• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least popular journeys made between two stations served by a direct train? Based on tickets sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
"test purposes"?
Yes. Sometimes you need to check that the end to end ticketing system works properly, and that means buying a ticket. A ticket that is priced low enough to be 'disposable' is ideal for such purposes, and it also helps if it's easy to remember.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
Yes. Sometimes you need to check that the end to end ticketing system works properly, and that means buying a ticket. A ticket that is priced low enough to be 'disposable' is ideal for such purposes, and it also helps if it's easy to remember.
Interesting - presumably this is something a TOC does?

Llandudno

Established Member
An
No chance of that, dozens of tickets bought for that journey for test purposes (it's conveniently cheap).
Another common ‘test ticket’ is Burnley Central to Burnley Barracks £1.50 single

route101

Established Member
Amateurs. When I commuted on the E&G (using a Zonecard I have to say!) there were a substantial number of people who appeared to use paper flexipasses as reusable Queen Street gate passes. The giveaway was the desperate scrabbling through their bags for a pen on the very rare occasions the gripper bothered to leave the back cab or, rarer, there was a TE or similar in the front unit of a 6 car 170.

ScotRail appear to have finally cottoned on to this & the flexipass now seems to be smart card only.

Loads of people are doing this at the moment because of no ticket checks. Seen someone ask for High St to Queen St at gateline other week, he was challenged.
Crossmyloof is popular one on East Kilbride line.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Interesting - presumably this is something a TOC does?
I’d be mildly surprised if anyone else was doing it! Mystery shoppers buy proper tickets, and usually travel in order to test every aspect of rail travel.
Another common ‘test ticket’ is Burnley Central to Burnley Barracks £1.50 single
Too expensive!

Llandudno

Established Member
I’d be mildly surprised if anyone else was doing it! Mystery shoppers buy proper tickets, and usually travel in order to test every aspect of rail travel.

Too expensive!
It’s the one we were advised to use!
Are there any cheaper adult single fares than £1.50 anywhere else on the network?

SteveM70

Established Member
Tangentially related to this question, does anyone have any idea what proportion of valid to / from journeys have zero tickets sold per year?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Tangentially related to this question, does anyone have any idea what proportion of valid to / from journeys have zero tickets sold per year?
Going by the tendency of customers to ask for tickets to the main station of the large city they are visiting, I would not be surprised to find there are very large numbers of combinations of suburban London station to suburban Glasgow/Manchester/Birmingham type journeys for which no ticket are sold. Equally, there will be vast numbers of remote rural station to remote rural station journeys that have similarly non-existent sales.

jfisher21

I suspect there is minimal demand for the few direct evening trains from kirknewton to carstairs!

Jgmck

I really can’t imagine there being many tickets sold for Hillfoot to Bearsden due to their proximity.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What are we discussing now?

Random cheap fares around the network or infrequent (or indeed regular) direct services on which there might possibly be *zero* point to point ticket sales?

alangla

It’s the one we were advised to use!
Are there any cheaper adult single fares than £1.50 anywhere else on the network?
Found a couple of £1.30s around Glasgow- Kings Park to Croftfoot (they’re in the same street!) and the aforementioned Bearsden to Hilfoot. There will probably be others

EDIT - a few more: Anderston or Argyle Street to Central and High Street to Queen Street.

Kingston Dan

Surely the key here is last popular/zero journeys on well used/frequent routes? There will be loads of possible journeys between remote/little used stations (or those with only parliamentary services) that for obvious reasons have none or almost no patrons. But it's those otherwise well used stations with frequent services that is the interesting point Bearsden to hillfoot being a good example. Shouldn't the question be least popular journeys between stations as a ratio of overall passenger numbers at the stattions?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I'd have thought some non-toc retailers would also put test purchases through the system from time to time.
Yes, I suppose I meant retailers but for the non-TOC retailers delivery at a TVM or ticket office TIS is, arguably, someone else's problem.

Established Member
Although most posts in this thread refer either to remote lines in Scotland and Wales, or short hops between stations, a good way of discovering little used journeys is to select a service made of two combined routes. For example the Esk valley trains from Whitby are extended beyond Middlesbrough to reach (depending on day and time) Darlington, Newcastle and Hexham. Therefore a journey starting from Battersby (in the middle of nowhere) or James Cook Hospital (serving a distinct local purpose) to any of the intermediate stations between Thornsaby and Darlington (Teeside Airport has to be discounted currently) or intermediate stations on the coast line (excepting Hartlepool, Sunderland) and beyond Newcastle must surely have little or no demand. (Steps back when somebody claims to regularly travel from Sleights to Dinsdale for example!)
I've done Newton Aycliffe-Ruswarp. Shouldn't imagine too many other people have done so.

What about between Botanic & City Hospital in Belfast, journey is only timetabled to take 2 minutes
Did that one on Saturday.

plymothian

Exeter Central to St James' Park

A more popular journey than you might think as the walk between the 2 is round the houses. And in regards to tickets sold, SJP is a common short fare station. Likewise St Thomas - St Davids.

However, Exton - Lympstone Commando and vice-versa would never need to be done on a train.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Before the cycle path was opened some officers from the marine camp would travel between Lympstone Commando and Exton to use the village pub.

algytaylor

I imagine some of the lesser used stations on the Heart of Wales line have probably never had a ticket brought between the two - e.g Llanbister Road to Sugar Loaf.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I imagine some of the lesser used stations on the Heart of Wales line have probably never had a ticket brought between the two - e.g Llanbister Road to Sugar Loaf.

The problem with the more obscure ones is that enthusiasts do that sort of thing - not often, but it won't be zero. You need middle-of-the-road and semi-obscure.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The problem with the more obscure ones is that enthusiasts do that sort of thing - not often, but it won't be zero. You need middle-of-the-road and semi-obscure.

St Germans - Menheniot
Keyham- St Budeaux Ferry Road
Devonport - Dockyard
Chapleton - Newton St Cyres
Just a few from the West

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can't imagine there will be many from Gathurst to Bescar Lane - that's the sort of thing I mean by semi-obscure (sorry @Gathursty :) ). I would be amazed if there weren't a reasonable number of enthusiasts who have bought New Lane-Bescar Lane or Hoscar to one of them, possibly not even making the journey but just to prat about with the stats. (There was a campaign to buy an obscure one in Scotland on uk.railway a while back and I think about 30 or so were sold with nobody actually making the journey - Forsinard to Altnabreac or something like that, all with reservations too - I wonder were they placed?).

Gathursty

Established Member
You're quite right. Gathurst's main draw is the sixth form college nearby so the chance of some student in rural Southport attending there is very remote.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You're quite right. Gathurst's main draw is the sixth form college nearby so the chance of some student in rural Southport attending there is very remote.

Yeah, I'd figure someone living around there (and when I was a kid I actually did have a friend who lived in the farmhouse just up from Bescar Lane, and I bet they never used it either :) ) would be more likely to go to KGV, Ormskirk Grammar/Cross Hall (now merged as Ormskirk School on the old Cross Hall site) or Burscough Priory for sixth form. Though Winstanley wasn't unheard of.

I'd venture that the main users of New Lane and Bescar Lane (to the extent that they have any) may well actually be school/college traffic to/from Southport and Burscough.

Actually, thinking on I had a sort-of-friend (more an acquaintance) who lived in Hoscar, too! I don't think he used it either :D

Last edited:

alangla

I can't imagine there will be many from Gathurst to Bescar Lane - that's the sort of thing I mean by semi-obscure (sorry @Gathursty :) ). I would be amazed if there weren't a reasonable number of enthusiasts who have bought New Lane-Bescar Lane or Hoscar to one of them, possibly not even making the journey but just to prat about with the stats. (There was a campaign to buy an obscure one in Scotland on uk.railway a while back and I think about 30 or so were sold with nobody actually making the journey - Forsinard to Altnabreac or something like that, all with reservations too - I wonder were they placed?).
If it’s the one I’m thinking of it was Culrain to Invershin on 25th January 2010, just found the booking receipt for it in my mailbox. Did that not end up as an RRB anyway as the line was shut after a flood or landslide? I did wonder if they made a special provision for all those “bookings”

Llandudno

Established Member
Yeah, I'd figure someone living around there (and when I was a kid I actually did have a friend who lived in the farmhouse just up from Bescar Lane, and I bet they never used it either :) ) would be more likely to go to KGV, Ormskirk Grammar/Cross Hall (now merged as Ormskirk School on the old Cross Hall site) or Burscough Priory for sixth form. Though Winstanley wasn't unheard of.

I'd venture that the main users of New Lane and Bescar Lane (to the extent that they have any) may well actually be school/college traffic to/from Southport and Burscough.

Actually, thinking on I had a sort-of-friend (more an acquaintance) who lived in Hoscar, too! I don't think he used it either :D
Used to be a decent pub next to Hoscar station, now a private house, even less reason to travel to Hoscar!

Chris M

Canary wharf to heron quays. They are practically in the same building
It's actually a bit of a walk around the dock that seperates them - I suspect the trip is an easy way of getting into CW shopping centre from Heron Quays so there'll be some "laziness to get my lunch" trips!
Depends on your definition of "building" I suppose as it is possible to walk from one to the other completely indoors, although this is significantly longer than at street level as it goes via the Jubilee line concourse.
I did get the train between the two stations the other day though as I arrived at Heron Quays to find both lift and escalator to the southbound platform were not working. Not easily able to use the stairs I instead travelled northbound to Canary Wharf and doubled back south (by chance timing it perfectly to walk through a Stratford train in the middle road). However I don't think the DLR (or LU) sell point to point tickets, only zonal ones, and most people will be using PAYG or season tickets anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.