• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Central, Leeds City and Bradford Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister-sparky

Hello!

I am doing some research on old railway services in the Yorkshire area and I need some help.

Can anyone tell me, or point me in the direction of how to find out, the passenger services that used to operate from Leeds Central, Leeds City and Bradford Exchange? Up until the early 1960s. Local and long distance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hello!

I am doing some research on old railway services in the Yorkshire area and I need some help.

Can anyone tell me, or point me in the direction of how to find out, the passenger services that used to operate from Leeds Central, Leeds City and Bradford Exchange? Up until the early 1960s. Local and long distance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
See

6Gman

Established Member
Xpress Publishing's British Railways Railway Centres No.1 Leeds Central (they don't go in for short titles) gives a full timetable for Winter 1957, complete with engine diagrams and carriage workings for Leeds Central, with most GN services into Bradford Exchange. Copies were obtainable a few months ago (and may still be) from Booklaw in Nottingham. Can't help with Leeds City, but the Xpress book is excellent.

Ianigsy

If you can find a copy of the relevant Bellcode Books volumes for Leeds and Bradford, they have bags of informatio.

There are two books on Bradford's Railways in full colour covering the 1960s period. Volume 1 cover the Midland Line to the north of the city emanating from Forster Square station. Volume 2 covers the former L&YR and GNR lines from Exchange station as well as other line to Keighley via the triangular station at Queensbury, the Idle branch and the route to Wakefield via Dudley Hill, Birkenshaw and Adwalton. Profusely illustrated in full colour along with informative captions. Available from https://www.willowherbpublishing.com/

Attachments

• BFD Vol1 Cover 150dpi.jpg
    BFD Vol1 Cover 150dpi.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Bradford Railways Vol 2 Cover 200dpi.jpg
    Bradford Railways Vol 2 Cover 200dpi.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 11
  • BFDV1 - Push & Pull Sumer 2018 lowres.jpg
    BFDV1 - Push & Pull Sumer 2018 lowres.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 11

Bigman

I have out recently that when my grandad worked for the Post Office, he used to drive those little old mail trucks from Leeds New Station (as it was back in the early 50’s) across to the main Post Office sorting office on Quebec Street. Apparently, there were some sorting offices under the platform level at the station. Does anyone know if this is true and if there is anywhere that may be a source of any photographs of the offices. I do remember the old subway between the platforms (and very basis gents loos) that went when the station was revamped 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.