• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds - Swindon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Well, I did tell them both on the Friday to book them then, and he could just get them at the station...

But nooooooo

Tuesday night my sister comes in - Help us find some train tickets!! And because it was after 18:00 they couldn't get any advance tickets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

metrocammel

There is most definately a moral to this tale though, and it has already been mentioned a couple of posts previous. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, don't attempt to do it.
I don't want to tar all ticket office staff with the same brush, as there are of course exceptions, but the majority want an easy life, and do not want to be 'messing around' selling lots of split tickets. This means they will often try to fob you off- and unless you know the rules like the back of your hand, it is often hard to win....

... If you insist on splitting tickets, rather than going to a TO, it is often far easier going on one of the online ticket retailers, and doing it yourself. Saves a lot of queueing, and a lot of hassle!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tuesday night my sister comes in - Help us find some train tickets!! And because it was after 18:00 they couldn't get any advance tickets

I know that feeling, I've often had my sister come in and ask me to look for the cheapest tickets possible at short notice. It can involve hours sat in front of the PC/laptop trying to find bargain combos or whatever. Not that you've got better things to do...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My suggestion is this:

Use Avantix Traveller!
Print off exactly what you want. Make sure the date, origin, destination, railcard discounts, number of persons etc are all correct. Use Print Screen to get an exact screenshot.

Then hand them the screenshot(s).

I did that before, the only problem I had was Avantix said YRK-PBO Off Peak Day is Super Off Peak Day but at the station it was Off Peak Day, so at first they claimed it "does not exist", I told them to look up the code (GDR - also on the Avantix printout) and they found it with the code. All ticket types have a 3 letter code. (SVR = Saver, oops I mean Off Peak:roll:)

See attached screenshot for 3 adults + 3 children with a FAM railcard travelling on a Saturday from PBO to YRK. Handing this in would result in them issuing the right ticket. And if they get it wrong simply hand it back saying "No, look...." and point where they got it wrong. Check at the time of purchase. Also a printout adoids them moaning at you for talking too quickly or for talking too slowly (both of which have happened to me:roll:)

Attachments

• avantix.PNG
    avantix.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 14

Bayum

Established Member
What did i tell you??

I dont know how to use Avantix - at all!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
See attachment...

Attachments

• avantix_for_dummies.PNG
    avantix_for_dummies.PNG
    118.7 KB · Views: 20

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah yes, I hadn't taken the time of travel into account, however the SHF-DBY ticket you mention is the day return, not the open, so the fare would be £27.50 (£18.50) Anytime Return, thereby making the total with railcard £73.25.
Hmm.... but that would be silly to pay £18.50 for Shf-Dby, when for £21.10 you can get a ticket from Leeds to Derby.

My advice would be:

(all returns, obviously)

Leeds-Derby Anytime £21.10
Derby-Brum Off Peak £9.05
Brum-Cheltenham Off Peak £12.10
Cheltenham-Bristol Off Peak £9.25
Bristol-Swindon Off Peak £8.90

TOTAL = £60.40

Total saving is around a third off the rip-off Anytime through fare.

By the way I found a fish & chip shop where it was 10p cheaper to buy fish and chips seperately last Summer (a customer queried why they had been overcharged) but only the railways manage to rip people off like this.

Bayum

Established Member
See attachment...

I know how to use it in that respect...

I'm not so stupid, I don't know what Origin and Destination mean...

It's like, knowing what each ticket is, and the abbreviations at the side etc etc, knowing what ticket can be used where, times it can be used etc etc

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know how to use it in that respect...

I'm not so stupid, I don't know what Origin and Destination mean...

It's like, knowing what each ticket is, and the abbreviations at the side etc etc, knowing what ticket can be used where, times it can be used etc etc

If you doubleclick on the price it tells you the full name of the ticket (on the left) and any restrictions on the right.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
careful - he may now claim he does know how to double click ;)

seriously though I am always up for explaining things to people but when you ask what part someone is stuck on and they say they can't use it "at all" all you can do is start at the basics, so please no moaning when people try to help. ta :)

Status
Not open for further replies.