• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station - Coffee Upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xc170

Greggs and McDonalds coffee would beat Starbucks, Costa and CafeNero in a blind taste test. For what its worth my rankings are Greggs, McDonalds, Cafe Nero, Starbucks, Costa. (Lattes, not Americanos)

Never had a nice coffee from McDonalds, drinkable at best, Greggs is okay for the price.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rich r

KFC is open again but with 'wooden doors' instead of glass so not quite sure what they're up to there, didn't look like they had knocked anything through to next door anyway

Could be as simple as the glass doors got broken I guess.

Crossover

Established Member
I have to say, I cannot recall the "other" WH Smith at Leeds - any time I have wanted to look at WHS, I have gone to the one on the main concourse!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have to say, I cannot recall the "other" WH Smith at Leeds - any time I have wanted to look at WHS, I have gone to the one on the main concourse!

I have, on occasion managed to find copies of 'Modern Railways' there when they weren't in the main one.

rich r

The lack of tables outside marked it out as something different from the other units on that side. I've popped in occasionally to get a bag of crisps or packet of sweets without having to negotiate the narrow aisles in Sainsbury's across the way.

xotGD

Established Member
Well it looks like the old Starbucks is going to become....

...a new Starbucks.

Fun while it lasted.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Greggs and McDonalds coffee would beat Starbucks, Costa and CafeNero in a blind taste test. For what its worth my rankings are Greggs, McDonalds, Cafe Nero, Starbucks, Costa. (Lattes, not Americanos)

I would put Mc Donalds & Greggs at the bottom of the pile tbh. Nothing beats the manual expresso machine

My list goes: Artisan coffee shop (like Coffee #1 or Artigiano) then Pret, Caffe Nero, Starbucks, Costa & then cheap bean to cup stuff like Mc Donalds, Greggs etc and right at the bottom is lukewarm instant from the trolley.

sheff1

Established Member
The loss of Starbucks on the bridge is a shame for anyone who is just interchanging though.

Not for me it isn't. I tried a cup there when it first opened and the dishwater I was presented with was undrinkable. Since then I have always risked the "reject passback" lottery and gone through to the concourse.

Edit: It now seems you have not lost Starbucks, so everyone is happy :)

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not for me it isn't. I tried a cup there when it first opened and the dishwater I was presented with was undrinkable. Since then I have always risked the "reject passback" lottery and gone through to the concourse.

Edit: It now seems you have not lost Starbucks, so everyone is happy :)
Ok, I'll rephrase that...

The loss of Starbucks on the bridge would be a disappointment to ME! :)

Though as I said I agree with the prevailing forum opinion that the coffee at Starbucks is vile, and an insult to the names of both Huddersfield Town legend Phil Starbuck and fictional character Kara "Starbuck" Thrace*.

(*= other names also available)

boyaloud

Annoying how Leeds station has TWO Starbucks and at Manchester Picc we now have none! Also, Wetherspoon, Mcdonald's and KFC all of which we don't have. I know on the whole we have more up/mid-market chains but I love those four chains!

boyaloud

What the White Rose......?? ;)

Seriously though, it could do with a rebrand. I only use it occasionally because they do (quietly) still accept Bite Cards, and there isn't a queue 50 deep of people wanting a super skinny latte or whatever when all you want is a pint as is often the case in 'Spoons. Either that or there are 10 staff moving boxes around in the back with only 2 on the bar serving the dozens of people waiting...
You do know for around 6 months now, all Wetherspoons have had coffee machines, so everyone is just given an empty cup to self-dispense, thus cutting down waiting times a lot. Also do you know for 3+ years all branches have been serviced by the Wetherspoon app, you can order while sitting at your table, and drink is brought to you, so you don't have to queue. Also save money on The White Rose. I don't work for them.

Bantamzen

Established Member
You do know for around 6 months now, all Wetherspoons have had coffee machines, so everyone is just given an empty cup to self-dispense, thus cutting down waiting times a lot. Also do you know for 3+ years all branches have been serviced by the Wetherspoon app, you can order while sitting at your table, and drink is brought to you, so you don't have to queue. Also save money on The White Rose. I don't work for them.

To be honest until last night when coincidently my wife told me the same I didn't know that Leeds station had them installed. So that's better for those wanting just an alcoholic drink. I did know about the app, but other Whetherspoons I have been to don't seem to have significant numbers of people using it, most seem to still order at the bar.

boyaloud

I meant for you to use it? I suppose guest ales may be the only thing not available and I know tap water isn't.

stut

Established Member
And they don't ask for your name.

Yes, but that's half the fun of it - see what's the most ridiculous name you can get them to say. Or just go for "Clint" and check the results...

I find it difficult to dislike Costa Coffee, mainly because it tastes of almost nothing. So I don't dislike it, I nothing it. It's a great place for a cup of caffeinated warm milk, I'll give them that.

johntea

Established Member
Just as an experiment I bought a large latte from Delice De France this morning as I wanted a coffee and didn't have time to pass through the barriers, at £3.20 an experiment I won't be repeating! (I probably could have got it for £2.63 with a Bite card and my own cup).

My main issue with it was it wasn't very warm, by the time I sat down on my train from Platform 1B less than 3 minutes later it was just luke warm! Interestingly the cup was just plain white with no branding too, does that mean they can be recycled to an extent?

stut

Established Member
My main issue with it was it wasn't very warm, by the time I sat down on my train from Platform 1B less than 3 minutes later it was just luke warm! Interestingly the cup was just plain white with no branding too, does that mean they can be recycled to an extent?

The recyclability of coffee cups has to do with the interior coating. They normally have a plastic lining (to prevent leakage), and this is bound to the card in a way that makes it very difficult to recycle. Standard recycling procedures can't cope with it (there's a handful of places that can do it now - for pretty marginal gain) so most cups end up getting chucked out.

Costa cups, ironically, have a largely recyclable component (the corrugated cladding) which you could detach from the cup if you wanted. I don't know many who do.

Iskra

Established Member
The recyclability of coffee cups has to do with the interior coating. They normally have a plastic lining (to prevent leakage), and this is bound to the card in a way that makes it very difficult to recycle. Standard recycling procedures can't cope with it (there's a handful of places that can do it now - for pretty marginal gain) so most cups end up getting chucked out.

Costa cups, ironically, have a largely recyclable component (the corrugated cladding) which you could detach from the cup if you wanted. I don't know many who do.

You can return TA cups to Costa for recycling.

An update for this thread: the Costa at Sheffield station is open this morning and it certainly looks a lot better than the previous unit.

The Starbucks at Leeds appears to be staying Starbucks as there are branded advertising hoardings implying it's being refurbished.

johntea

Established Member
The building shed has come down now, the new unit is huge compared to the previous one!

To join the Starbucks v. Everyone Else debate. I prefer Starbucks over Costa by far (I like their blend and find the Costa blend to be bitter but slightly bland), and because I’m Lactose Intolerant, but like a latte, I’m usually confined to the major coffee chains. Greggs will give you Soya to whiten a filter coffee or a tea, but their latte comes out of a machine that uses cows milk.

In fairness to Costa, I did ask for a Soya latte once at one of their railway station express outlets that has a sort of coffee vending machine instead of the full barista setup (their main outlet at the other side of the concourse was closed for refurbishment), the staff were full of profuse apologies, and offered to microwave a cup of soya milk for me to make one, which they did for free. Tasted much the same to be honest.

I’d love to frequent the smaller independent coffee outlets, but far too often I’m simply confronted with a blank stare when I ask for a soya latte.

I’d certainly miss the Glasgow Central Starbucks kiosk if it went the same way. The other benefit to Starbucks at the station is the ability to order my drink as I’m walking to the station and simply pick it up from the counter sometimes without breaking stride.

Doesn’t hurt to have choice in the market.

You can return TA cups to Costa for recycling.

I use a Starbucks Drive-Thru nearly every morning on my way to work, and had something of a conundrum regards their cups being not easily disposed of, and that a reusable one isn’t an easy option at a drive through window. I now remove the parts I can recycle at home (the lid and sleeve) keep the previous days cup and return it to them as they give me my new drink.

Laziness I know. I could just get out the car and go in with a reusable cup, but it’s usually 0610 in the morning and it’s taking all my effort just to be awake, lol.

1D53

Established Member
The former WhSmiths is rumoured to become a Krispy Kreme.

mark-h

SSP changing franchises maybe? (presuming they are all SSP)

SSP does not seem to operate Costa outlets (The SSP Feedback Site is a good way of finding out whether an outlet is run by SSP- click on the "Click here to give us your feedback" link and type in the station/airport/centre/brand name).

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
This morning at Leeds the Delice de France was double staffed to cope with the surge in demand from ex-Starbucks customers. Hopefully these customers have now discovered what coffee ought to taste like. I can't tell what is being built in place of Starbucks.

Lets hope its either a Costa or a Greggs. If its the latter then I won't have to traipe into the city centre for me breakie.

philjo

Established Member
Could do with a branch of Leon at Leeds station. There is one at Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham New Street.

stut

Established Member
The former WhSmiths is rumoured to become a Krispy Kreme.

If you like quite a strong, bitter coffee (and I mean that in a good way, not the burnt bitter way you get when they turn the temperature up too high to try and speed things up) Krispy Kreme aren't half bad, if you can resist their tastily type 2 inducing wares. I find I need to be in the mood...

benbristow

Surprised Subway aren't getting a shoutout here. Love their Cappuccinos. Krispy Kreme decent too.

xotGD

Established Member
Update: The refurbished Starbucks is now up and running. Giant, looming thing of a kiosk, and they have now provided a few stools and benches for folk to sit at. Just a pity that they are still serving the same rank coffee.

Good news for me is that there is no longer a queue at Delice de France!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
To join the Starbucks v. Everyone Else debate. I prefer Starbucks over Costa by far (I like their blend and find the Costa blend to be bitter but slightly bland), and because I’m Lactose Intolerant, but like a latte, I’m usually confined to the major coffee chains. Greggs will give you Soya to whiten a filter coffee or a tea, but their latte comes out of a machine that uses cows milk.

In fairness to Costa, I did ask for a Soya latte once at one of their railway station express outlets that has a sort of coffee vending machine instead of the full barista setup (their main outlet at the other side of the concourse was closed for refurbishment), the staff were full of profuse apologies, and offered to microwave a cup of soya milk for me to make one, which they did for free. Tasted much the same to be honest.

I’d love to frequent the smaller independent coffee outlets, but far too often I’m simply confronted with a blank stare when I ask for a soya latte.

I’d certainly miss the Glasgow Central Starbucks kiosk if it went the same way. The other benefit to Starbucks at the station is the ability to order my drink as I’m walking to the station and simply pick it up from the counter sometimes without breaking stride.

Doesn’t hurt to have choice in the market.

Caffe Nero will do soya with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.