• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds - Essex

Status
Not open for further replies.

mardybum

I want to go from Leeds to either Witham or Colchester on 9th April to arrive in Essex at around 17.30 onwards. I usually go via Peterborough as I arent too sure about going on the tube on my own in london. I have a 16-25 railcard but cant find a single for less than £33.

I also want to return on the 14th April departing Colchester/Witham approx 07.30.

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's short notice - all the cheap tickets have probably all sold out!

via London is a more sensible route, and I wouldn't worry about the tube. King's Cross to Liverpool St is actually a cut-and-cover sub-surface railway that is only just below the ground, it's not actually a tube. You go in much deeper tunnels on National Rail especially if you do Leeds-Manchester! You can't get lost on that line either as all trains eastbound from King's Cross go to Liverpool St.

mardybum

Thanks, does it work out much cheaper to go via london rather than peterborough?

Am just wondering whether theres going to be any cheaper tickets than i have found, splitting at peterborough reduces the cost slightly but just wondering if there are any other routes i could take, i have all day to get there and all day to get back so its not really a problem.

Thanks for the fast responses :)

mathmo

Via London you can get Advance singles for £25.80 (to Witham) or £26.60 (to Colchester) on nationalexpresseastcoast.com - they have a 20% discount until Monday so buy quickly if that's what you want!

There is a £20.85 ticket to Colchester via Peterborough on the 9 April arriving at 17.48 which may be exactly what you're looking for, though you'd have to leave a lot later to get that price on the return. Either way, if you want an Advance ticket then I'd buy it ASAP.

OwlMan

Established Member
THe cheapest fares I can find nearest to your timesare as below - (these are from National Express East Coast - as they have 20% discount on on-line tickets at present (on NXEC only). If you want to book these do so quickly as the price will increase

Peter

Outward journey9 Apr 2009 Return journey14 Apr 2009
Depart:
Leeds, 16:05

Change at:
Peterborough arr. 17:27dep. 17:46Ely arr. 18:28dep. 18:39
Arrive:
Cambridge, 18:57

Changes: 2 Duration: 2h 52m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passengers
1 Adult

Railcards
1 16-25 Railcard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NXEC Advance£18.55

Valid only on your chosen service. Not refundable. Changeable prior to date of travel for a fee.

terms and conditions Depart:
Cambridge, 10:34

Change at:
Ely arr. 10:49dep. 10:59Peterborough arr. 11:38dep. 11:56
Arrive:
Leeds, 13:41

Changes: 2 Duration: 3h 7m

Passengers
1 Adult

Railcards
1 16-25 Railcard

NXEC Advance£18.55

Valid only on your chosen service. Not refundable. Changeable prior to date of travel for a fee.

terms and conditions
* online discount * online discount

Total: £37.10

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tip: it can help to specify 'via Kelvedon' if going to Colchester, for good deals via London.

The reason for this is it gives you a 'suggested service'to/from Liverpool St that is non-reservable, that means you can indisputably get any train on that portion and the only part that can sell out is the NXEC leg.

Metrocammel and Nick W regularly make this journey.

mardybum

Sorry im not sure how to quote!

Mathmo - thats fantastic, thanks, i will definately book that now as i dont really want to pay more and am a bit reluctant to go via london. The way back is a bit tricky but i might be able to depart after 12 so that would make it cheaper i imagine...thats great though, thanks!

Collybs - my departure station isnt cambridge but i will definately look into changing at ely and/or cambs for the way back and in the future!

Thanks to everyone for replying really quickly! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yorkie - just seen your reply. I am will check prices by putting in via Kelvedon too, thanks for the tip. I shouldnt really be so reluctant to go via london but its just that ive never been on the tube before and not really sure how it all works :oops:

thanks though, i will give that a check too

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can get it down to 20.85. There are some fares at £16 and £12 but not at the times you want to travel as these have all sold out.

The journey avoiding London is tediously slow, but it looks like you can get it £6 cheaper if the times suit.

mardybum

Could i just ask what times the £12 and £16 journeys are and where they go via?

Would it make it easier to split my ticket are various points in the journey?

It is rather slow but i dont really mind that if i can get a cheapish ticket!

Thanks again.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Late journeys, arriving 2330ish IIRC. Just take a look at the NXEC site and you can click 'later trains'/'earlier trains' and it gives you more options.

Splitting at PBO may help, as there are tickets from PBO-COL/WTM for as little as £3.95 on some trains e.g. 1546, 1746 and 1946 from PBO-COL on 9th.

Most trains are available at £13.55 from LDS-PBO on the 9th.

It's similar coming back, even the 07:41 train (on which Off Peak tickets are not valid) has cheap tickets available for it, however I don't think you can get a railcard discount on that due to the 10:00 minimum fare rule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.