• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds in the early 1900s…

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Suddenly realised today that I really should know the amswer to this but I don’t… or if I do, I’ve forgotten. Which railway company (or companies) operated the majority of services into and around Leeds between say, 1900 - 1923? And post-1923 was it a fairly even balance between LNER and LMS or was it mainly LNER?
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
I think Leeds was fairly evenly divided between companies, both pre- and post-grouping, there was no dominant one. Great Northern, North Eastern (LNER) and Midland and LNWR (LMS) all seem somewhat equal among themselves. A bit of a surprise is the Lancashire & Yorkshire did not serve Leeds directly, although they had some running powers into there.

Veteran Member
A bit of a surprise is the Lancashire & Yorkshire did not serve Leeds directly, although they had some running powers into there.
...because they had the Calder Valley route which ran further south via Wakefield.

6Gman

Established Member
I think Leeds was fairly evenly divided between companies, both pre- and post-grouping, there was no dominant one. Great Northern, North Eastern (LNER) and Midland and LNWR (LMS) all seem somewhat equal among themselves. A bit of a surprise is the Lancashire & Yorkshire did not serve Leeds directly, although they had some running powers into there.
Judging by the relative size of their loco depots I would say it was NER; MR; GN; L&NW in that order. The L&Y had no loco depot in Leeds itself I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.