• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leatherhead - Three Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjohnson

The better half is likely to be making a number of Leatherhead (LHD) to Three Bridges (TBD) journeys in the future, and ideally would like to keep options flexible in terms of routes or have the option to go via London. However, as there is no Any Permitted fare for this route this doesn't seem straightforward. Hence a few questions for the collective wisdom of the forum please!
  • Is the 'not via Clapham Jct' fare valid via Horsham? I can't see how on the maps, but online sites will sell tickets with an itinerary for it.
  • Is the 'via Clapham Junction' ticket valid via London ? (e.g. LHD - Waterloo - London Bridge - TBD; no doubling back, and passes through Clapham Jct)
  • Can the more expensive 'Clapham Junction' ticket be used on a cheaper route avoiding Clapham Junction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
The better half is likely to be making a number of Leatherhead (LHD) to Three Bridges (TBD) journeys in the future, and ideally would like to keep options flexible in terms of routes or have the option to go via London. However, as there is no Any Permitted fare for this route this doesn't seem straightforward. Hence a few questions for the collective wisdom of the forum please!
  • Is the 'not via Clapham Jct' fare valid via Horsham? I can't see how on the maps, but online sites will sell tickets with an itinerary for it.
  • Is the 'via Clapham Junction' ticket valid via London ? (e.g. LHD - Waterloo - London Bridge - TBD; no doubling back, and passes through Clapham Jct)
  • Can the more expensive 'Clapham Junction' ticket be used on a cheaper route avoiding Clapham Junction?

1) Yes. The route via Horsham is valid because it's the shortest route. (It's not a mapped route as you've found.)

2) Probably not. Unless it's changed relatively recently, route 00603 (via Clapham Junction)
a) requires your journey to include Clapham Junction; and
b) excludes travel via London.

However, given that the Yellow Pages indicates mapped routes via London (and there isn't an Any Permitted or Via London ticket) I don't see how an ordinary member of the public could be expected to guess there's a not-via-London restriction for this route hidden away in the routeing guide data.

3) For via Horsham? I don't think so, no. Common sense would say that it should be allowed but IIRC you can't change of route excess a season and so there's no (implicit) zero fare excess

paul1609

Established Member
If you are looking for a season ticket a Clapham Junction to Horsham Route "Not via London" season is valid both via Leatherhead and Three Bridges and is slightly cheaper than the Leatherhead to Three Bridges via Clapham Junction season.

cjohnson

Thanks - it would not be a season ticket if that changes the answer to point 3?

cjohnson

2) Probably not. Unless it's changed relatively recently, route 00603 (via Clapham Junction)
a) requires your journey to include Clapham Junction; and
b) excludes travel via London.

However, given that the Yellow Pages indicates mapped routes via London (and there isn't an Any Permitted or Via London ticket) I don't see how an ordinary member of the public could be expected to guess there's a not-via-London restriction for this route hidden away in the routeing guide data.

Thanks - how does one find this "hidden" routeing data? (Is it tucked away on Brfares somewhere?)

kieron

Established Member
In this case, I think you'd have to pay RDG to give you access to their "routeing guide" data feed. I don't think any of the freely available data covers this.

Quite why they would want to prevent "via Clapham Junction" tickets from being used via London when there's a perfectly good "via Clapham Junction not London" route available is a bit of a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.