• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds station overall roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
Sat in Leeds station, just thinking what a shame they didn't make the roof all glass. It's somewhat gloomy even with the bit of glass they did use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Legolash2o

Whilst googling to find an image of the Leeds roof, I found this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-46692186

Work has started on a £161m redevelopment of Leeds railway station.

The building will get a new transparent roof over its main concourse, a new platform and alterations to some existing platforms and tracks.

The street outside the front of the station will be altered, with part of the road pedestrianised and a number of bus stops moved.

Network Rail said the roof was expected to be finished by next summer with the rest of the work completed by 2021.

As part of the changes the station's long-stay car parks would be gradually closed, it said.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The current work is putting glass over the 1960s concourse, not the platforms. The 1960s concourse was barely touched in the 2001 rebuild, so the work is long overdue...

However it only solves the poor atmosphere in that concourse. It does nothing for the congested bridge area or the horrible eastern footbridge (another aspect that was barely touched back in 2001, other than the extra span to platform 16).

2 decades of diesel fumes have built up on the new roof, so it's probably due for a deep clean.

Cuboid

I believe there are masterplans somewhere to re-develop the roof over the platforms as part of the HS2 station integration, as well as a wider bridge at the other end & also pedestrianisation of New Station Street completely with integration down to the Scarbrough Taps pub below.

However, in the mean time they could do with a thorough deep clean of all steel work in the roof & supporting structures. Makes it look worse than it should.

caliwag

I worked on the St Pancras refurb. Glass is considered expensive, relatively, and then there is the cleaning issue, especially over the OLE. I notice Leeds doesn't get cleaned often, if at all...Dust from humans and brakes combined with atmospheric damp and diesel fumes...not a great combo...would look good when the queen came to open, no doubt

rich-leeds

2 decades of diesel fumes have built up on the new roof, so it's probably due for a deep clean.

I remember going to an organised site visit during the Leeds 1st project back in 2000, where the team were proudly announcing how the new overall roof was going to be really easy to clean, hence the white tubular structure. I'm not sure that it's been cleaned once since completion.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I worked on the St Pancras refurb. Glass is considered expensive, relatively, and then there is the cleaning issue, especially over the OLE. I notice Leeds doesn't get cleaned often, if at all...Dust from humans and brakes combined with atmospheric damp and diesel fumes...not a great combo...would look good when the queen came to open, no doubt

And suspended glass in places like railway stations has allsorts of requirements to be (literally) bomb proof, etc.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The roof over the platforms is decent enough.

Perhaps its time for a lick of paint. It is nearly twenty years !

rich-leeds

It seemed really bright and airy when it was built--the 60s shed was much darker. A clean would make a big difference.

lincolnshire

Here is a picture that I put on another post on here about Leeds Station. Just look at the amount of dirt, fluff etc that has collected on this wire mess on this signal and thats down near the ground level. I wonder what its like high up on the walkways high up in the station roof where the lighting is located.
Not a very good design of roof area if you can,t clean it. All the overhead line insulators are all caked in muck. Years ago when steam was on the go they used to have to clean them its time these was all cleaned up.
IMG_20190216_153027.jpg

quantinghome

Established Member
Years ago I had an interview with the company who designed the station upgrade. The project budget had overrun so the ventilation system was de-spec'd as a cost-cutting measure.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The roof has enough overhead walkways, so I'd be surprised if they can't clean up there.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Years ago I had an interview with the company who designed the station upgrade. The project budget had overrun so the ventilation system was de-spec'd as a cost-cutting measure.

It would have been more worthwhile installing it at Man Vic anyway.

rich r

Could train the pigeons to flap against the dirtiest bits. :) If they'd painted the metalwork diesel-soot black then it wouldn't show as much. It's only really the lower parts and the area around the platforms served by more electric services that you can tell it is white.

themiller

The roof has enough overhead walkways, so I'd be surprised if they can't clean up there.
That only applies to the exterior of the roof. The inside is more of a challenge and is likely to be contaminated by years of diesel exhausts. It’ll need a scaffold erecting to reach there not impossible but expensive and disruptive.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That only applies to the exterior of the roof. The inside is more of a challenge and is likely to be contaminated by years of diesel exhausts. It’ll need a scaffold erecting to reach there not impossible but expensive and disruptive.

More of a challenge, but I'm sure if you look up, there are quite a few suspended walkways under the roof as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.