• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

Halish Railway

Established Member
I know that this thread has been dormant for a while but I have some pictures that I took from my train whilst I was waiting for it to leave:

1D2E1746-F8E1-4D8F-B744-8EE9652E6145.jpeg
ECE28872-CDD2-4D6F-AF1B-751008F0F9F8.jpeg

It seems like since the last photos were shared on this thread more of the removal of platform 1 has taken place. Interestingly, it seems like you can see one of the arches that supports the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thanks. And... interesting! That's probably one of the arches over the weir.

Every so often (such as last night) a large unfolding crane arrives and struggles to get through the gates into the car park, followed by at least two lorries with concrete. It looks as if the concrete is then piped up and over the blue hoarding. I thought there'd be more concrete down by now, given the work they've been doing.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Minor update from my eyrie: lots of support columns going in for the new canopy over platforms 0 & 1. They fit well with the rest of the station, in being bland and architecturally insignificant. It's all so grey at Leeds... :rolleyes:

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Minor update from my eyrie: lots of support columns going in for the new canopy over platforms 0 & 1. They fit well with the rest of the station, in being bland and architecturally insignificant. It's all so grey at Leeds... :rolleyes:

at least it runs the full length of the platform!

YorksLad12

Established Member
True! Always feel sorry for people on platform 17 during wet weather. Especially if I'm among them.

There's some overnight piling going on the next couple of weekends, apparently.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Another residents' update: "... from 00.01am on Saturday 31 October until 4am on Monday 2 November our teams will be working around-the-clock..."

"We will be taking possession of the railway..." - in fact, the whole station is closed from 22:40 on Saturday 31 October until 11:40 on Sunday 1 November according to National Rail. "Possession of the railway" always makes me wonder if Yvette Fielding isn't somehow involved.

There was some more piling last night - didn't hear a thing!

_toommm_

Established Member
Copied from NRE (It’s quite long so I’ll put it in a spoiler box):

Incident created: 31/10/2020 00:00

End date: 01/11/2020

Route affected

CrossCountry between Glasgow Central and Sheffield; Edinburgh and Birmingham New Street, Newcastle and Plymouth

East Midlands Railway between Leeds and London St Pancras International

LNER between Harrogate / Leeds and London Kings Cross

Northern all routes through Leeds

TransPennine Express between Edinburgh / Newcastle / Scarborough and Liverpool Lime Street; Hull and Manchester Piccadilly

Map of affected area

Train operator affected

TransPennine Express

East Midlands Railway

London North Eastern Railway

Northern

CrossCountry

Description

Engineering work is taking place in and around Leeds station from 22:40 on Saturday night until 11:40 on Sunday morning, closing all lines.

CrossCountry:

Late Saturday evening and Sunday until 1140. Trains will not call at Leeds.

CrossCountry will operate a replacement bus service between:-

Saturday night

• Doncaster, Wakefield Westgate and Leeds

Sunday morning

• Wakefield Westgate and Leeds
  • York and Leeds.

East Midlands Railway:

Saturday

The 20:02 London St Pancras International to Leeds service will terminate at Sheffield.

Sunday

The following services will start at Sheffield:-

The 09:50 Leeds to London St Pancras International

The 10:50 Leeds to London St Pancras Ineternational

Customers are advised to use other alternative routes or services.

LNER:

From 22.40 Saturday until 11.40 Sunday there will be no services to or from Leeds station. Services will start or terminate at Doncaster or Wakefield Westgate. Throughout Saturday and Sunday Harrogate services will start and terminate at Leeds.

Northern:

Buses will replace trains between:

Leeds and Wakefield Westgate.

Leeds and Knottingley.

Leeds and Castleford.

Leeds and Shipley.

Leeds and Ilkley.

Leeds and Garforth / York.

Leeds and Selby.

Leeds and Bradford Forster Square.

TransPennine Express:

On Sunday morning, there will be no trains through Leeds station. An amended timetable will be in place on Sunday morning which means that some trains will be subject to alteration. Replacement coaches will be provided for customers travelling between Huddersfield, Leeds, Selby and York.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I seem to remember something similar to this happening last year. This means that they might run Ilkley to Bradford Forster Square services in place of the Leeds trains. Interestingly these trains skipped Baildon and Frizinghall as the only reason that they went to Bradford was to:

a) Connect with the RRBs to Leeds at Shipley.
b) Use Bradford as a turnaround point.

HarryL

New signage has popped up in Leeds Station and it's a mess, a mix of Brunel and original Rail Alphabet, both in weights too thick. Not sure why they've done this rather than use the new Rail Alphabet 2 signage they've just shown off, it doesn't even meet guidelines for their current signage and they've made the strip along the bottom generic blue instead of Leeds green.

I don't know how to embed tweets on this forum, so I'll leave a link to the tweet showing it. https://twitter.com/sprinterveg155/status/1318913317604347904

YorksLad12

Established Member
Beat me to it - they went up overnight, I think. Tried to take a photo from where I am but the combination of a long telephoto and my shaky hand meant it was all a bit unreadable. I can cope with Generic Blue (they'd need 20 colours to cover all of their stations) but the mixed fonts would wind me up. Wonder what the ID manual says? It's quite comprehensive, as I recall.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The new loos on platform 8 are very nice - like in a trendy restaurant.

There's an extra cubicle too which is also an improvement.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Was today the last day for the use of the temporary platform?

I suspect so. Boards have gone up this week on the rebuilt (well, I assume it's been finished) P0/1 to fence off P0. I'm guessing that this weekend's work is to reconnect P1 track. If I spot anything interesting I'll take a photo.

This might count as interesting: the support for the wires for P0 seems to be where the temporary P1 platform access was. We've got strong winds and occasional driving rain at the moment - wouldn't like to be on that cherry picker o_O

DSC_1298.jpg

Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
I suspect so. Boards have gone up this week on the rebuilt (well, I assume it's been finished) P0/1 to fence off P0. I'm guessing that this weekend's work is to reconnect P1 track. If I spot anything interesting I'll take a photo.

This might count as interesting: the support for the wires for P0 seems to be where the temporary P1 platform access was. We've got strong winds and occasional driving rain at the moment - wouldn't like to be on that cherry picker o_O

View attachment 85321
Any update on this weekends work.
K

YorksLad12

Established Member

skyhigh

Established Member
Platform 1 is 'back' in use, the temporary platform has now closed. Platform 0 is currently blocked off but due to open in December hopefully. The roof is currently missing off platform 1 due to coronavirus-related factory shutdowns.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Lots of visible progress this last week. The roof panels for the platform canopies have gone in, the track extended the extra 50m or so toward the gateline (I slept through that!) and the blue fencing panels have been coming down, to be replaced with metal fencing... should anyone want to go down to the car park with a camera ;)

Bigman

Does anyone have any up to date shots of how the West end of the station is now looking? Not been into town for 3 months now so I am curious to see what the track layout/signalling looks like. Thanks in advance.

DB

Anyone know what happened to the old canopy from Platform 1? Part of it was about the only visible part of the pre-2000 station which remained, apart from the main concourse.

Rikki Lamb

Anyone know what happened to the old canopy from Platform 1? Part of it was about the only visible part of the pre-2000 station which remained, apart from the main concourse.
It was removed by network rail and was considered past it. The message I received on the matter from NR is a few pages back on this forum

DB

It was removed by network rail and was considered past it. The message I received on the matter from NR is a few pages back on this forum

Thanks. I wondered whether the parts had been donated to a heritage railway as I know that often happens in cases like this.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thanks. I wondered whether the parts had been donated to a heritage railway as I know that often happens in cases like this.

The canopies were hacked about a bit before coming down. The pillars (were they cast iron?) were more knocked over than eased out carefully, I saw a couple that were just pushed over from the top, clanging to the platform as they fell.

Some unexpected digging noises until 1am this morning, and again mid-morning, so not sure what needed a pneumatic drill at this stage. The angle of view and perspective is a bit odd from my flat; it almost looks as if there's space for a second track, so that a unit in P0B can escape if there's something on P0A. That was one in of the plans, years ago. Ducting is in, cable runs taken place; I guess everything will be connected up and the OHLE strung up over the Christmas & New Year shutdown.

superkev

Established Member
Does anyone have any up to date shots of how the West end of the station is now looking? Not been into town for 3 months now so I am curious to see what the track layout/signalling looks like. Thanks in advance.
As requested pictures taken today of Platform zero.
Looks almost complete.
Isnt there some sort of shutdown over christmas to finalise signaling etc.
K

Attachments

• IMG-20201216-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20201216-WA0006.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG-20201216-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20201216-WA0007.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 175

xotGD

Established Member
Looks like the canopy goes all the way to the end of the platform. That makes a nice change.

superkev

Established Member
Looks like the canopy goes all the way to the end of the platform. That makes a nice change.
I wonder if with completion of Platform zero that the original plan for pairs of 3 car 331s on the Aire/ Warfedale lines will be resurrected and the 4 cars swapped with Allertons 3 cars.
I suspect the North west will be reluctant to part with them.
K

Bigman

Thanks for the shots superkev. Much appreciated. I won't be able to recognise the place the next time I am down there.

YorksLad12

Established Member
As requested pictures taken today of Platform zero.
Looks almost complete.
Isnt there some sort of shutdown over christmas to finalise signaling etc.
K

@superkev's second photo shows what I was saying earlier. The platform at the far end curves leftwards while the fenceline stays straight, so that there's a gap for a second line. The catenary support pillars are in the way though, so I guess not.

There hasn't been a residents' update from what passes for a stakeholder engagement team on this project, but I'm expecting heavy plant moves and lights shining into my flat (even though the work is behind them) next weekend during the shutdown. What I can't work out is why the line of yellow fencing has appeared alongside the black fencing. It looks like the kind of blue fencing used to separate work areas from running lines, except yellow and running alongside the much larger black fencing.

Not quite. In this photo, the canopy ends roughly where the orange people are whereas the platforms run on for 50m or so. It's still way better than P17A (and P17B, for that matter, which only covers one carriage).

Attachments

• CIMG1300.jpg
    CIMG1300.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56