• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LED signals, black blanking plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillipimo

I noticed something about the LED signals around Wolverhampton. A lot have these black plates affixed to the side of the signal head.

Does anyone know what the purpose is? To block light from distracting from the signal aspect I guess?

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_123357.jpg
    IMG_20211011_123357.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 383
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
A lot of these new signals fold to the ground so perhaps its to stop the signal head being on the floor? Could well be wrong!

sw1ller

Established Member
Those LEDs are that bright there’s absolutely zero chance you’d get a false read from them.
Is It not just strengthening, the plates are quite thin and look flimsy, in high wind I would guess they might bend?
Not a clue though, just a guess.

Spartacus

Established Member
Could be to reduce the risk of a read through occurring where you've more than one signal in your line of sight at once.

RightAwayGuy

They are actually really useful. They help reduce read throughs by providing a solid black strip and they help with general signal sighting issues.

The signals are the bright LED ones in the area but that doesn't mean a lot, because the sun is brighter so every little helps.

Also the signals get quite tight round that neck of the woods.

mr_moo

Seconded. Whilst I don't know the area and thus cannot comment specifically, the most likely reason is either to avoid read-through, i.e. where a different signal could be confused by a driver with this one, and thus a blanking plate is fitted to avoid the second signal being visible, or at least to reduce it's visibility, or to reduce other sources of light, usually the sun but not always, that can either make it harder to see the signal or possibly give phantom aspects. Phantom aspects are much less of a problem with LEDs though, so probably more just to help the drivers actually see it clearly when the sun is behind the signal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.