• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least sold product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontera2

I've been wondering for a while what the least sold / used product is on the national rail network. By product I don't mean a ticket to a specific rail location but something like AAA ( Accompanied Animals and Articles ) obscure rover or platform ticket. In my 23 years in the industry I don't think I've ever seen an AAA ticket!

What do others think? Random I know...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
First Class Anytime Return tickets, Platform Tickets, Kent Rovers, All Line Rovers and excess tickets

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
First Class Anytime Return tickets, Platform Tickets, Kent Rovers, All Line Rovers and excess tickets
None of those are actually that rarely sold.

I do wonder how often SILK procedure is used these days. From various chats with some ticket office staff, not very much (if at all at most stations).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
SILK is almost obsoleted by the use of one of the online ticketing sites paying by PayPal to allow any-card collection.

(I say almost because you do need *a* card to pick it up).

I'd imagine the least sold point to point tickets are the Anytime Returns on flows where the Off Peak has an "any train after 0415" non-restriction on it. Only someone requiring outbound overnight[1] break of journey would purchase those, and even then they may find it cheaper to buy a pair of Off Peak Returns in opposite directions and bin the outward portions.

[1] Same day break of journey is de-facto available on all non-Advance tickets - I have never heard of any enforcement against it simply because there are too many cases where it's allowed anyway, e.g. popping out through the barrier to use station facilities such as retail.

CyrusWuff

Established Member

I do wonder how often SILK procedure is used these days. From various chats with some ticket office staff, not very much (if at all at most stations).

Had one just last week...which was "fun" because we had trouble finding a phone number for the other station thanks to the lack of railway switchboard, and the number in Knowledgebase not working! Ended up going via the other TOC's Control.

As for AAA tickets, I've sold one in my career, and that was down to a student extracting the urine with the amount of luggage they were carrying (and monopolising a mobility assistance buggy to get to the train!). If memory serves, there was that much luggage that the AAA charge worked out to more than the ticket price.

Similarly, I've seen precisely one Travel Agent Discount Authority, though the agency hadn't ticketed it for some reason so we duly sold the required ticket.

I've never sold a Dutchflyer (Harwich - Hook of Holland) ticket, but I have sold several Rail-Sea-Rail tickets to Irish destinations.

BluePenguin

On Moderation

Are they not? I guess it depends on who you are and how much money you have. Business travellers and train enthusiasts most likely the majority market

I know that platforms tickets are popular amongst train spotters but can't think of anyone else who would request one. Your chats with staff back this up. I guess that must mean people just ask to me let through if they are seeig someone off these days.

Excess tickets appeared to have declined but seem to be making a comeback, especially because of young people who buy short and over travel to save themselves some money and don't get away it

Ibex

I've often wondered how many people buy Oxford Evening Out rovers...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Are they not? I guess it depends on who you are and how much money you have. Business travellers and train enthusiasts most likely the majority market

I know that platforms tickets are popular amongst train spotters but can't think of anyone else who would request one. Your chats with staff back this up. I guess that must mean people just ask to me let through if they are seeig someone off these days.

I bought one at Oxford road last year to go through the barrier and use the loo (there wasn't anyone manning it at he time to ask).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Excess tickets appeared to have declined but seem to be making a comeback, especially because of young people who buy short and over travel to save themselves some money and don't get away it
Excess tickets are frequently issued. We issue quite a lot of them although that was when Avantix was still in use. Not sure now.

We sell quite a few Kent Rovers AIUI from the last set of numbers.

ALRs do an OK-ish trade iirc but numbers aren't massive.

Platform tickets depend on the station. Some stations have always issued them whereas other places just get you to either sign in or wave you through.

Still a fairly significant market in long-distance Anytime Returns. Our latest numbers surprised me just how many were issued with a Railcard discount (not Two Together).

AMD

I do excess tickets quite regularly - the most common reason is people buying from a TVM and they end up with a single when they wanted a return.

Loop & Link

3 times in 2 years I had them! <(

trash80

Established Member
How much is a platform ticket typically these days? The last time i got one was from one of the wall mounted machines at Birmingham New Street and it cost me 2p.. obviously that was a long time ago.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
How much is a platform ticket typically these days? The last time i got one was from one of the wall mounted machines at Birmingham New Street and it cost me 2p.. obviously that was a long time ago.
The last one I bought (at Hastings to see a Javelin special) was 10p, although I think some stations (Leeds?) charge or did charge double that.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
£72.86 per day-I suppose there must be a lot of restrictions? Why are few sold?
Generally not valid into London on intercity operators before 10am, and not at Birmingham on CrossCountry morning peak either.

Commuters would find season tickets far more flexible. Most leisure travellers would probably find it quite expensive and have better use for their money.

ashworth

Established Member
Most leisure travellers would probably find it quite expensive and have better use for their money.

I can see why some people would want to have a week travelling with an All Line Rover, but I don’t think, as I get older, it’s for me. If I paid that much I would want to be getting maximum value for money by travelling huge distances but I prefer to stop and visit interesting historic cities, towns and villages. I prefer to base myself in a comfortable hotel and make use of a regional 7 Day Rover Ticket such as North West, North East, Heart of England, South West etc. Then I can still do plenty of travelling but have time to visit an area at a more leisurely pace and actually explore some interesting locations.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Still a fairly significant market in long-distance Anytime Returns. Our latest numbers surprised me just how many were issued with a Railcard discount (not Two Together).
Because if you want to travel from Penzance to Alnmouth, for instance, by XC and aren't able to book weeks in advance this is often what is offered to the railcard holder - ask my wife!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Ticket from London to Calais?
I remember seeing a forum member post about getting one a few months ago, but I doubt allot of people know of it's existence. I can imagine if you asked for it somewhere outside of London you will be met with bemused looks.
Sam

didcotdean

I've often wondered how many people buy Oxford Evening Out rovers...
The person I last bought one of these from had to consult his colleague with a question along the lines of 'have we managed to find out if there is a Network Card discount with these'? (The answer was yes, and yes.)

Harbouring

I bought a single between the Portsmouth stns once which can’t sell many, the bus is much much cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.