• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds-Grantham via Selby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The shortest route is always valid - but this isn't.
Direct trains are always valid - but there aren't any via Selby.

So we need to check the Routeing Guide (RG):

http://www.atoc.org/rsp/Routeing_Guide/

Leeds Group and Grantham are both Routeing Points (RPs). This means we can go straight to the maps, there is no need to do a fares check to determine suitable RPs.

Permitted map combinations between Leeds Group and Grantham are listed here and are as follows:-

DL+EE
ER
ER+LS
PS+SY

The maps can be seen here

ER+LS allows travel via York & Selby.

I can't see a map combination that allows travel via South Milford, but take a look and see if I've missed something.

So I can conclude the RG definitely allows travel via Selby but I can't be sure it allows travel between Micklefield and Selby.

David

Established Member
Yes it is valid, as this query came up not so long back, and I checked then.

clagmonster

Established Member
ER+LS allows travel via York & Selby.

I can't see a map combination that allows travel via South Milford, but take a look and see if I've missed something.

So I can conclude the RG definitely allows travel via Selby but I can't be sure it allows travel between Micklefield and Selby.
If the York-Selby train travels via Church Fenton, then it wouldn't be a valid route as you would be doubling back through Ulleskelf and Church Fenton. This would only be valid on trains taking the ECML to Hambleton North Jn. Note that some trains which run non stop from York-Selby still go via Church Fenton.

glynn80

Established Member
Yes it is valid, as this query came up not so long back, and I checked then.

I have looked through all four map combinations (DL+EE, ER, ER+LS & PS+SY), none of which permits Leeds to Selby via South Milford and then Selby to Grantham via Doncaster.

It is very possible it was removed in one of the recent updates to the guide (last update took place on 30/11/09).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ATOC have been messing about with the maps, removing perfectly valid logical and sensible routes, rendering them invalid. Yet they have made totally bizarre routes valid and introduced anomalies.

The people who work on the RG are clearly incompetent.

Sadly the DfT are not doing a good enough job in checking the RG changes make sense before ratifying them. Passenger Focus also have a say, but it appears they lack the expertise to do so?

I wonder if ATOC actually look at the maps they produce? Does it make sense that York-Doncaster is no longer valid via Leeds, but Leeds-Doncaster is now valid via York? Surely that makes no sense whatsoever. But this is ATOC we're talking about, so that's hardly surprising.

David

Established Member
Other routing guide anomalies ....

Scunthorpe - Lancaster is valid via Edinburgh where as Scunthorpe - Preston or Carlisle isn't.

Scunthorpe - Lancaster is valid via Derby, but tickets to Carlisle or Preston are not. (A further twist is that the SCU - LAN is valid via Nottingham and Grantham as well, unlike CAR and PRE tickets.)

Status
Not open for further replies.