• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds depot instead of Crofton for HS2 NE arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-44695730

High-speed trains will be maintained at a depot to be built in Leeds, creating up to 125 jobs, it has been confirmed.

The HS2 rolling stock depot will be built at Gateway 45 near the M1 rather than in the village of Crofton, Wakefield, as previously proposed.

Confirming the plan, Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said the depot would be a hub for training future engineers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
Something that has always mystified me. Why is there no northern junction for HS2 towards from York direction, at that site? In other words, why isn't it a triangle junction? Anyone know?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Something that has always mystified me. Why is there no northern junction for HS2 towards from York direction, at that site? In other words, why isn't it a triangle junction? Anyone know?
Because HS2's remit was trains from London and Birmingham to Leeds and beyond but as separate workings. And there's no point in having a train use the high speed line from Leeds for a short distance by an indirect route to somewhere near Church Fenton when the existing route is probably quicker.

NPR potentially changes all that. Options might include a connection off HS2 south of Leeds so trains from Sheffield and possibly elsewhere can enter the existing station, and four-tracking eastwards so trains from Sheffield or Manchester can continue towards Hull or York.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Because HS2's remit was trains from London and Birmingham to Leeds and beyond but as separate workings. And there's no point in having a train use the high speed line from Leeds for a short distance by an indirect route to somewhere near Church Fenton when the existing route is probably quicker.

NPR potentially changes all that. Options might include a connection off HS2 south of Leeds so trains from Sheffield and possibly elsewhere can enter the existing station, and four-tracking eastwards so trains from Sheffield or Manchester can continue towards Hull or York.

And then by using that spur, a train from York into Leeds couldn't then continue on anywhere (e.g. Manchester), as present services do.

achmelvic

Wasn't that area already designated for building a new Arena or something?

Not that I'm aware off, Gateway 45 is the area off Junction 45 of the M1 which is gradually being developed, there is the new bus-based Park and Ride to Leeds city centre there, large Amazon depot plus some other huge warehouses plus work has just started on a new motorway service station at the opposite side of the motorway junction.

I'm assuming the location is to the south of the sewage works. The thing that's confusing me is the redevelopment area is north of the river Aire and canal whilst the route of HS2 following the existing railway to the south of them. I assume we're looking at a bridge over which might be a tight squeeze what with the M1 being in the way and the general geography. It's unlikely they'll get the space for a triangle junctions providing access to the depot from both Leeds and HS2 heading south so will have to reverse in or out. I would assume it will have south facing access only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.