• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds & Liverpool Canal Walk.......Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicshaw

Hi,

In near future I am planning a Leeds & Liverpool Canal walk. I am looking at a return journey each day from the stations alongside the canal so maybe a weekly pass is my best option ??

I am thinking of a walk from Blackburn to Leeds first and then do the rest later on.

Can anyone advise best and cheapest option please ?? Can I buy weekly pass where a route goes alongside the canal ?? I need to get off stations near the canal and get on for my retun journey.

I can see a route that goes via burnley BUT that route doesn't go alongside the canal.

Any help please ??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

magicshaw

From Blackburn.

Getting from Preston to Blackburn first :)

Here are details of each walk I'm thinking of...

Blackburn (Eanam Wharf) To Church.

Church to Burnley Wharf.

Burnley Wharf to Foulridge.

Foulridge Wharf To Gargrave.

Gargrave To Skipton (Springs Branch).

Skipton (Springs Branch) To Bingley 5 Rise.

Bingley 5 Rise To Rodley 10 Miles.

Rodley To Leeds.

I am hoping to do a 10 mile walk each day. I recon the train from Blackpool to Colne is handy but Colne is the last stop.

The canal goes alongside that route.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
From Blackburn.

Church to Burnley Wharf.

Rodley To Leeds.

I am hoping to do a 10 mile walk each day. I recon the train from Blackpool to Colne is handy but Colne is the last stop.

Thanks.

Are you getting back to Preston each day?

Two Rovers cover the area:
North Country Rover - valid four days out of seven - you choose the four days by writing the dates in a box on the rail ticket.

North West Rover - four days in seven version and a seven day version.

Full details available on the Northern website.

There are reasonable bus services to all of the places listed (don't know about Rodley), Gargarve probably being the least served with an hourly daytime service. With the exception of Gargarve, I think all are served by Transdev. The bus journey would be long, you could consider a combination of a weekly season from Preston to, say Colne or Burnley and then add the bus for the final few miles.

An easy way to check individual daily fares would be through www.brfares.com. You can look up the fares with the faff of having to specify dates and times.

Last edited:

lejog

Established Member
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal runs close to the Blackburn to Colne line then theres a gap in the railway before then running close to the Gargrave to Leeds line. The X43 bus provides a good connection between Colne and Foulridge/Barnoldswick if you finish a day in that gap.

The Freedom of the North West 7 Day Rover will take give you travel along both lines and back to Preston from Yorkshire via Leeds and Hebden Bridge/ or Lancaster / or even Carlisle(!) .. Cost £87 (£57 for railcard holders), travel after 8.45 Monday to Friday.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Skipton is difficult to access from Blackburn but has a direct bus from Preston (X80/180/280). Gargrave can only be accessed via Skipton or (infrequently) from Preston via Lancaster. On Sundays the Dalesrail train provides a direct service BBN-Hellifield which would be handy.

I think Transdev will do a day rover and possibly a weekly? As Baxenden Bank says, they cover most of the bases (though I would draw the line at coming home from Leeds by bus!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From Blackburn.

Church to Burnley Wharf.

Rodley To Leeds.

Thanks.
This is what you are walking but we'd need to know what train journeys you are planning to make before we can suggest what tickets you require.

I have actually helped someone get tickets for the walk in the opposite direction stating at various places en route. But there is far too little info to give any meaningful advice.

Polarbear

Established Member
Ive walked all of the Leeds - Liverpool canal in the past, and I tended to use buses mainly to get between my start & finish points. Transdev certainly do a day ticket at £9.00 which will cover a lot of the areas you're proposing to walk.

Bear in mind the Preston to Skipton bus (service 280/X80) is now operated by Preston Bus & would require a separate ticket.

Enjoy the walk! It's a lovely one.

magicshaw

Thanks very much for the input folks.

The bus journey would be long, you could consider a combination of a weekly season from Preston to, say Colne or Burnley and then add the bus for the final few miles.

That was the type of option I was looking at. a complete bus journey would be long after many a miles of walking.

Transdev do a goldrider, don't they ??

lejog

Established Member
Thanks very much for the input folks.

That was the type of option I was looking at. a complete bus journey would be long after many a miles of walking.

Transdev do a goldrider, don't they ??

Im not aware of a weekly Transdev ticket (which doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist!) The £9 Dayrider ticket will give you access to all Transdev services including Burnley Bus Colne to Skipton, Burnley Bus Colne to Keighley and Keighley Bus Keighley to Leeds which would get you to all your destinations east of Colne (apart from Gargrave) but the much cheaper £4.00 KDay ticket (£4.90 before 9.30) will give you all the above except between Colne and Barnoldswick on the way to Skipton.

If its possible that you could change your schedule to walk from Barnoldswick to Skipton in one day, it would save extra bus/train journeys to from Gargrave/Skipton.

magicshaw

Im not aware of a weekly Transdev ticket (which doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist!) The £9 Dayrider ticket will give you access to all Transdev services including Burnley

Here is the detail of gold pass

http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/fare...ejourneysoveradayaweekamonthandlonger_44.html

If its possible that you could change your schedule to walk from Barnoldswick to Skipton in one day, it would save extra bus/train journeys to from Gargrave/Skipton.

The schedule I listed above is very much flexible for me but I not looking for more than 12 miles per day.

That is like four hour walk non stop already.

Would anyone know miles per trip if I did the wallk in following way ??

Blackburn to Clayton-le-Moors.

Accrington, Burnley and Nelson.

Nelson to East Marton.

East Marton to Skipton.

Skipton to Saltaire.

Saltaire to Leeds.

Last edited:

Veteran Member

Nelson to East Marton.

East Marton to Skipton.

Skipton to Saltaire.

Saltaire to Leeds.

This site looks useful: http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/llc/canal_cycling_guide.html

Using East Marton as an access point is clever, rather than Gargrave, though don't miss the last bus home by spending too long in the Cross Keys!
However you are committing to 29 miles Skipton to Leeds in 2 days - do you want that, especially with the long access journeys?
Blackburn to Clayton-le-Moors is probably the shortest at about 9 miles, depending which bridge you choose.
Not sure where halfway from CLM to East Marton is, but Brierfield station might be an easy option.

Polarbear

Established Member
Here is the detail of gold pass

http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/fare...ejourneysoveradayaweekamonthandlonger_44.html

The schedule I listed above is very much flexible for me but I not looking for more than 12 miles per day.

That is like four hour walk non stop already.

Nelson to East Marton.

East Marton to Skipton.

Skipton to Saltaire.

Saltaire to Leeds.

I'd recommend picking up one of the guide books produced by Nicholson http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholson_Guides. They show distances along each canal along with lots of useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.