• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

Halifaxlad

Established Member
So this new roof is going to let in lots and lots of light during the day...what about at night?!

I noticed this walking through Leeds station yesteday evening, it made the concourse very dark in appearance as it was dark outside! Where is the 'less natural' lighting going to be situated on the roof?

At least let them finish it first! If they have and all the scaffolding is down and gone, please forgive me as I haven't been through recently.

It's certainly going to be interesting the types of light fittings and where they will hang them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At least let them finish it first! If they have and all the scaffolding is down and gone, please forgive me as I haven't been through recently.

It's certainly going to be interesting the types of light fittings and where they will hang them.

Due to be finished end of September I believe.

Ant158

The new roof looks a bit like the same wonderful material they used at Manchester Victoria. Hope it looks better than that when finished.

johntea

Established Member
I have just passed through, they have removed around 50% of the scaffolding now and it was pitch black had it not been for the use of several very bright floodlights on ground level :D

mm333

According to NRES, there are no trains through Leeds for 12 hours from 2340 on Saturday 26 October, for “station improvement works”.

I wonder if that’s when the big reveal is.

rich-leeds

The refurbished toilets on the South Concourse are now open for business and the last of the scaffolding boards has come down overnight to reveal the full extent of the replaced roof. Stange to see so much daylight in there after such a long period as a cave. Looks good. Sorry no pic.

johntea

Established Member
I’m not struck on the supporting beams to be honest, it’s certainly not a Kings Cross competitor for me!

Cuboid

I’m not struck on the supporting beams to be honest, it’s certainly not a Kings Cross competitor for me!

Then again isn't this concourse roof supposed to be changed when the station integrates with HS2 when that arrives? I believe this is a nice temporary but permanent structure which is nicer than before.

But then again one (of the many) reasons why HS2 could be over budget is the need to create ridiculously expensive stations - personally what's wrong with a nice, tastefully designed & locally influenced designed station that's basically a box that doesn't cost an absolute fortune.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The roof's certainly looking quite nice now.

One interesting feature is that they have removed most of the 1980's marble pannelling off of the walls to reveal some attractive red glass mosaic wall tiling, which I presume must date from the 1960's rebuild.

I can't help thinking how stylish this must have looked with the pine ceiling !

Andyh82

Established Member
It’s quite a transformation and looks so different with all the light pouring in.

As said above, now they’ve done the roof, they’ve turned their attention to the walls, all the walls have been stripped back, all the shop signs removed, revealing the red tiles, and a million wires.

There is also no frontage at the moment, it’s basically just a roof.

As others have said, I wonder what the permanent lighting solution will be for when it’s dark.

1D53

Established Member
According to NRES, there are no trains through Leeds for 12 hours from 2340 on Saturday 26 October, for “station improvement works”.

I wonder if that’s when the big reveal is.
The engineering work is predominantly Platform 0 related.

johntea

Established Member
Leeds has now gone full London Paddington mode and removed the entrance glass and doors so at the moment it just appears to ‘merge’ into the outside!

Presumably just a temporary measure whilst they’re finishing off the construction works although I actually quite like it! ;)

Spartacus

Established Member
Leeds has now gone full London Paddington mode and removed the entrance glass and doors so at the moment it just appears to ‘merge’ into the outside!

Presumably just a temporary measure whilst they’re finishing off the construction works although I actually quite like it! ;)

I hope it’s temporary otherwise there could be a terrible wind tunnel effect with the prevailing wind from the west diving down there instead of along the through platforms (which is bad enough at times anyway...).

AndyHudds

Any chance somebody can grab a couple of pictures?

It's still a bit of a hitch potch in all honesty, it is a lot more lighter though although they have the whole of the front entrance off at the minute. Is the floor getting re-done anyone know?

coppercapped

Established Member

Which glass and doors are you referring to at Paddington?

class 9

Just taken a couple of photos of the concourse, but can’t post as it says file too large. Any pointers please?

JamesT

Established Member
Yeh I know that, how do you do that on an iPhone?

Either download an app that can resize them, or email them to yourself. If you click on the image attachment in mail then you can select different sizes.