• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds - Deptford Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Hello

Looking to do Leeds to Deptford Bridge.

I am planning to do Leeds - Kings Cross, Thameslink across London and then another service to Greenwich. Once I get there, I will hop on to the DLR to Deptford Bridge.

Is this the best way of doing it and is a Leeds - London Zone 1-3 valid?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Hello

I am planning to do Leeds - Kings Cross, Thameslink across London and then another service to Greenwich. Once I get there, I will hop on to the DLR to Deptford Bridge.

Thank you

If you're returning on the same day, it's probably easiest for you to buy a Leeds to Zone U123* LONDN ticket, which covers the journey you have described. It's not a Travelcard however, so it's not valid on the local buses.

John @ home

Established Member

If you're returning on the same day, it's probably easiest for you to buy a Leeds to Zone U123* LONDN ticket, which covers the journey you have described.
I have a number of issues here:
  • I'm not sure that it's valid.
    A Leeds - Zone U123* Londn route + Any Permitted ticket allows travel by rail from Leeds to a London Terminals station by any permitted route, then travel from there by Underground and/or DLR to any individual Underground or DLR station in Zones 1, 2 or 3. It also allows travel by National Rail to be included in the leg from the London Terminal to the destination where inter-available on both Underground and National Rail. For example, St Pancras - London Bridge by National Rail is inter-available with Kings X - London Bridge by Underground. But I'm not sure that travel by National Rail is allowed where it's not an inter-available route, and I think that restriction would apply to the London Bridge - Greenwich National Rail part of bluenoxid's journey. It would, however, be valid if bluenoxid went from the London Terminal to Greenwich DLR (or Deptford Bridge DLR) wholly by Underground, inter-available National Rail and DLR. See Travelling to, from and via London.
  • It is often not the cheapest alternative, so it may not be the best way of doing it.
    If you have an Oyster card, a ticket to London Terminals then using Oyster within London can be cheaper.
  • I don't think it makes any difference whether bluenoxid is returning the same day or not.

ji459

Deptford NR station is a few minutes' walk from Deptford Bridge DLR station. If you're changing onto the DLR at Greenwich, you'll go through Deptford NR station on the way to Greenwich. Maybe it would be easier (and cheaper?) to just get off there?

bluenoxid

Established Member
This could be a tough one to crack then. I am staying at the new Premier Inn for two nights due to work commitments. I just want to keep costs low but not get stuffed having to try to get on to DLR out of London around 6pm at night. The main thing is that I want to reduce the walk because the suitcase will not like it.

Cheers for your help though guys

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm not sure what you mean by not get stuffed having to try to get on to DLR out of London around 6pm at night? The most sensible route from Kings Cross to Deptford Bridge is Northern Line to Bank then DLR direct to Deptford Bridge. As the DLR starts at Bank you should have no problems getting a seat, and by the time it gets to Deptford Bridge it is almost at the end of the line so shouldn't be too difficult to get off either. Also, Deptford Bridge is one of a number of dual-zoned stations in both 2 and 3, but you never actually go into zone 3, so you would only need a ticket to London U12.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm not sure what you mean by not get stuffed having to try to get on to DLR out of London around 6pm at night? The most sensible route from Kings Cross to Deptford Bridge is Northern Line to Bank then DLR direct to Deptford Bridge. As the DLR starts at Bank you should have no problems getting a seat, and by the time it gets to Deptford Bridge it is almost at the end of the line so shouldn't be too difficult to get off either. Also, Deptford Bridge is one of a number of dual-zoned stations in both 2 and 3, but you never actually go into zone 3, so you would only need a ticket to London U12.

Surely Bank station will be packed with commuters at that time of the evening on a weekday?

bluenoxid

Established Member

Bank, 6pm, Yorkshireman made unpopular by wheelie bag capable of shifting the bodies gets on to train. I just want the easiest and quickest route that also does not leave me shafted by someone who decides to Penalty fare me because of some rule that has been created by the lovely people who seem to live on making life a bit more awkward.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Bank, 6pm, Yorkshireman made unpopular by wheelie bag capable of shifting the bodies gets on to train. I just want the easiest and quickest route that also does not leave me shafted by someone who decides to Penalty fare me because of some rule that has been created by the lovely people who seem to live on making life a bit more awkward.

Fare enough, but I'd say that most places in Central London at 6pm will be similar. At least at Bank you will be getting on an empty train. A Leeds to London zone U12 is 100% valid for the journey I'm suggesting so you will not get penalty fared. If you really want to avoid crowd problems then you'll have to travel at a different time.

Status
Not open for further replies.