• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
I thought that they were score cards for passengers who were unfortunate enough to go skating on the wet tiled floor of the footbridge during the recent extremely wet weather!

Grumpy

Not seen it reported here, but they are making progress with the works on New Station St. and Bishopsgate

Recent postings with photos on Skyscraper City can be seen here-

YorksLad12

Established Member
Another change the last few days seems to be the splitting of the ticket office into two queues: day sales (as normal) and advance sales. Does that mean the end of the other office? I'd be surprised if not; I was regularly the only person in there when I went to renew my season ticket on a Saturday. Or maybe they just want a rest from all of the work outside...

Andyh82

Established Member
Another change the last few days seems to be the splitting of the ticket office into two queues: day sales (as normal) and advance sales. Does that mean the end of the other office? I'd be surprised if not; I was regularly the only person in there when I went to renew my season ticket on a Saturday. Or maybe they just want a rest from all of the work outside...
Can you actually still get into the travel centre from the outside?

YorksLad12

Established Member
Can you actually still get into the travel centre from the outside?
Not sure; last time I came in via the concourse. In theory, the doors should lead onto the part of the forecourt that hasn't been dug up (yet). If you can't get in that way then it wouldn't be accessible, so that might be why it's done (plus usual discussions regarding busyness of ticket offices).

takno

Established Member
I used to go and do my advance business in New Pudsey rather than deal with the queues in the travel centre. Times have clearly changed.

ASharpe

Two engineers were working on the south entrance escalators this morning and by my return this afternoon all were running again. So I only have myself to blame for missing the 1626.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
While I appreciate the sentiment these look absolutely terrible.

What do they look like on the other side?

I don't think they look terrible. They're good clear signage (and better than frosting over the glass).

ASharpe

Does it bother anyone else that the clock on the northern concourse is about 3 minutes slow?

The clocks on the new box/help point by the main entrance are not a lot better.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Does anyone know what work took place this weekend in the short-stay car park being used as the taxi rank? Taxis were laying over in the Princes [sic] Exchange car park until this afternoon. I couldn't see anything from my garret, but it sounded as if white lining was taking place.

skyhigh

Established Member
Does anyone know what work took place this weekend in the short-stay car park being used as the taxi rank? Taxis were laying over in the Princes [sic] Exchange car park until this afternoon. I couldn't see anything from my garret, but it sounded as if white lining was taking place.
They're changing the arrangements for pick up/ drop off round the rear. Unsure of the precise details but they were painting lines this morning.

class 9

The old short stay will be a 3 lane loop, one for pick up/drop off and one for Hackney carriage taxis, middle lane to depart.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_173728_Content.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_173728_Content.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 158

YorksLad12

Established Member
They're changing the arrangements for pick up/ drop off round the rear. Unsure of the precise details but they were painting lines this morning.

The old short stay will be a 3 lane loop, one for pick up/drop off and one for Hackney carriage taxis, middle lane to depart.
Thanks both. Interesting... and weird. So the current drop-off zone will close? Feels like the arrangements change every 9 months or so at the moment!

skyhigh

Established Member
Thanks both. Interesting... and weird. So the current drop-off zone will close? Feels like the arrangements change every 9 months or so at the moment!
The recent arrangements were pretty poor and caused havoc at busier periods so it makes sense for them to be amended. Hopefully this will be the last time for a while...

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I used to go and do my advance business in New Pudsey rather than deal with the queues in the travel centre. Times have clearly changed.
I used to book loads of Advance tickets in the travel centres at Leeds all the time, it was a really convenient place to do it without being hurried, though queues weren't exactly quick. In the days when all your delay repay claims were done by mail, and before bank transfer etc. was offered. Good times, funny to think I used to buy Advance tickets and tickets with particular seat bookings over the counter all the time, and now I can't remember when I last did it.

YorksLad12

Established Member
The recent arrangements were pretty poor and caused havoc at busier periods so it makes sense for them to be amended. Hopefully this will be the last time for a while...
I think a bit more work might be needed. There used to be a row of cones to stop people parking up. All they did was park up a bit further way from the kerb, almost into the opposite lane. Those cones have now been moved to outside the multi-storey, and the space used by taxis waiting to enter the rank, although there seem to be more of them than there used to be - I've seen more than 10 trying to turn and park up.

Trouble is, it's not a marked, dedicated taxi layover spot, so they have to mix it with private hire vehicles and private cars who park up willy-nilly. One private car and a PHV almost came together this afternoon while one was turning round at the multi-storey entrance/exit (not helped by a vehicle tucked into the Princes Exchange park exit). That caused a few issues for the taxis waiting to leave the layover queue, and those waiting to enter it, and anyone else wanting to get past.

Cars are dropping off on the sort-of roundabout near the now-closed drop-off area; and in the loading bay; and on the approach to the multi-storey (as previously); and blocking the entrance to the actual pick-up and drop-off area (which doesn't help the taxis turning right from the queue). And on Wellington Street inbound (really!), Whitehall Quay, Boar Lane and King Street. None of this is being policed in any way. There's no more space to do anything though, unless the whole ground floor of the multi-storey is turned over to waiting (say 15 minutes free, maximum one hour), with on-street waiting banned for private and PHV cars.

Or, they could have opened up the space in front of The Queens (which has double yellow lines on it, bizarrely, given that it only for The Queens) for taxis only to use.

Gripe over ;)