

For me it's probably the Class 150/2, as they are cramped, noisy, and worse of all, over familiar, for someone reason I infinitely prefer the 150/1's!

143's are just too hard from a ride quality perspective, they do make up for it in personality though!

VTPreston_Tez

Pacers and FGW Sprinters are backaches, so I hate them. I'm still to ride an FGW 158 but I hope it will be good if when I go to West Bay I get the Weymouth-Cardiff train.

VTPreston_Tez

Northern 158s - fell asleep on one on the way back from York to Preston outside Leeds and woke back up just after leaving Halifax. I couldn't move after waking up and struggled all the way home. Because this was on Thursday and my legs still hurt now, the 158 has put me in a foul state for the 800m finals on Tuesday.

Class 317 - it looks like the train that I tended to take from Liverpool Street to Enfield Lock so I have to assume that it was. (Okay, it was.) Simply uncomfortable and one of the worst seating arrangements I have ever seen because benches? Seriously?

LM 350s - "Welcome aboard this London Midland service to Tring. We hope you enjoy our new complimentary covers on our wooden blocks that we believe allow for the comfiest journey when this train does London to Birmingham runs." <-- Life story.

Don't mind the Virgin Voyagers and love the 150s or 172s. I'm not keen on the 143s but of course they're Pacers so would probably go for most XC units. They are pretty dirty at times and not cared for as much as the other 170s. One or two of the XC units do have this "rattling" in the air con, but I do like the 170s, just not many of the 170/6 XC ones!

TheJRB

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of the 465/9s. Yes they sound good, but ride quality is very hit and miss. I travelled on one last year and whenever we crossed over points or went round any significant curve we'd all get thrown about inside! I almost hit my head on a window. It could just be the examples I've travelled on but I find the 465/0s and /1s seem to make for a better ride.

375/9s - why they have 3+2 seating when all the other subclasses to do not is beyond me.

I don't dislike them, but I've spoken to a couple of drivers in the past who say they don't like 37s because of the poor view being so high up in the cab with the nose in front.

LadyDeltic

Besides Voyagers and Pacers (:P), I'd have to say Sprinters. My area of the country has a lot of 158s and 156s, in particular, and any good qualities of theirs are spoiled for me by uncomfortable seats and insufficient legroom!

I'm also a bit wary of Class 380s. In spite loving that noise they make as they accelerate, I find that they tend to make me feel queasy. :P

Lrd

Established Member
I like most classes but there are some out there that are just plain filthy and had years of neglect, this doesn't necessarily make them rubbish stock, just not the most pleasing to travel in.

Telcontar

I'm also a bit wary of Class 380s. In spite loving that noise they make as they accelerate, I find that they tend to make me feel queasy. :P

Ugh, if Siemens don't kill that tortured car alarm squealing with the Desiro City I won't be happy. The 319s have that lovely melodic electrobuzz as they accelerate, and 377s produce a sci-fi movie soundscape, and we stand to lose this all in favour of silly electric keyfob noises.

Siemens make the most absolutely rubbish-sounding electric trains ever.

12CSVT

Established Member
All 'Pacer' units especially the 141s (I feel sorry for Iranian rail travellers), 220s, 221s, 222s, 319s and 390s.

I don't dislike them, but I've spoken to a couple of drivers in the past who say they don't like 37s because of the poor view being so high up in the cab with the nose in front.
Obviously they have never driven a class 20 nose first or a kettle.

user15681

Established Member
375/9s - why they have 3+2 seating when all the other subclasses to do not is beyond me.

I believe the 375/9s have 3+2 seating because they were ordered and designed to be used for commuters on peak services. I think the idea was that 3+2 seating would be able to accommodate more people. The seats are also thinner IIRC and more upright, again to create extra space for people. Of course, by doing this and making extra space, they lose the comfort and are horribly uncomfortable. I'm more than happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. :D

Voyagers, hate them! I'd rather have a packed 142 than a voyager!
HSTs have got to be the perfect unit for me... Especially EMT ones!

LadyDeltic

Ugh, if Siemens don't kill that tortured car alarm squealing with the Desiro City I won't be happy. The 319s have that lovely melodic electrobuzz as they accelerate, and 377s produce a sci-fi movie soundscape, and we stand to lose this all in favour of silly electric keyfob noises.

Never having encountered any interesting-sounding EMUs apart from the Class 380s, I'm probably stuck for comparison. I'll be sure to keep my ears open for your recommendations if I ever travel south. Still, I can't deny a soft spot for the 'tortured car alarm squealing'. It's distinctive, if nothing else - and it brings back happy memories of all my adventures on the Inverclyde Line. :p

LE Greys

Established Member
Never having encountered any interesting-sounding EMUs apart from the Class 380s, I'm probably stuck for comparison. I'll be sure to keep my ears open for your recommendations if I ever travel south. Still, I can't deny a soft spot for the 'tortured car alarm squealing'. It's distinctive, if nothing else - and it brings back happy memories of all my adventures on the Inverclyde Line. :p

If you get a chance to travel in a 442, take it. They growl briefly, then hum, then drone, then whine and finally howl when they reach full speed. The motorcoach is in the middle. Bring a compass as well, it's interesting to see just what the magnetic fields do.

That's one reason why I dislike 444s, they displaced an EMU answer to the HST.

Schnellzug

Established Member

It depends which ones you're talking about..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyCl5GnaRjo&feature=related

4SRKT

Established Member
No surprises here, it's Voyagers (esp XC ones), Pendos and 185s. This doesn't mean I dislike modern traction, as I really like 175s and 444s, and of course 156s.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Agreed - The Siemens Taurus locos sound fantastic, that "violin" effect never ceases to amuse me!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Class 323s are renowned for having a distinctive sound as they set off (or come to a stand):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEWDwR-kYE&feature=related

rf_ioliver

Thinking about it I don't really care what stock turns up, though familiarity breeds contempt and a 150 or 158 I'd consider boring.

The main problem I have with any class is the internal configuration, particularly leg room and the seating comfort. If the internal config of a 153 was the same as the royal train then would there be any complaints?

Voyagers...ok, I've only traveled first class (and also paid for first class and then been thrown out by BTP officers because that area had to be "protected" from the football supporters who'd already made a hell of mess of the rest of the train), were absolutely fine. Engine noise...some but nothing like the levels that some might describe.

Ian

starrymarkb

Established Member

This for a Siemens Unit - you might want to turn the volume up)
http://youtu.be/P018-RQgMog

The UK warbling might be down to the notching to avoid the very strict interference rules for AC traction packs, problem frequencies are 'notched' out (I think the Siemens stock alternates between above and below a problem range). The 323s use a similar method but at a lower frequency (as they are older technology)

QJ

Nowt wrong with 444s or 450s. If you had spent years commuting on 4VEP thingies you would appreciate 450s as the height of luxury. The only down side to 444s is that I also had years of commuting on 4REPs. How I miss the toasted bacon sandwiches made to order and tea or coffee in my lap (usually somewhere in the vicinity of Woking Jn).

A certain 4 and 5 car abomination of a train is my pet hate - no doubt to be joined in the nearish future by IEPs. Time will tell on the latter. After the spoons and markIIs were replaced my regular trips from Manchester to Plymouth (for family visits) were invariably via the through Manchester - Penzance via the Marches sprinter for the comfort factor (the missus heartily approving of this detour for the same reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.