• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Holbeck Depot- Current Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Can anyone comment on what the current goings on are at this depot please? It's owned by RTS infrastructure apparently but their description of the purpose of the depot is very vague.

Wikipedia states that the 333's were refurbished here between 2018 and Jan 2020, but what happens there now these are complete? I pass the depot when I get the train to Leeds and there are normally a number of diesel units present, is one of the locations where they are refurbished too?

It seems ideally located to be reinstated as a depot or at least a more convenient stabling point for Northern units, to reduce congestion on the two track railway East of Leeds and in the platforms at Leeds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is it no longer used for stabling during the day due to the reduced timetable? Pre-2020 there was a daily (Mon-Fri) ECS of a 144 that ran from there at around 1630 to Huddersfield to form the extra Penistone line service. Not sure if this still ran between January 2020 and lockdown starting in March.

Iskra

Established Member
Is it no longer used for stabling during the day due to the reduced timetable? Pre-2020 there was a daily (Mon-Fri) ECS of a 144 that ran from there at around 1630 to Huddersfield to form the extra Penistone line service. Not sure if this still ran between January 2020 and lockdown starting in March.
Ah, that would explain the frequent presence of a 144 stabled there before they were withdrawn, I had assumed they were there for some sort of maintenance. Thanks for that snippet.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ah, that would explain the frequent presence of a 144 stabled there before they were withdrawn, I had assumed they were there for some sort of maintenance. Thanks for that snippet.
It ran out via Woodlesford, Normanton and Wakefield, so stabling it at Holbeck meant it didn't have to find a path through the station and throat at the start of the evening peak.

northernchris

Established Member
Northern do use Holbeck for overnight stabling and servicing, and the 3 car 158s are receiving their digital mods there

Iskra

Established Member
It ran out via Woodlesford, Normanton and Wakefield, so stabling it at Holbeck meant it didn't have to find a path through the station and throat at the start of the evening peak.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Come to think of it, I do think some late night Sheffield services are probably formed from units off there as they appear Empty Stock from that direction.
Northern do use Holbeck for overnight stabling and servicing, and the 3 car 158s are receiving their digital mods there
Ah, thanks for the information. Is that because Neville Hill is full or just for convenience? Do you think this will change with EMR HST's departing Neville Hill and potentially freeing up space?

northernchris

Established Member
Ah, thanks for the information. Is that because Neville Hill is full or just for convenience? Do you think this will change with EMR HST's departing Neville Hill and potentially freeing up space?

I believe it's because Neville Hill is full. Northern are upgrading Hull Botanic Gardens which will then become home to the 155 and 170 fleets to relieve pressure on Neville Hill, so I suspect long term the depot is expected to be busy

Iskra

Established Member
I believe it's because Neville Hill is full. Northern are upgrading Hull Botanic Gardens which will then become home to the 155 and 170 fleets to relieve pressure on Neville Hill, so I suspect long term the depot is expected to be busy

Pit_buzzer

Looking at realtime trains for today there were 10 empty northern units departed for a variety of destinations between 05.00 and 10.00, seems to have quite a lot of use

Neptune

Established Member
Holbeck has been used for around 10 years by Northern (maybe even longer, I can’t remember when I signed it in but I was one of the first). The am Goole empties has been a regular throughout that time. 4 conductor links at Leeds sign the depot meaning they don’t have to shunt round to Leeds station to pick the conductor up when heading out towards Woodlesford.

Trains are also washed and fuelled there as well as the aforementioned refurbishment contracts.

alexl92

Established Member
I was under the impression that the 155 fleet operated exclusively around Leeds as they're used interchangeably with the 2-car 150s and 158s (and formerly the 142/144s) in Northern's random unit generator - is that no longer the case? Have they been moved to East Yorkshire services?

Pit_buzzer

The 155s have been congregating around Hull for about 2 years , very unusual to see them on their former duties around Leeds now. They still appear in Leeds though on the Hull to Halifax (Covid permitting)

Neptune

Established Member
The 155’s can still be seen around Leeds mainly at the extremes of the day to get to/from Neville Hill but they are principally based on East Yorkshire services and will be transferred to BG along with the 170’s later this year once the depot upgrade is complete.

Elecman

Established Member
Holbeck has been used for around 10 years by Northern (maybe even longer, I can’t remember when I signed it in but I was one of the first). The am Goole empties has been a regular throughout that time. 4 conductor links at Leeds sign the depot meaning they don’t have to shunt round to Leeds station to pick the conductor up when heading out towards Woodlesford.

Trains are also washed and fuelled there as well as the aforementioned refurbishment contracts.
That would be after the collapse off Jarvis/Fastline as it was a core depot of Jarvis

Status
Not open for further replies.