• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least Used Terminating Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
On the original question, I can't imagine Bedwyn (outer terminus of GWR Turbo services) is particularly busy; the village apparently has a population of 1386. Looks like an absolutely beautiful little village, though.
You might be surprised. Bedwyn has something like 130,000 passenger exit/entrances annually.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Bedwyn probably has more passengers in a typical week (according to the official ORR figures) than Chathill or Battersby do in a whole year.

Journeyman

Established Member
Bedwyn is an odd place to terminate trains, though, and always has been. It feels very much the epitome of an arbitrarily chosen boundary.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'm certain I got a train on the Esk Valley Line from Middlesbrough which terminated at Danby a few years ago. Does it still run?

HST43257

Established Member
I'm certain I got a train on the Esk Valley Line from Middlesbrough which terminated at Danby a few years ago. Does it still run?
The Danby terminator ran until fairly recently I believe. Battersby is lower usage anyway.

Gathursty

Established Member
Agreed, it's a bit bizarre they don't either continue to Westbury or terminate at Newbury.
Hungerford commuters would be alarmed if Bedwyn servies were cut back to Newbury. I feel very sorry for Pewsey in all this.

Veteran Member
The Danby terminator ran until fairly recently I believe. Battersby is lower usage anyway.
It ran in 2019-2020, the year (or two?) before it terminated at Commondale (which is busier than Battersby anyway).

Hungerford commuters would be alarmed if Bedwyn servies were cut back to Newbury. I feel very sorry for Pewsey in all this.
Not as sorry as you might have been back in the 70s.... see #27 (and IIRC that was an improvement on the late 60s!

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/nse-westbury-london-paddington.215316/

Glenn1969

Established Member
Why can Bedwyn services not run to Pewsey or Westbury? Or even Trowbridge which has a a ridership of 970k pre Covid ?

MadMac

Not current, but the Carlisle-based Derby Lightweight DMUs had Harker on the destination blind, which struck me as an odd place to terminate a service on a planned basis. Perhaps someone with local knowledge could elaborate?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not current, but the Carlisle-based Derby Lightweight DMUs had Harker on the destination blind, which struck me as an odd place to terminate a service on a planned basis. Perhaps someone with local knowledge could elaborate?
RAF base nearby?

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Bedwyn is an odd place to terminate trains, though, and always has been. It feels very much the epitome of an arbitrarily chosen boundary.

I, too, was puzzled by this. When I worked at Regional HQ Paddington I asked my passenger colleagues and they gave the reason that it had been the boundary between two districts (or the later divisions), and the district to the West ceased running stopping trains, so the district to the East had to terminate its stoppers there. But I've never been able to find a time when Bedwyn actually was an operating boundary, so it's still a bit of a mystery

Kite159

Veteran Member
Wasn't Bedwyn used as it had a turnback siding where the terminating train could lay over.

Although I can see in the future when Devizes parkway opens the Bedwyn terminators extending to Westbury (assuming the 4th platform returns to use).

Journeyman

Established Member
Wasn't Bedwyn used as it had a turnback siding where the terminating train could lay over.

Although I can see in the future when Devizes parkway opens the Bedwyn terminators extending to Westbury (assuming the 4th platform returns to use).
I think the turnback siding was built because it was decided to terminate trains there, not the other way around.

Veteran Member
I, too, was puzzled by this. When I worked at Regional HQ Paddington I asked my passenger colleagues and they gave the reason that it had been the boundary between two districts (or the later divisions), and the district to the West ceased running stopping trains, so the district to the East had to terminate its stoppers there. But I've never been able to find a time when Bedwyn actually was an operating boundary, so it's still a bit of a mystery
According to the Signalling Record Society, Bedwyn was the last box in the London Division.
Pre rationalisation short workings ended at Hungerford or Savernake; I imagine permission to close Bedwyn wasn't sought because it was relatively busy. The stations further West closed with the Devizes loop IIRC.
I think the turnback siding was built because it was decided to terminate trains there, not the other way around.
I have a vague memory that in semaphore days trains had to shunt via a trailing crossover and, if necessary, into the former goods yard behind the up platform. Certainly the present facing crossover is " modern."

D7666

Terminal station ? :idea:

Fewest trains per day ? :?:

If the current rate of progress continues : St.Pancras International (the real international bit). <D

trainmania100

Established Member
Would have said Newhaven harbour but looking at the live train times, it doesn't look like the Brighton to Newhaven harbour runs anymore
(Referring to the Brighton - Newhaven harbour, shunt to marine, then ECS to Brighton or Lewes can't remember.

For the sake of a valid reponse I'll just say shanklin, can't imagine many people rely on a train on Isle of Wight to the furthest stop, when the line only covers 8 miles of the island LOL

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Quainton Road? Only served by Chiltern on Bank Holiday Mondays.

Not part of the National Network. I really do wonder about Chathill - is this the best use of a train set and paths.

Yes, I know there are diehards out there will scream it is "neccesary" , and we must cling onto every piece of service provision .I dare say it is an enjoyable piece of work to run out there crew wise on a fine evening but in the depths of a January evening.

Better uses for resources I reckon. I never clamoured personally for a return of the Croxley Green branch for example. I had better uses for 313's and train crew.

Amlag

What about Coombe Jn Halt (in Cornwall) which has two trains eachway ( terminators / starters)
Mon- Sat, with less than a thousand passengers a year.

Doomotron

St James Park is definitely low, but certainly not the lowest.

What about Sandwich? It's a bit of a loophole though, as no train that 'terminates' there actually terminates.

Status
Not open for further replies.