• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I nearly said in my last post that I'm kinda of glad it has gone now, it's just a shame that it couldn't have been used anywhere such as at Keighley & Shipley, both are crying out for some sort of canopy. Especially as Keighley is/was shortly to undergo its latest million pound refurbishment and it would suit the station perfectly since it is also Midland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
An update has arrived for we Railway Neighbours (some time over the last week - the letter is dated the 12th).
  • Round-the-clock working from Saturday 23 to Monday 25 May
  • Final stage of piling on Saturday 30 May
Much of existing Platform 1 now dismantled, completion hoped for by the end of June. Sleepers for Platform 0 laid. New, temporary Platform 1 (130m long) to come into use on Tuesday 26th, and the 40m-long passenger walkway connecting it to the station (there's no diagram of this and I can't visualise it - unless it's just the buffer end of the existing P1).

[They also make comment on the "successful" information event held on 13 March, with around 75 visitors but not many local residents. It would have been around 76 visitors but when I pitched up at 6.30pm the person on hotel reception said that they'd gone home (it was supposed to finish at 7pm).]

Completion still expected for December 2020.

_toommm_

Established Member
An update has arrived for we Railway Neighbours (some time over the last week - the letter is dated the 12th).
Much of existing Platform 1 now dismantled, completion hoped for by the end of June. Sleepers for Platform 0 laid. New, temporary Platform 1 (130m long) to come into use on Tuesday 26th, and the 40m-long passenger walkway connecting it to the station (there's no diagram of this and I can't visualise it - unless it's just the buffer end of the existing P1).

[They also make comment on the "successful" information event held on 13 March, with around 75 visitors but not many local residents. It would have been around 76 visitors but when I pitched up at 6.30pm the person on hotel reception said that they'd gone home (it was supposed to finish at 7pm).]

If I remember, I shall take some photos of the temporary walkway, along with the new one-way system tomorrow morning and post them on here.

Halifaxlad

Established Member

Its basically like this!

Screenshot_20200521_162847.jpg

YorksLad12

Established Member
Bit difficult to see over the boarding, but here's a unit leaving new temporary platform 1 / 0A / whatever this morning.
IMG_2339.JPG

johntea

Established Member
What are they up to with the P6-8 down escalator? It’s now completely covered up in a construction ‘shed’!

M60lad

What are they up to with the P6-8 down escalator? It’s now completely covered up in a construction ‘shed’!

I wonder if its having a complete refit, they did a similar thing with the escaltors from the Railway Station upto the Concourse at Manchester Airport recently.

Neptune

Established Member
I parked on the top floor of the multi-storey today and took this photo of the temporary platform 1.

Attachments

• AEB99375-38BB-43E2-9A2B-52C41FFB3498.jpeg
    AEB99375-38BB-43E2-9A2B-52C41FFB3498.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 233

YorksLad12

Established Member
It will fit 6 x 23m vehicles.
Interesting - the temp platform is supposed to be 130m; 6x23m = 138m. If the buffer stop ends up level with the edge of the car park (which is what that old CGI image seemed to show) there's about one carriage length from there to the current red lights. It'll be longer than P17 then?

Also, good picture (I keep thinking about wandering over, but never do).

Neptune

Established Member
I must admit looking at it 6 x 23m vehicles would be a tight fit. I’m just quoting what I’ve been told. There are no plans to have more than 1 train in there at a time anyway.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I must admit looking at it 6 x 23m vehicles would be a tight fit. I’m just quoting what I’ve been told. There are no plans to have more than 1 train in there at a time anyway.
Sounds about right though, if the plan is to run single three-carriage class 331s in the daytime but double them up to six in the peaks. Wikipedia says the train length is 71.4m, so double that for two units coupled and add a bit because trains stop short of the buffer. "Close enough for jazz", as they say.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Sounds about right though, if the plan is to run single three-carriage class 331s in the daytime but double them up to six in the peaks. Wikipedia says the train length is 71.4m, so double that for two units coupled and add a bit because trains stop short of the buffer. "Close enough for jazz", as they say.
If coupling and uncoupling is to be allowed, or indeed double-docking of units without coupling or uncoupling, then some extra length is needed to allow a gap between units.

Neptune

Established Member
This is only a temporary platform to allow the works on platform 0 which involved closing the current platform 1 (which is now trackless). There are also no wires up on the temporary platform. The temporary platform is for Harrogate line services which run as single 170’s.

YorksLad12

Established Member
This is only a temporary platform to allow the works on platform 0 which involved closing the current platform 1 (which is now trackless). There are also no wires up on the temporary platform. The temporary platform is for Harrogate line services which run as single 170’s.
Given the racket last night (and as I write) it must also be almost platform-less. Certainly hope so, I don't think I could take a week of this...

Grumpy

A letter in this month's Modern Railways magazine states that the cost of providing this extra platform is £161m.
Has that figure been quoted in any official publication?

YorksLad12

Established Member

Grumpy

There's this from Network Rail's news release about the public information event they packed up and left early (yes, I'm still annoyed): https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/...n-leeds-to-find-out-more-about-platform-zero/

This story from 2018 implies that it's £161m for the whole project, not just the platform (the NR release didn't turn up in my initial search): https://www.insidermedia.com/news/yorkshire/new-platform-lined-up-for-leeds-station
YorksLad12
Thank you.

johntea

Established Member
Indeed I got off a Harrogate service this evening which arrived at the temporary platform

What is annoying at the moment is Leeds station have come to some crazy one way system whereby passengers are now forced to access Platform 7-17 via the alternative bridge rather than the main one, which is a veryyy long walk to 17 if you have just alighted from a 1-4 service!

YorksLad12

Established Member
Indeed I got off a Harrogate service this evening which arrived at the temporary platform

What is annoying at the moment is Leeds station have come to some crazy one way system whereby passengers are now forced to access Platform 7-17 via the alternative bridge rather than the main one, which is a veryyy long walk to 17 if you have just alighted from a 1-4 service!
What about lift access? That's only on the western footbridge (unless they're allowing people to use the goods lift). Are the escalators off, or reversed if you can't go up that route?

Neptune

Established Member

The one way system is in place to help social distancing and avoid unnecessary contact in passengers going in both directions. Remember how narrow the staircases are on the west end footbridge.

Safety must come first.
What about lift access? That's only on the western footbridge (unless they're allowing people to use the goods lift). Are the escalators off, or reversed if you can't go up that route?
Staff are on hand to assist passengers via the goods lifts. All avenues are covered.

johntea

Established Member
Does the temporary Platform 1 have capacity for multiple units?

On the departure boards today my train to Harrogate was showing as Platform 1B

Harvey B

Is the temporary platform 1 going to be platform 0 or will platform 0 be connected to the normal platform 1?

YorksLad12

Established Member
It's 130m long (so Network Rail says) - so yes. However, it's a straight replacement for the actual platform 1 which only had a train in there every two hours or so after the changes in February (and the other changes in March). 130m gives you more flexibility if things go wrong, I would guess, rather than just making it long enough for a 3-car class 170 - although you can only get diesel and bi-modes in there, and it's too short for a class 800/801/802.

Platforms 0 & 1 will back onto each other, according to the artwork. That's what they're building now.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I parked on the top floor of the multi-storey today and took this photo of the temporary platform 1.
A random thought made me look at this photo again... the temporary platform looks wide/deep enough to be replaced with track to form a siding when the actual platforms 0 & 1 open. Was that ever in this plan? One of the early iterations from five years ago had a second track so that trains in 0B could escape if something was in 0A.

I doubt the car park would be re-extended over that space. Although... I wouldn't put it past them ;)