• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lee Valley Class 315's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GospelOak117

I drove past Ponders End station on the Lee Valley this morning as usual on my way to work and saw an 8-car 315 pulling into the station. I was just wondering how often the 315's make it up the Lee Valley via Ponders End and how far they operate to/from? Is it just Cheshunt and Hertford East or do they make it to Bishops Stortford at all?

I'm just curious as i've used the Lee Valley Lines all my life but never caught a 315 on that route, only ever 317's and of course now 379's too.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
There are still diagrams that take Cl315s down to Hertford East via the Lea Valley, but not as many as there used to be. They can also turn up on Stratford to Bishops Stortford services from time to time if there is a shortage of Cl317s for whatever reason. They used to make these trips much more frequently but not so much now.

O L Leigh

GospelOak117

Ah right I see, thanks for that. It's amazing how far out a toiletless suburban train with hard low-backed seats can wind up working. I bet that's a bit of a shock for the passengers on that line then when one of those turns up!

Do you know if they still even reach Southend Victoria anymore?

O L Leigh

Established Member
No idea. That's on the dark side.

The trip down to Hertford East is less than an hour, as it is between Stratford and Bishops Stortford, so it's not awful.

O L Leigh

Southern

The 0400/0430/0626/0718 Southend Victoria - Liverpool Street show in OTT as being Class 315 operated, as does the 0528 from Liverpool Street. Units for the latter then work the 0718.

^^^^^^^^^^
We then get one 8 car back about 19:12 in service, extended from Shenfield, then get 22/20 and 22/50ish cars back for the morning service.

Established Member
The all day booked 315 diagram to Hertford is recent - there had been none off-peak for years before - as a result of the 317/7 withdrawl and associated diagramming re-shuffle.

NXEA!

315's do occasionally make it down the GEML as well - in recent years ('One'/NXEA days) they've made it to Braintree on at least one occasion and Colchester also I think, both on passenger services. I'm guessing the brisk acceleration will keep them out of the way of 100mph stock so its not too bad if they do turn up on these services, which is once in a blue moon.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Is the fleet common user now, or do they try and keep certain 315s on the west Anglia side and others on the great eastern side. I recall on of the late night services out of Liverpool Street was 315 operated a few years back, luckily the next train to harlow wasn't so the bladder was safe.

Established Member
I've had 315837 from Cambridge to Tottenham Hale, and 847 back the same evening in January last year, as there was a shortage of 317s. We kept to time very well, presumably due to the greater acceleration than a 317 (and timetable padding of course :P)

AndyHA

Bit off topic I realise , but I had a 9 car ( 3 x 3 ) Class 306 Shenfield unit fast from Liverpool Street to Colchester . As a relief to a Norwich express on Christmas Eve in circa 1967 or 1968 . On arrival at Colchester it was ECS back to Liverpool Street .

O L Leigh

Established Member
Is the fleet common user now, or do they try and keep certain 315s on the west Anglia side and others on the great eastern side.

Nope. It's been one common fleet for a good while now, ever since the refurb programme got underway. I've driven ratty looking pre-refurb GE units in FGE "swoosh" livery on WA services.

I've had 315837 from Cambridge to Tottenham Hale, and 847 back the same evening in January last year, as there was a shortage of 317s. We kept to time very well, presumably due to the greater acceleration than a 317 (and timetable padding of course :P)

Yes, there was even a pair working a semi-fast during the evening peak.

Keeping to time wouldn't be that hard, but mostly because of the linespeed. There wouldn't be much time lost doing 75mph in an area of 80mph linespeed, and even where the linespeed increases to 90mph. The acceleration on these units may be brisk, but only the initial acceleration. These little trains run out of puff pretty quickly.

O L Leigh

The 315's are booked to work the 0742, 1112 & 1442 Liv St - Hertford East services (Monday - Friday only). That's their only booked working along the Lea Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.