• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds/Ilkley/Bradford/Skipton services

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddington

I was wondering if anyone in the know can explain how the diagrams work on these routes?

I am trying to trace where each unit goes during a day of service, based on planned platform allocations as that is the only information I have access to, but it seems like they swap around between the routes almost at random.

I would have thought it would be simpler to timetable if each unit stuck to a single route all day but maybe there are other factors I haven't considered?

Basically I want to see if it is possible for me to start at Leeds and end up at Skipton going via Ilkley and Bradford without getting off a train, or vice versa.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNERman

Established Member
Afternoon,

From experience, at Skipton a from Leeds tends to form a to Leeds, and same with the Bradfords.

At Bradford, and I may be wrong, they mostly swap around - a from Ilkley tends to form a Skipton, a from Skipton tends to form a Leeds, and a from Leeds forms an Ilkley.

As for what happens at Leeds and Ilkley, not something I'm aware of unfortunately.

Hope that's of use.

Crossover

Established Member
I have a feeling Bradford Forster Square is where most of the interworkings, as it were, take place. Just looking at RTT for 13:00-14:00, going from platform allocations:
1307 ex Leeds forms an Ilkley (1316)
1311 ex Skipton forms a Leeds (1330)
1323 ex Ilkley forms a Skipton (1341)
This looks to repeat in the next half hour block

I suspect part of the reason they don't stay to the same routes is the timings and turnaround (and therefore platform space). For example, the xx10 ex Skipton would need to form an xx11 or xx41 back the same way which isn't an economical use of resources (one far too tight and the other leaves the set idle for quite a while)

Whisky Papa

Ilkley - Bradford Forster Sqaure trains also need to be interworked at one end or the other so they can be crewed easily, otherwise crews would have to travel out passenger from Leeds. From memory, the pattern Crossover suggests above looks right to me.

TrainTube

Does anyone know which diagrams between Leeds and Bradford/Ilkley/Skipton the 321/322s run? Looking to bash them before they go out of service.

xotGD

Established Member
Does anyone know which diagrams between Leeds and Bradford/Ilkley/Skipton the 321/322s run? Looking to bash them before they go out of service.
2H14 0656 Leeds to Skipton is fairly solid 321/2. You should be able trace the rest of the (theoretical!) diagram. Alternatively, fester in Leeds from 16:00 and at least a couple should be working in the evening peak.

darloscott

Theres one that comes from Doncaster in morning peak before working onto the triangle, so that's always a 321 which can be worked out fairly easily.

Veteran Member
I have a feeling Bradford Forster Square is where most of the interworkings, as it were, take place. Just looking at RTT for 13:00-14:00, going from platform allocations:
1307 ex Leeds forms an Ilkley (1316)
1311 ex Skipton forms a Leeds (1330)
1323 ex Ilkley forms a Skipton (1341)
This looks to repeat in the next half hour block

I suspect part of the reason they don't stay to the same routes is the timings and turnaround (and therefore platform space). For example, the xx10 ex Skipton would need to form an xx11 or xx41 back the same way which isn't an economical use of resources (one far too tight and the other leaves the set idle for quite a while)
At Leeds, offpeak basically Bradford forms Ilkley, Skipton forms Bradford, Ilkley forms Skipton - but units are often stepped back or swapped from Neville Hill.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Before the wires went up there were no Leeds to Bradford FS services (other than the once-a-day from London) and units would run Leeds - Ilkley - Bradford - Skipton - Leeds and v.v.

Adam0984

The general daytime diagram is
L B I B S B L I L S L

L - Leeds
B - Bradford FS
I - Ilkley
S - Skipton

Obviously in the peaks and evening it goes slightly different

As for 321s on the triangle the 0600 Leeds to Ilkley and back, 0723 Leeds to Skipton, 0815 Skipton to Bradford, 0900 Bradford to Leeds, 0932 Leeds to Ilkley, 1010 Ilkley to Leeds

0638 Leeds to Ilkley to Bradford to Skipton
0656 Leeds to Skipton
0934 S B L
1334 S B L
1812 L B I B S L
1633 L I L I B S B S
1503 L I L S L
1718 Leeds to Skipton
1004 S B L
1226 L S L
0854 L S L
1103 L I L

That’s just the ones from Leeds crew diagrams but should be all of the 32Xs if you trace back and forward via RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.