• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least used track in regular use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidal

What track or route has the least frequent usage that is also regular? So a once in a blue moon RHTT won't count but a timetabled service.

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The DJ

Any stretch of track served only by a Parliamentary service.
There is no timetabled regular service on the local lines between Northfields and Acton Town. The two local tracks are the closest thing LUL have to a test track

Ant158

Clitheroe to Hellifield has regular but infrequent freight trains and only weekly Sunday passenger service.

MarlowDonkey

South Ruislip to Greenford on the "New North Main Line" doesn't see much traffic. Apart from freight, just one passenger train each way to and from West Ealing.

Llandudno

Established Member
Carnforth to Morecambe avoiding Lancaster must be a contender?

David Goddard

Established Member
Well if we are talking passenger lines then we are back to the old favourite Stockport-Stalybridge, with its once train per week in each direction
The 0517 Lancaster to Morecambe operates six days a week

4F89

Well if we are talking passenger lines then we are back to the old favourite Stockport-Stalybridge, with its once train per week in each direction

The 0517 Lancaster to Morecambe operates six days a week
But Denton and reddish do see like 20 freight trains a day

InOban

Established Member
Cowlairs N curve is only used on a few Sundays in summer when there's a direct Edinburgh to Oban train.

Intercity 225

The track behind the former Brightside station in Sheffield must be a contender - currently scheduled to see one ECS train a week in one direction only although on rare occasions it may see more use during times of disruption.

I learned this from a thread I started in December about a former service that used the same piece of track - you may find it interesting and can read it here.

The thread also contains some excellent photos by @eastwestdivide of a Class 170 using the track in question.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
South Ruislip to Greenford on the "New North Main Line" doesn't see much traffic. Apart from freight, just one passenger train each way to and from West Ealing.
Is there still traffic between Greenford and Park Royal? If yes, then that stretch will see even fewer trains.

MarlowDonkey

Is there still traffic between Greenford and Park Royal?
I think it's been severed to allow the construction of HS2 and the new station at Old Oak Common. There has been conjecture about a future Chiltern service to Old Oak, so presumably there's a plan that it should be reinstated eventually.

Annetts key

Established Member
What track or route has the least frequent usage that is also regular? So a once in a blue moon RHTT won't count but a timetabled service.

James
Passenger or freight?

And define regular. Once a day or more, once a week or more, or some other period.

I ask, because some freight lines have multiple timetabled services, but many only run as required, hence although say four services may be listed per day, there may only be a train once or twice per weekday.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Freight to Park Royal about once a week.
Thank you. Yes, that's what I thought. In which case it's a contender in this competition!

There's an enthusiast with a high quality camera who films in that location and uploads his material to YouTube. His name is Lee Bailey or Les Bailey . . . something like that.

TXMISTA

Portishead Line? Not sure how often freight trains are scheduled to travel on it but I’ve seen the odd train from the Avon Gorge once in a blue moon

Peter0124

Established Member
Newton to Uddingston link line is rarely used. Only an ECS from Motherwell to Newton uses it each weekday and also a Glasgow-Euston on Saturday morning

Penmorfa

In tthe early 70's the Copy Pit line had no regular services. It was practice to run a Class 25 over the line in each direction daily. This was to ensure that if a train did run that way unexpectedly it would show up on the track circuits in Preston power box. There may well be sections of track where this practice is still followed.

L401CJF

Established Member
Helsby to Ellesmere Port has had nothing run over it for the most of last year except the 4 weekly pair of 73s on the Derby RTC circuit.

I believe the once or twice a day Northern service has been reintroduced over the last month or so, now operating between Ellesmere Port and Lime Street instead of Ellesmere Port to Leeds as before, and there have been a number of light engine 47 moves the last few weeks for driver route learning.

I'm don't think it sees any freight at all these days, definitely not up the Stanlow/Ellesmere Port end anyway.

Skipness

The line from Saltburn to Boulby mine (what remains of the former coastal route to Whitby) carries freight “as required” but there has been local talk of a reinstatement of passenger services. (Pie in the sky is my feeling in the present climate)

WestRiding

The Deepcar/Stocksbridge branch, especially since Liberty Steel went under.

Annetts key

Established Member
Portishead Line? Not sure how often freight trains are scheduled to travel on it but I’ve seen the odd train from the Avon Gorge once in a blue moon
One ran there (to Portbury Docks) and back on the 3rd (see here https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-06-03/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt ). If you are talking about to Portishead, well, yes, it’s been many years since a train ran on the section of line where the ‘junction’ with the spur to Portbury Docks is and the end of the line at Portishead. In fact the junction points I mentioned above were taken out and plain line used in place of them as soon as freight to Portbury Docks started…

TXMISTA

One ran there (to Portbury Docks) and back on the 3rd (see here https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-06-03/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt ). If you are talking about to Portishead, well, yes, it’s been many years since a train ran on the section of line where the ‘junction’ with the spur to Portbury Docks is and the end of the line at Portishead. In fact the junction points I mentioned above were taken out and plain line used in place of them as soon as freight to Portbury Docks started…
No, I was talking about the section of the Portishead line that’s been reopened and connects with Portbury Docks as you’ve mentioned.

Established Member
Any stretch of track served only by a Parliamentary service.
Yes.
I went on this on the last Saturday of the COVID timetable 15th May. It was nice to go past the most scenic point on the West Coast Main Line at Hest Bank on a 158. In the new timetable only the first service at 05:17 uses this line and only in the southbound direction, but in the COVID timetable it was the one returning from Heysham Port in the middle of the day, which made it a lot easier to get to, and it ran northbound.
The following week I went on this. It seemed busier in the northbound return journey than the southbound outward one. There was an old man who couldn’t use the internet asking Avanti staff at Stockport if it was running again and they didn’t seem to know anything about it.
Helsby to Ellesmere Port has had nothing run over it for the most of last year except the 4 weekly pair of 73s on the Derby RTC circuit.

I believe the once or twice a day Northern service has been reintroduced over the last month or so, now operating between Ellesmere Port and Lime Street
Likewise with the Morecambe-Carnforth service, Helsby-Ellesmere Port is served by the first service from Lime Street at 05:10 Monday-Saturday. This is also the only service to use the Earlestown West Curve since the regular Lime Street-Warrington Bank Quay service that was present in the previous timetable has been withdrawn, so I may be spending a night at Lime Street in the coming weeks.

Upon further inspection it appears that there are additional Helsby-Ellesmere Port shuttles at 18:54 in the week and 06:41 and 18:06 Saturdays Only, as well as returns to Helsby at 06:33 and Lime Street at 19:10 on weekdays and 06:22, 07:14 and 18:19 on Saturdays, all to Helsby, with nothing on Sundays.

Also Warrington Bank Quay-Lime Street services using the Earlestown West Curve northbound at 19:11 weekdays and 09:10 and 19:10 Saturdays. Additionally Lime Street-Warrington Bank Quay 08:03 on Saturdays. The east curve is used by TfW Chester-Manchester Airport services.

Clitheroe to Hellifield has regular but infrequent freight trains and only weekly Sunday passenger service.
I’m also planning on going on this in the next few weeks. This should be used more for tourism when it leads directly onto the Settle-Carlisle line. The Midland Railway had running powers to go via Blackburn and Bolton on the L&Y to reach their Settle-Carlisle line from Manchester, but nothing does this now.
I think it's been severed to allow the construction of HS2 and the new station at Old Oak Common. There has been conjecture about a future Chiltern service to Old Oak, so presumably there's a plan that it should be reinstated eventually.
That was the junction for GWR expresses from Paddington to Birkenhead Woodside (therefore also Ellesmere Port and Helsby). Maps of HS2 don’t even show the new route obstructing the junction, so hopefully it has only been severed for construction work and will be put back. I’m very interested in that line and will be starting a thread on it.
Simon Calder from The Independent did a very good documentary about Portishead in 2008 and it still hasn’t reopened. I’ll have to go there and to Okehampton when it does.

Where else has a parliamentary train? Do we also know which lines are technically open but haven’t seen a train in a long time. Okehampton and Portishead (to Portbury Docks) are technically open but Okehampton hasn’t had any freight since Meldon quarry closed in 2011 or even a special passenger train since summer 2019 due to COVID and Portishead hasn’t had a passenger train since 2002 when it reopened, or since 1964 when it closed. It would be a nice ride as well through Avon Gorge and under the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

Also the North Mersey Branch (Aintree-Bootle) hasn’t seen anything at all in a very long time.

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
Do we also know which lines are technically open but haven’t seen a train in a long time. Okehampton and Portishead (to Portbury Docks) are technically open but Okehampton hasn’t had any freight since Meldon quarry closed in 2011 or even a special passenger train since summer 2019 due to COVID and Portishead hasn’t had a passenger train since 2002 when it reopened, or since 1964 when it closed. It would be a nice ride as well through Avon Gorge and under the Clifton Suspension Bridge.
Although there has been no regular timetabled service, there have been some specials and charter trains on the Postishead/Portbury lines since 1964…

I’m sure there is more information elsewhere as well…

D6975

Established Member
29/09/12​
150266153380150238TMPORTBURY DOCKS ENTRANCE
Entry from, my haulage log.

Established Member
Although there has been no regular timetabled service, there have been some specials and charter trains on the Postishead/Portbury lines since 1964…

I like being corrected like this because now I’ve found out something more interesting than my original statement.
29/09/12​
150266153380150238TMPORTBURY DOCKS ENTRANCE
Entry from, my haulage log.
What was this? Did a 5 car sprinter formed of 2 150s with a 153 sandwiched in the middle run from Temple Meads to the Portbury Docks Entrance in 2012? I would’ve liked to have seen that. Would they have been in old First Great Western livery?

D6975

Established Member
A special weekend of services. It also did the Henbury loop, but I couldn't do that run.

Established Member
A special weekend of services. It also did the Henbury loop, but I couldn't do that run.
That’s a very good example of what I was asking. The Portishead line likely won’t have seen even the specialest of special passenger trains for over 10 once it reopens, complete with 2 new stations. Ashton Gate is phase 2.

Sean Emmett

There were GWR 150 specials to Portishead in 1985. I travelled on one as a student, hauled by 46443 from the Severn Valley. Others ran with Hinton Manor, and the chocolate and cream cl 117 dmu.

I chased the Hastings unit tour on my cycle, it did the Severn Beach line too.

Since the line re-opened to Pill, and new contruction to Portbury, I have been down the gorge behind a standard tank and 5029 Nunney Castle.

Looking forward to it finally re-opening for regular services.

Status
Not open for further replies.