• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least favourite stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tom1649

I'd rather travel on a bus seated Pacer than a Voyager, and in the past have chosen to do so when given the choice. At least I don't feel claustrophobic on a Pacer and I can open a window. I like to be able to see around the carriage and the view is better. The smell of incoming diesel fumes is also preferable to the smell of retention tank toilets. I'm probably in a minority here.

BestWestern

Established Member
Oh dear, we really are opening a whole can of worms here aren't we ;)

Of course! :lol:

It irks me a little when people do the old, "Southerners get all the new trains" routine. It has to be pointed out that the massive influx of Electrostar/Desiro stock which most people tend to be thinking of when they make those comments, arrived primarily to replace the slam door units which served much of the NSE region en masse for many years, and which were certainly well due for replacement. Yes there was other new stock under BR, but most regions had that to some degree, not just the south.

Without wishing to offend, I personally think those views would be better aimed at Scotrail, who really do seem to be able to click their fingers and demand whatever trains they like!

Sadsmileyface

Only the 170s, 334s and 380s could be described as 'new'. As in stock that's less than 15 years old.

Those 380s did turn out pretty well
In the end after every little thing went wrong with them. I'm still amazed at how quiet they are inside.

BestWestern

Established Member
Well, to be fair I didn't say 'new'. I understand they have ranks of 158s chugging about on services which don't justify them?

D365

Veteran Member
Those 380s did turn out pretty well
In the end after every little thing went wrong with them. I'm still amazed at how quiet they are inside.

Desiros are good trains, I must admit. Without wanting to start another EvD debate, isn't Desiro traction quieter than the Electrostar package?

6Gman

Established Member
323s would be improved immensely if the seat padding was increased from its current 0.0000001 mm thickness.

Pacers are truly horrible.

150s get a bit ropey when hammered (Tyseley for example).

153s can be rather cramped (depends on the internal layout).

Other than that I find it hard to nominate any truly bad units.

ert47

Is there actually a reason why? Money i Guess....

I cannot stand some seats on modern trains especially the Class 450's they're a joke

I find the seats on 171s very comfortable... but apart from them (and the seats on East Coast trainsets)...

bronzeonion

I totally agree about the 450s just having awful seats but you'll probably be surprised to hear that the 378 ranks very high in my list, I think the seats are shaped well so are quite comfortable.

D2022

First Great Western 153s, cramped seats with no leg room, got one set of doors that are just annoying narrow despite the massive siding door. Noisy both engine sound wise and the rail noise. They are usually either an inferno or an ice age inside. They look old and tatty, and always seem the odd one out when they tag along with 150s. Scrap them ;)

Goatboy

Established Member
There are few 'poor' units on the network. What there are, however, is numerous examples of the wrong type of stock being used for the journey in hand.

450's on Weymouth to Waterloo. I was amazed when I first realised that they'd replaced the comfortable, long distance oriented 442's with what feel like inner-suburban units.

150's on long runs. 150's are fine for Exmouth to Paignton, or Exeter to Barnstaple and so on. But FGW now insist on putting them on completely unsuitable long distance routes. At more than 5 hours WEY-GMV is longer than almost every other service FGW run - inc some Penzance to Paddington trains - yet it's now almost always a 150 and not a 158.

165's on similar length routes like Hereford to Paddington. They've gone now - thankfully - but seriously, a train this length without proper tables? Really?

Thats about it really. Oh, special mention for Voyagers. It's blissful to find an HST in place of one of those on XC. It's amazing really, how do they manage to get newer stuff so wrong at times?

junglejames

Established Member
I'd rather travel on a bus seated Pacer than a Voyager, and in the past have chosen to do so when given the choice. At least I don't feel claustrophobic on a Pacer and I can open a window. I like to be able to see around the carriage and the view is better. The smell of incoming diesel fumes is also preferable to the smell of retention tank toilets. I'm probably in a minority here.

Id rather a pacer to a voyager as well. Much more pleasant. Seats more comfortable. No disgusting smells.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
323s would be improved immensely if the seat padding was increased from its current 0.0000001 mm thickness.

Despite the thickness (along with the 165/ 166/ 365/ 465/ 466), once the seats are bedded in they actually provide a nice bit of padding, and the seats are an ok shapre. Compare this to voyagers and pendys, and virtually all Siemens stock (esp SWTs lot), which are always hard no matter what.

12CSVT

Established Member
junglejames, pacers are better when they get going, but feel like they've got square wheels at low speed.

Pacers will be even better after 2019 when they have made a one way journey to Rotherham or Stockton (no offence intended to either C. F. Booth or T. J. Thompson). <D

Status
Not open for further replies.