• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds - Hudds - Manc Transpennine Platform Lengthening

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMIFlyer

Some of you may have noticed that the platform lengthening project (up to 4x23m) on the route from Leeds to Man Picc via Huddersfield has now begun.

The works are most noticeable currently at Slaithwaite and Marsden.

No info as of yet about what to do regarding the lack of step free access, particularly at Marsden.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
So given those services will be taken over by 3x23m Trains the benefit of that is what exactly?

lejog

Established Member
Planning applications for these have been diiscussed in the Northern Stations improvements thread. Marsden and Slaithwaite are to be extended to 100m and Mirfield 120. The planning application for Marsden shows a 5×20m Northern 150 alongside the platform!

Assuming SDO is (to be) fitted to the 185s, it begs the question whether 6 car services on the Manchester to Leeds stopper will bave the back carriages unavailable at most of the stations. There aren't many 140m platforms around.

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern will continue to run limited peak time services between Manchester and Huddersfield so a 5 car 150 stopping at Marsden is possible.

SDO is being fitted to the 185s that are remaining at TPE. Someone previously reported some stations have already had some work done in preparation for that. 100m would be long enough for one 185 to have all doors open and another to have doors open on the front carriage and possibly one of the sets of doors on the middle carriage.

lejog

Established Member
Yes this Huddersfield Examiner article implies the 100m platforms were requested by Northern not TPE.
In the planning documents Network Rail say: “As part of the timetable improvements to be introduced in Winter 2018/9 Northern are seeking to increase the number of coaches on local services to two sets of class 150 diesel multiple units and to cater for this increased length of train it is necessary to lengthen the current platforms by varying degrees.”

nr758123

Some of you may have noticed that the platform lengthening project (up to 4x23m) on the route from Leeds to Man Picc via Huddersfield has now begun.

The works are most noticeable currently at Slaithwaite and Marsden.

No info as of yet about what to do regarding the lack of step free access, particularly at Marsden.

No plans to provide or improve disabled access in association with platform lengthening. Given that almost all westbound services at Marsden will use platform 2, disabled access will be going down from 50% to 0%.

Although in theory there’s disabled access to both platforms at Slaithwaite, in reality the cobbled access ramp to the westbound platform means that disabled access is only available to someone being dropped off and collected by car.

It looks like the minimum necessary is being done to accommodate the longer trains from the timetable change – 4 carriage 150s for Northern’s peak extras (though with their rolling stock shortage that’s not a given), and enough for SDO on the (initially only three) TPE services to operate with 6 carriages.

Slightly informed guess is that the Transpennine Route Upgrade options could include rebuilding both stations, and there’s little point sorting out disabled access to something which may only be temporary.

Yes this Huddersfield Examiner article implies the 100m platforms were requested by Northern not TPE.

Alas, the Examiner is not exactly what might be described as a reliable source of information.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
There is no sdo.

The plan is to run 6 cars, using long train short platform, and local doors using 2 guards.

Its a mess, and I cant wait to see the first ale train evening service.

BMIFlyer

There is no sdo.

The plan is to run 6 cars, using long train short platform, and local doors using 2 guards.

Its a mess, and I cant wait to see the first ale train evening service.

The TPE plan is for a 6 car train fitted with ASDO that enables the first 4 coaches to be door released, allowing passengers to board both units.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
The TPE plan is for a 6 car train fitted with ASDO that enables the first 4 coaches to be door released, allowing passengers to board both units.

I know the person doing the risk assessments and planning.

Its as I put.

Or should I clarify. The people in charge of introducing said services have been into the depot asking how it could be done, and have given my inital post as how the method of work is being done.

To the astonishment of all of us who signed the route and have seen the utter carnage at a weekend.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

Except that ASDO equipment isn't yet installed and won't be till much later in the year allegedly.

nr758123

Not even able to quote from Network Rail planning documents correctly?

The Examiner even struggles sometime with that well-known journalistic technique called "cut-and-paste".

It seems to have got worse under the newish editor, who (I kid you not, you couldn't make it up), one Wayne Ankers.

BMIFlyer

Its as I put.

Or should I clarify. The people in charge of introducing said services have been into the depot asking how it could be done, and have given my inital post as how the method of work is being done.

To the astonishment of all of us who signed the route and have seen the utter carnage at a weekend.

Fair enough, but I can't see how it would work seeing as you can't have 2 local doors in operation at the same time...

The best solution in the meantime would be door isolation on the rear 2 coaches.

Established Member

Its as I put.

Sounds a bit cumbersome to say the least, how many of the 'Local' station platforms are long enough to take a 6x23m train?

Kind of confirms my view that the new timetable is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.