• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least Populated Place in UK with Two Mainline Stations..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SussexMan

Isn't the whole "post town" thing a bit archaic?

If you want to pay a cheque into Lloyds TSB by post, you just have to address the envelope:

Lloyds TSB
BX1 1LT

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matchmaker

Established Member
I think 'mainline' is being used here as in on the NR network, it could be argued both Tyndrum stations are on branchlines.

The main line of the West Highland Railway. The main line of the Callander & Oban railway.

And as for the Crianlarich/Tyndrum postcode nonsense -Crianlarich has a whole 18 more residents than Tyndrum. So the combined population of 352 share 3 stations...............

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
Bring back City & Victoria i say ;)
The more the merrier!

I always thought they should have put a station at Postwick for the park & ride as its right by the line but I guess buses get you further into the city and would always have a greater frequency.

johnnychips said:
Off the top of my head, Norwich?
Good choice. Guess it depends on how you count population though(city limits/borough/urban area etc).

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Not at all a candidate for "The Least Populated Place", but still one which is a little extreme having at least 5 Mainline stations but only a population of just11,000. This must make it the place with the greatest number of Mainline Stations per had of the population.

The City of London.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not at all a candidate for "The Least Populated Place", but still one which is a little extreme having at least 5 Mainline stations but only a population of just11,000. This must make it the place with the greatest number of Mainline Stations per had of the population.

The City of London.

I make it seven?
Liverpool Street
Fenchurch Street
Cannon Street
Blackfriars
City Thameslink
Faringdon
Moorgate

plus five or six LU stations

You very clearly haven't read any of the posts between the one you've quoted and the one you've just made. Still, as long as you've made your point to your own satisfaction and had a good laugh at your own superiority, that's all that matters I suppose.

And why, pray, would 'actual' administrative geography be any more rational than postal geography? Most postal geography predates current adminstrative geography in any event. You would be ill-advised to get into an argument with me on any aspect of administrative or postal geography. I will eat you for breakfast.

You're such a tool. Issuing a threat on the basis of knowledge of administrative or postal geography. I mean, seriously?! I have btw considerable knowledge on administrative and actual (ie physical/human) geography, but not so much on postal geography AS IT DOESN'T MATTER.

What has postal towns got to do with how many stations a place has? Nothing. The whole point of this discussion was finding places (actual places - you know, where people live, in houses and whatnot - they're called settlements) that have an unusual number of stations. Clearly not (well this supposedly wasn't apparent to you) how many stations there were in each postal district, town, county, whatever. I don't think the Royal Mail care and neither do we.

Anyway, I'll quite happily leave you in your magic world of postal towns. The rest of us will continue to live in the real world.. :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Best. Threat. Ever.

Saddest threat ever, more like.

Last edited:
I make it seven?
Liverpool Street
Fenchurch Street
Cannon Street
Blackfriars
City Thameslink
Faringdon
Moorgate

plus five or six LU stations

City of London has 11 tube stations*, 2 DLR stations (if counted separately from the tube stations) plus Cannon Street, Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street, City Thameslink, Blackfriars (mainline) and Moorgate (mainline) stations. :)

*Aldgate, Bank, Barbican, Blackfriars, Cannon St, Chancery Lane, Liverpool St, Mansion House, Monument, Moorgate, St Paul's.

Farringdon station is in the LB of Islington.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.